SWAP MEET 2016 OFFICIAL INFORMATION THREAD

Started by Zelyhon, April 20, 2016, 11:12:39 AM

Zelyhon

Okay, everyone, I appreciate your patience.  I'm co-ordinating with the social media people to put out official notice through the official channels, but I wanted to make sure that those of you regulars here got the notice as early as possible.

SWAP MEET REGISTRATION OPENS AT 9:00 p.m. on Friday, May 13. 

Here is the link you will use to sign up for Swap Meet, which will start working on Friday.

https://apps.fanime.com/2016/swapmeet/

It should be the same process as last year.  I don't know if it applies to anyone here, but we've somewhat formalized the process for refunds, since there was a bit of an issue with it last year.  Otherwise, the process should be the same as last year, where some people may have to be manually cleared through the system by Swap Meet staff to continue on to the next step of the process.  We've gotten pretty good at it over the last few years, so it should hopefully proceed in an organized and quick manner. 
Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff

warbearer

OtakuAngel87

that's just sad, but I hope you won't have to go thru that again this yr if you're selling
Quote from: warbearer on May 12, 2016, 09:36:07 PM
Quote from: OtakuAngel87 on May 12, 2016, 09:09:01 PM
out of curiosity what was it that you were selling that the parent was soo desperate to leave their kid there
Quote from: warbearer on May 12, 2016, 07:29:30 PM
Quote from: Ecchi ja Nai on May 12, 2016, 07:27:13 PM
I agree with Michi, South Hall (aka the big blue tent) was an excellent location.  Probably second only to being in the convention center itself, which apparently will never happen again.

The year it was at the City National Civic Theater was the worst, location wise.  It was way too small to accommodate even a reasonable number of people at any given time for Swap Meet.  If I recall correctly, I still managed to sell pretty well, but everything I heard from people trying to get in later was that it was a huge headache.  There were definitely a lot fewer people coming in to browse because of the limited capacity, and I also noticed fewer people made multiple laps or return trips throughout the night.  Second worst location was the Fairmont, partially because of the distance from the convention center, but also because of the really confusing way sellers were spread out through multiple ballrooms.

I don't remember when seller signups went up the last couple of years.  It definitely seems like it creeps closer and closer every year, but I didn't think it's been this close to the start of the con before.

I remember a parent who would leave his to cry at my space so I would give the toy to the kid for $1 until one of the staff kicked him out.

sorry misintrepid it. The father and his baby wanted to buy this toy loose http://www.tfu.info/2000/Vehicon/Mirage/mirage.htm for $1 when I was selling it for $5. The kid cried and the father refused to leave my space until I would give it to him for $1 and driving of potential customers until one of the staff told them to leave and he made excuses that I refuse to give the toy to his son for $1.
Fanime 2017 Cosplay Lineup(tentative):
Himouto Umaru
Mikuzukin
Hatsune Miku (original)
Sailor Moon

Ecchi ja Nai

Zelyhon, thanks so much for the update!  I'm sure I speak for everyone that's been posting here in saying we really appreciate you throwing us a bone by giving us a heads up before the info goes up through other channels.  Plus, who knows exactly when that would be anyway.

Thank you for your continued communication in leading up to the con!

Moonbug

Quote from: Ecchi ja Nai on May 12, 2016, 11:34:26 PM
Thank you for your continued communication in leading up to the con!

Absolutely, you've been amazing with communication! If they have a Staff of the Year, I nominate you. :)
Moonbug; noun; a girl named Moonbug.

...well that was lame.

www.moonbugwings.com
www.facebook.com/MoonbugsMakes

srossi455

Thanks for the heads up! Although I must say, maybe I'm just lucky, but I've always been able to get into Swap Meet, even when I missed the registration and it sold out. With it being in South Hall again, I'm not worried at all. This should make for a good start to the con.

warbearer

That's ok. The worst one would be when a dealer, who tried to cause trouble, came to my booth near end and tried to lowballed on the games me and I refused and then he slammed the games on ground. And then he tried to pin it on another dealer on the board. And the dealer, who was the one causing trouble, at the swap meet event denied it. All because the other dealer refuse to comply with him.

Quote from: OtakuAngel87 on May 12, 2016, 10:43:20 PM
that's just sad, but I hope you won't have to go thru that again this yr if you're selling
Quote from: warbearer on May 12, 2016, 09:36:07 PM
Quote from: OtakuAngel87 on May 12, 2016, 09:09:01 PM
out of curiosity what was it that you were selling that the parent was soo desperate to leave their kid there
Quote from: warbearer on May 12, 2016, 07:29:30 PM
Quote from: Ecchi ja Nai on May 12, 2016, 07:27:13 PM
I agree with Michi, South Hall (aka the big blue tent) was an excellent location.  Probably second only to being in the convention center itself, which apparently will never happen again.

The year it was at the City National Civic Theater was the worst, location wise.  It was way too small to accommodate even a reasonable number of people at any given time for Swap Meet.  If I recall correctly, I still managed to sell pretty well, but everything I heard from people trying to get in later was that it was a huge headache.  There were definitely a lot fewer people coming in to browse because of the limited capacity, and I also noticed fewer people made multiple laps or return trips throughout the night.  Second worst location was the Fairmont, partially because of the distance from the convention center, but also because of the really confusing way sellers were spread out through multiple ballrooms.

I don't remember when seller signups went up the last couple of years.  It definitely seems like it creeps closer and closer every year, but I didn't think it's been this close to the start of the con before.

I remember a parent who would leave his to cry at my space so I would give the toy to the kid for $1 until one of the staff kicked him out.

sorry misintrepid it. The father and his baby wanted to buy this toy loose http://www.tfu.info/2000/Vehicon/Mirage/mirage.htm for $1 when I was selling it for $5. The kid cried and the father refused to leave my space until I would give it to him for $1 and driving of potential customers until one of the staff told them to leave and he made excuses that I refuse to give the toy to his son for $1.

PacificPikachu

I'm guessing it stops at Step 5 to check your registration in the system before paying for the space and all that? I entered my badge info but I can't go any farther yet (to payment, etc.) as far as I can tell. I seem to remember it being the same last year, just popping in to make sure I'm not missing anything.

warbearer

Quote from: PacificPikachu on May 13, 2016, 09:06:58 PM
I'm guessing it stops at Step 5 to check your registration in the system before paying for the space and all that? I entered my badge info but I can't go any farther yet (to payment, etc.) as far as I can tell. I seem to remember it being the same last year, just popping in to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Have you tried reloading or clicking one of the link to go back to step 5 and move to step 6?

PacificPikachu

Quote from: warbearer on May 13, 2016, 09:20:19 PM
Quote from: PacificPikachu on May 13, 2016, 09:06:58 PM

Have you tried reloading or clicking one of the link to go back to step 5 and move to step 6?

Thank you, that did the trick! I wasn't sure if it would allow me to move on but now I'm all paid and ready to go. :D

Ecchi ja Nai

Nice and easy reg again this year.  I got ID 9208.  Guessing I was the 7th or 8th to register?

One thing I noticed was that we would be contacted with our assigned space.  I don't remember that from previous years, aside from the spot where you could put in a special request.  Are the spaces going to be planned and assigned ahead of time?  I think that would make things a lot easier for us sellers when we get there.

warbearer

I got 9207. I think we have to check our account for our spaces

Zelyhon

Quote from: Ecchi ja Nai on May 13, 2016, 09:28:13 PM
Nice and easy reg again this year.  I got ID 9208.  Guessing I was the 7th or 8th to register?

One thing I noticed was that we would be contacted with our assigned space.  I don't remember that from previous years, aside from the spot where you could put in a special request.  Are the spaces going to be planned and assigned ahead of time?  I think that would make things a lot easier for us sellers when we get there.
That's just the standard language that goes along with it.  Per the normal rules, we'll try to be accommodating regarding some requests about where you will get your spot, but nothing is 100% guaranteed.
Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff

rogerfox

I want to ask about a question on an item we may sell at Swap Meet: Is power cables allowed to be sold? We just have several of them and want to see if that's a sellable item, don't want to get in trouble by trying to bring it in after all.

WolfyMask

Hello!

This is my first time going to Fanime, and I decided to sign up for the swap meet in hopes of clearing out some of my old fandom-related stuff (and to make some money to fund the rest of the weekend :p). I'm really excited! I just have a few questions if someone with more experience would please answer?

1) Are we allowed to sell used jewelry? I saw something about cosplay jewelry being "at the discretion of the staff", and I wondered if I should bother bringing the jewelry I have. They're not really cosplay-related, but I did buy a few of the pieces at previous conventions.
2) How much does stuff usually sell for? I tried to figure this out online, but I haven't been able to find an answer. If someone could give me a typical price range on the various items, I would really appreciate it! Items I'm selling: DVDs, a figurine, old prints, t-shirts, manga, plushies, pokemon cards, a few other fandom-related things...
3) Is there a map somewhere of the convention grounds that points out the locations of things like the swap meet and registration? I may be arriving somewhat late on Thursday (around 5:30), and I don't want to wander around too long and miss the set-up time (which I understand begins at 6?).
4) To previous sellers: how much do you usually bring, and how much of what you bring usually sells? I don't have a /lot/ of stuff, but I figure if I sell about half of it, this should be worth it :) Also, do more people sell or trade? I'm down for either, but I would prefer to sell enough to at least make back the $40 fee.
5) How strenuously does the staff usually look over the items you bring in? From the rules listed, it makes me feel as though they're going to pick through all my goods, which seems like it would take a while o.o Also, since I won't be checking into a hotel beforehand, I'll have all of my other stuff with me in addition to the stuff I'm selling... is that allowed?
6) Do we ever get a chance to look over and swap with the other sellers? I'd really love to see what everyone else is selling and get a chance to trade for some more goods!
7) Will there be someone to watch over my stuff if I need to run to the restroom or something? I will be by myself, since the only other person I know at the convention doesn't arrive till late Thursday night...

Sorry for all the questions, but thanks in advance to anyone who responds! :)

Ivycat

I would go to Swap Meet - Best Practices topic on the second page of this form. Lots of good information there

WolfyMask

Quote from: Ivycat on May 16, 2016, 04:25:10 PM
I would go to Swap Meet - Best Practices topic on the second page of this form. Lots of good information there

That answered several of my questions, thanks!

I think only questions 1, 3, and 5 weren't answered in that thread.

Kyra_Maverick

It's been a few years since I've sold so rules may have changed a bit by now.

Jewlery - I've sold small things like necklaces and bracelets that could be used for cosplay but was mostly just scene/costume jewlery. As long as it's not overwhelmingly jewlery you're selling it should be fine.

Maps - Another user posted a link to a map in the General Convention board that might help with layout. Basically Reg and Swap Meet are on the same side of the convention center with Reg being in the Marriott on the second floor and Swap being on the ground floor in the large blue/white stripe building just past the Marriott.

Items Check - when I sold, staff just sort of riffled through your selling boxes to make sure everything was on the up and up. Throughout the night they would walk the sales floor making sure you were following the 18+ rules and thats also when they could get a better look at any potential counterfit goods. If you had something they didn't allow they would ask you to set it aside and not sell it.

Zelyhon

Quote from: Kyra_Maverick on May 16, 2016, 05:52:27 PM

Jewlery - I've sold small things like necklaces and bracelets that could be used for cosplay but was mostly just scene/costume jewlery. As long as it's not overwhelmingly jewlery you're selling it should be fine.

Maps - Another user posted a link to a map in the General Convention board that might help with layout. Basically Reg and Swap Meet are on the same side of the convention center with Reg being in the Marriott on the second floor and Swap being on the ground floor in the large blue/white stripe building just past the Marriott.

Items Check - when I sold, staff just sort of riffled through your selling boxes to make sure everything was on the up and up. Throughout the night they would walk the sales floor making sure you were following the 18+ rules and thats also when they could get a better look at any potential counterfit goods. If you had something they didn't allow they would ask you to set it aside and not sell it.
This is still pretty accurate.  It comes down to staff discretion on jewelry, but if you don't have a whole spread that looks like you're trying to sell Artist's Alley goods in Swap Meet, you should be fine.

Item check information is also accurate.
Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff

WolfyMask

Quote from: Kyra_Maverick on May 16, 2016, 05:52:27 PM

Awesome! Thanks so much for replying :)