So what's there actually to do at Fanime this year around?

Started by bebop, April 28, 2016, 10:42:11 PM

bebop

I've been a Fanime attendee for over 7-8 years now, and every year I feel like all I do is just walk around, take photos, look at other cosplayers, look around in the same halls over and over, experience the "rave" scene, walk around more, and perhaps watch some anime or do some other things, like karaoke and that's it.

Seriously what else is there to do at Fanime? I've somewhat done a little bit of everything throughout the years, but still finding myself quite bored at times. What's the really fun stuff in your opinion? Any ideas?
Awakening to otaku inside. ^-^

Michi

It really depends on what you like doing. I've been attending for over 15 years but every now and then there's a panel listing that really impresses me, or some cool stuff to watch late at night. There's also sometimes good concerts, and other events. I highly recommend the swap meet, and the karaoke contest can be fun to watch too.

I do spend most of my time just cosplaying and taking photos. But the game room and artist alley at Fanime are some of my favorites at any con, so I also really always enjoy those too!
~ don't dream it, be it ~

Facebook / Twitter / Tumblr

Xeluu

I'll second the recommendation to check out the Swap Meet! It's fun to see rare items, and also get good deals.

I've always been a fan of the Game Show, in recent years it's been held on Stage Zero, around 10-11PM, or 11-Midnight?

Check out some panels (although it's harder to simply stumble upon one of interest since they've been moved to the Fairmont), and sit down and play some random games in the Gaming Hall. (I highly recommend a game of Fluxx, plays somewhat similar to Uno. Easy to pick up, but fun none the less.)
2016 Cosplay Plans
Gomamon/Gabumon - Digimon
Jolteon Gijinka - Pokemon
Oogie Boogie - Nightmare Before Christmas

Beejan-a-licious

I highly recommend checking out the Dojo. Team Lift and The Twilight Knights do performances there. Team Lift does movie stunts and parkour stuff while The Twilight Knights do different panels and workshops (that you can participate in). Definitely worth checking out.

echoshadow

Check out the Black and White Ball, take some free dance lessons, That's pretty much all I can recommend, others have filled in.

Next step is to explore Downtown San Jose. Watch a movie, go clubbing, wine and dine.  Lots of great places to check out, that's if your fine walking in downtown, some people are "uncomfortable" walking around when the sun goes down.

Sounds like you reached your fanime limit like me. We both sucked out as much juice we can out if it. Still a fun time you just have to find other stuff to perk your interest again.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

HunterZero

You get out of Fanime what you want to get out of it.

For example, I'm putting on four hours of panels, and hosting both Midnight Madness and the Hentai Music Videos contest and exhibition. I think all of that stuff is really good and fun, and that's like 12 hours of content.

Try new things. Check out new anime. Go to random panels. Find meetups and meet new people. Play in game room. Read in the lounge (if they have it again). Wander the dealer's room. Visit Artist's alley and sponsor some people.

Seriously, you get out of it what you put into it.
Cthulhu for President!
"Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened people, there is only enlightened activity." -- Shunryu Suzuki

JohnnyAR

Quote from: echoshadow on May 04, 2016, 08:31:15 PM
Check out the Black and White Ball, take some free dance lessons, That's pretty much all I can recommend, others have filled in.

Next step is to explore Downtown San Jose. Watch a movie, go clubbing, wine and dine.  Lots of great places to check out, that's if your fine walking in downtown, some people are "uncomfortable" walking around when the sun goes down.

Sounds like you reached your fanime limit like me. We both sucked out as much juice we can out if it. Still a fun time you just have to find other stuff to perk your interest again.

This, a million times. I can't stress enough how seedy after midnight, kinda like gremlins,

InsaneDavid

Quote from: JohnnyAR on May 05, 2016, 04:53:08 PM
Quote from: echoshadow on May 04, 2016, 08:31:15 PM

This, a million times. I can't stress enough how seedy after midnight, kinda like gremlins,

It's actually gotten worse this past year.  Crime downtown has gotten a bit out of hand lately.
I'm ALWAYS active on the forums!

Retro Cosplay, Easy As XYZ

echoshadow

Really? I was over there on February, seemed pretty normal to me. Just the typical rowdy crowd from the sports bars, but nothing for me to worry about.

Maybe it's just me but I'm comfortable walking around downtown San Jose,  it's a lot better than walking around downtown LA, I'll tell you what. ;)

But yeah, if your not comfortable with downtown city folk, make sure to go in a group. Or get a taxi, uber or what nots.

Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

InsaneDavid

Quote from: echoshadow on May 05, 2016, 08:40:33 PM
Really? I was over there on February, seemed pretty normal to me. Just the typical rowdy crowd from the sports bars, but nothing for me to worry about.

Maybe it's just me but I'm comfortable walking around downtown San Jose,  it's a lot better than walking around downtown LA, I'll tell you what. ;)

But yeah, if your not comfortable with downtown city folk, make sure to go in a group. Or get a taxi, uber or what nots.

Don't get me wrong, it's not some super violent place and there are far more dangerous areas in the Bay Area - and San Jose for that matter, but at night it's nowhere as safe as it once was from what I've seen this year so far.  Crime as a whole in San Jose... I don't know if it has gotten worse, it's just gotten... I dunno... strange?  Maybe like a step to the side?  Maybe because a lot of lower offenses are cited rather than jailed now?  I don't know.
I'm ALWAYS active on the forums!

Retro Cosplay, Easy As XYZ