FANIMECON 2016 KARAOKE: Events, Info, and Online Signups!

Started by Ska, May 05, 2016, 03:39:46 PM

Ska

Whether you sing in the shower or on the radio, you're welcome to FanimeCon's Karaoke room! Open from 2pm to 2am on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, you are welcome to sign up for open mic Karaoke, participate in one of our amazing contests, or just come and listen to all the great singers! With our jaw-dropping catalog of over 9,000 anime, video game, J-Pop, K-Pop, and Disney songs (most with lyrics in both their native language and English) as well as a full American karaoke system, our database likely contains every song you have ever heard in your entire life.

Be sure to check out our enticing contests, too! With some great prizes and unique formats, your voice may win you big!

Events:
Karaoke Contest
How good is your singing, really? Can you hit the highest highs and the lowest lows? Can you carry a tune, or will you just be dragging it through the mud? FanimeCon's Karaoke Contest is the place to find out how good you really are. Friday night, with Preliminary Rounds starting at 6pm and Final Rounds at 9pm, be at the Karaoke Room to have your chance for the sweet, sweet sound of victory.
Prelims: Friday at 6pm
Finals: Friday at 9pm

KARAOKE CONTEST RULES AND INFO

KARAOKE CONTEST ONLINE SIGNUPS

We will only accept the first 35 valid entries for pre-con signups. We do have at-con signups but they are first come, first serve. These at-con slots fill up quickly, so if you're serious about participating make sure to sign up early!

Acoustikaraoke
Acoustikaraoke Signup Form:FanimeCon 2016 Acoustikaraoke Signup Form
Do you play a musical instrument? Show off your own original work or special arrangement of your favorite anime or video game song on stage at our Acoustikaraoke contest! Both (small) groups and solo acts are welcome to compete their talents against one another. Do not miss this amazing collection of FanimeCon's most unique performances!
Saturday at 7pm

Karaoke Gong Show
Gong Show Signup Form:FanimeCon 2016 Gong Show Signup Form
Sunday at 10pm begins the most foul Karaoke journey ever attempted on stage -- the Karaoke Gong Show! If your skin is thick enough and your mind twisted enough then you've got a fighting chance at being the dreaded Worst of Show! Yes that's right, these performers have what it takes to entertain, to amuse and amaze our audience (and judges) with such unique and outlandish acts of comedy that they might completely defy any and all explanation. Due to how terrible these novelty acts (and the judges) are, this is an 18+ event.
Sunday at 10pm

More specific contest rules and info will be posted in the coming days, so please look forward to that. Feel free to use this thread to discuss our events, ask questions about our contests, or just to ask how karaoke at FanimeCon works. I'll try my best to answer any questions you may have. Thank you for reading, and let's get excited for Karaoke at FanimeCon 2016!

Jupeboxgal

Thanks Ska!! :D I marked my first song as not being karaoke because I haven't found a karaoke version yet, but I'm gonna do my best to find or make one by the competition. >:3

princesskitty18

Fanime attendee since 2006
2012 Black & White Ball volunteer
2013-now Black & White Ball Staff

Follow us on Facebook page and Twitter!
- https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
- https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

life

hey ska, i was hoping i could get a little more clarification on the karaoke contest rules.

when the rules specified how to submit materials on a usb drive, it mentioned prelims, semis (if applicable), and finals. does that mean we have to prepare for semis as well, or should we just have the prelims and finals as the rest of the rules and the contest sign-up sheet state?

also, it says that we can bring our own lyrics, but what kind of format should they be in? could we just have them on our phone, or on a sheet of paper?

thanks!

Ska

We're not having semifinals this year, so it wasn't applicable. I've went ahead and edited that part so it only says prelims and finals, bringing it in line with the rest of the rules. Thanks for pointing that out.

Lyrics should be in whatever format you are most comfortable with. Phone, Sheet of paper, hand-held whiteboard, etch-a-sketch, as long as it doesn't violate any other rules you should be fine.

If you have submitted a version of a song that we have in the database, you can ask us to display our database lyrics for that song.

If submitting songs via usb, it may be possible to have your lyrics on your usb device in a text file and for us to display it on our lyrics screen, but it is something that must be OK'd at con by tommy and myself, and I can make no promises as to if it will be legible at all. I highly suggest to anyone who may have thought about this idea to have a backup plan in case we can't or won't allow this to be done.

Hope this clears everything up!

pantsu

Thanks Ska!!  Got my info in (hopefully) in time to sing again this year!!

Super excited....this is one of my favorite parts of Fanime!
2018 lineup:
Fri - Miss Frizzle
Sat - Oren Pierre Alfonso (KR Gaim)
Sun - General Leia (SW: TFA)
Mon - Samwell jersey (OMG Check Please!)

marisuga

If I'm singing a song that has well known officially used versions in both Japanese and English, can I switch between the two languages between verses? If not that's totally cool, just wondering!

princesskitty18

ska, i have a request. On my signup form, I believe I put 'no preference' for timing.
but can i actually change that to 'as late as possible'?
so of the 45 individuals, if i can be anywhere between 23-45, that would be perfect
if not, then i can still make my schedule work.
thanks!

Ska

For anyone that's worried, we still haven't hit cap yet.

Quote from: marisuga on May 10, 2016, 12:02:55 PM
If I'm singing a song that has well known officially used versions in both Japanese and English, can I switch between the two languages between verses? If not that's totally cool, just wondering!
As long as the song allows for it, I have no problem with it. For your specific case, I'm sure the judges will have fun with it.

Quote from: princesskitty18 on May 11, 2016, 12:30:47 PM
but can i actually change that to 'as late as possible'?
Fixed that for ya.

princesskitty18

Ska, when will thou post the contestant list? Even if it hasn't hit the cap yet? Trying to plan my Friday night. Thanks!

Ska

I don't think we've ever posted the contestant list on the forums. Our contest list usually isn't organized until we've closed the at-con registration. If it helps, prelims run from 6-8 plus runover from delays or other problems. going as late as possible would have you somewhere after 7pm. Can't really give any other info besides that right now.

Ranko Nara

Hey Ska, quick question!

I filled out the form with a song that I changed my mind about. Can I choose a different one at the con?

Acey Arisen

Totally gonna be at the Acoustikaraoke one! I'll be the one with the red plaid ukulele. c:
My Tumblr
Planned 2016 cosplays: Amethyst (SU), God Tier Roxy (HS), Summer (Rick And Morty), Ebony Dark'Ness Dementia Raven Way (My Immortal)

Acey Arisen

One request, though--can I have a relatively early slot, if it works that way? I have an event at 8 that night.
My Tumblr
Planned 2016 cosplays: Amethyst (SU), God Tier Roxy (HS), Summer (Rick And Morty), Ebony Dark'Ness Dementia Raven Way (My Immortal)

pantsu

Hey Ska, a quick question since I can't remember from last year....the 1:30 time limit for the prelim round, is that 1:30 from when the singing begins or total time?  My 1st song has like a 30 second instrumental intro, so 1:30 would cut off in the middle of the chorus unless I trim the intro.  I'm putting a fade out at the end, but I need to know if I need to clip the beginning to fit (total run time is ~1:40 with the whole intro left in)

Thanks!  Can't wait!
2018 lineup:
Fri - Miss Frizzle
Sat - Oren Pierre Alfonso (KR Gaim)
Sun - General Leia (SW: TFA)
Mon - Samwell jersey (OMG Check Please!)

Sygmus

Cool, I'm glad I was still able to sign up! I wasn't sure if I could make it on Friday but now that I know I can, I was hoping I could still sing. Been doing this for maybe five years now.

Ska

Quote from: Ranko Nara on May 23, 2016, 07:29:55 PM
I filled out the form with a song that I changed my mind about. Can I choose a different one at the con?
You're allowed to change/rearrange your song choices at check-in, just let the person helping you know what you're changing.

Anyone who does intend to do this, make sure your new selection still falls within our rules! Especially the 'One song from an anime' one. it'd be silly to have to disqualify someone cause of an oversight like that.

Quote from: Acey Arisen on May 23, 2016, 10:21:20 PM
One request, though--can I have a relatively early slot, if it works that way? I have an event at 8 that night.
If/when you fill out the form, there is an option to go early/late as possible, or no preference. If you missed this or something has come up and you need it changed, just inform the person checking you in at con and they'll fix it for you. Remember we'll be starting finals around 9pm, and we'll be announcing who moves on to the finals around 8:30-8:45(however long it takes us to finish and tabulate)

Quote from: pantsu on May 24, 2016, 01:54:58 AM
Hey Ska, a quick question since I can't remember from last year....the 1:30 time limit for the prelim round, is that 1:30 from when the singing begins or total time?  My 1st song has like a 30 second instrumental intro, so 1:30 would cut off in the middle of the chorus unless I trim the intro.  I'm putting a fade out at the end, but I need to know if I need to clip the beginning to fit (total run time is ~1:40 with the whole intro left in)
So, the way we've been running it is that you should get either 1:30 of singing time, or a verse and chorus of the song. We generally err on the side of the shorter option. If it's a solid 1:30 of singing and they have at least started the chorus of the song by 1:30, we will let them finish unless that stretches on into the 2minute mark. In your case and cases like it, if you left the intro unedited, we would fade you out after the end of the chorus(basically where you are adding your own fade.) It's your choice to edit the beginning, ask me to start you at a specific time in the song, to think of a routine to fill the time (that fits within our rules,) or do nothing. hope that helps jog your memory!

and gosh, we're getting close to time. This is a last call for online signups. We still have a few slots left so if you haven't signed up yet, please do so! I'll be closing them sometime tomorrow so I can pack it all up and start the trek north. If you are reading this after it's been closed, we will still have at-con signups! They are first come, first serve and will be available when we open for check-in and warmups.

Fresh V

I have a couple questions

1) Let's say I'm doing a song that's originally in Japanese but there's an unofficial fanmade version with English lyrics. Am I allowed to sing it with the unofficial English lyrics, or would that be against the rules?

2) Also, I found a karaoke version of one of my songs on Youtube created through vocal dampening, and most of the background vocals are removed or barely audible. But there are still a few audible traces of the original vocals which you can hear in some parts like the chorus. Would this be a violation of the no backup vocals policy? Here's the instrumental: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QwUnDtZx6A

Acey Arisen

I'm doing the Acoustikaraoke thing, Ska. I didn't see a time option on there.
My Tumblr

Tokufi

I was wondering, since you can bring lyrics along, will there be a stand to put your lyrics?