Questions about Autograph Sessions?

Started by powerofunity, May 14, 2016, 08:24:07 PM

powerofunity

Hi everyone! I have three quick questions about the autograph sessions at Fanime this year. I've never been to one, but I really want to get Masaya Matsukaze's. :D

1. How early do people usually start (or are allowed to start) lining up for the autograph sessions?
According to this Guest of Honor page: http://www.fanime.com/guests-of-honor/ , you're supposed to ask where to line up if you arrive early. For those of you who have experience with autograph sessions, when would you recommend starting to line up?

2. Is there a limit to how many people can attend each autograph session?
Since each autograph session is an hour long, I imagine there's a cut-off to how many people staff will allow in line. Have any of you ever been turned away from getting an autograph, and why? Is it usually just a "stay in the line and hope for the best" situation?

3. Is it considered taboo to ask voice actors to sign a Death Note?
Since one of Masaya Matsukaze's most recognized roles is Teru Mikami from Death Note (who also happens to be one of my favorite characters from the series), I was considering bringing a Death Note prop to ask him to sign. Has anyone tried this before, or seen this happen before, and how did it go? For what it's worth, I had a friend who asked Takeshi Obata to sign a Death Note at New York Comic Con two years back, and he was fine with it, but I don't know if it's something that's discouraged in autograph sessions...?

Kuudere

I've been to a few autograph sessions, so I think I can help a little.

1. How early do people usually start (or are allowed to start) lining up for the autograph sessions?
I've never been at the front of the line, but I know that depending on the popularity of the guest, arriving an hour before start time may put you toward the end of the line. I'm guessing that the early-arrivers might be there up to two hours early. I'm sure someone has a better answer for this than I do, though.

Yep! I've never been turned away because I show up early, but I've been at the end of the line and seen staff tell lots of people they were out of luck and wouldn't be able to join for that session. Fanime staff have been pretty good at knowing when to cut off the line so that people aren't waiting around only to be turned away in my experience. Also some guests are looser with the timing and will stay later if their schedule permits, and some truly have to be out of the room and somewhere else right when the session ends. Better to just assume that they'll only stay for their allotted time, though.

I can't imagine that it'd be an issue since it's directly related to his role (and I'm sure he won't think you're trying to kill him). The only thing that might be bad is if it's not official merchandise, which can in some cases be viewed as tacky.

GokuMew2

Quote from: powerofunity on May 14, 2016, 08:24:07 PM
Hi everyone! I have three quick questions about the autograph sessions at Fanime this year. I've never been to one, but I really want to get Masaya Matsukaze's. :D
Glad you're looking forward to seeing him. :)

According to this Guest of Honor page: http://www.fanime.com/guests-of-honor/ , you're supposed to ask where to line up if you arrive early. For those of you who have experience with autograph sessions, when would you recommend starting to line up?
If it's similar to how we've done it in previous years (sorry I'm not Autographs staff), there'll be a separate waiting room and we'll bring in a group of people at a time. If someone comes in really really early, they'll likely be put in a new line that is separate from the current line. I think most people start lining up an hour early. Depending on how desperate people are, perhaps earlier. There will be two sessions, one on Saturday and another on Sunday so if you miss out on Saturday's, you'll probably have a good idea of when you should line up for Sunday.

Since each autograph session is an hour long, I imagine there's a cut-off to how many people staff will allow in line. Have any of you ever been turned away from getting an autograph, and why? Is it usually just a "stay in the line and hope for the best" situation?
Yes. We try to get through as many people as we can in the allotted time but may have to cut off the line if there are too many people waiting when the hour is almost up.

One thing to remember is that the number of people we can get through depends on the attendees.
Please have your item ready to be signed by the time it is your turn. This includes deciding where you want the item signed ahead of time, having the item opened to the page you want signed, etc. Please take your item and move away after you are done so the next person can have their turn. Too often attendees will stand there after their item has been signed and we have to ask them to please leave. This slows down the line and can cause people to miss out. Please also do not try to engage in conversations with the guest. A short comment or two is fine, but there is not enough time to go back and forth. Needless to say, we cannot entertain requests for posed pictures with guests. A staffer can take a picture of you and the guest as your item is being signed, but we can't stop the line from moving along.

Please don't take offense if you're asked to move or leave. We are just trying to get through as many people as possible. And sorry but no, you cannot have more than one item signed.

**Generic "you"s and "your"s.

Since one of Masaya Matsukaze's most recognized roles is Teru Mikami from Death Note (who also happens to be one of my favorite characters from the series), I was considering bringing a Death Note prop to ask him to sign. Has anyone tried this before, or seen this happen before, and how did it go? For what it's worth, I had a friend who asked Takeshi Obata to sign a Death Note at New York Comic Con two years back, and he was fine with it, but I don't know if it's something that's discouraged in autograph sessions...?
We've allowed fan items such as art and cosplay props signed in the past. It's no problem. ...Though perhaps it would be nice if he can sign on the cover instead of inside the book. ;) (You can have it signed wherever you want.)

There's really only an issue with licensed goods when it comes to things like CDs or DVDs. We might not turn away unofficial merchandise such as playing cards, but officially licensed goods are definitely preferred.
< Mew >
FanimeCon Guest Relations (2009 - Present)
Person who gets Japanese guests

powerofunity

Thank you, Kuudere and GokuMew, for the super informative and helpful answers! :) I was planning on lining up 30 minutes before the autograph session starts, but it looks like I'll have to bump the time up even more. I'm really thankful that there will be two autograph sessions, just in case the Saturday one doesn't work out.

I'm also glad to hear that Fanime staff is pretty good about knowing where to cut off the line. My worst fear was getting near the front of the line and being told I was out of luck lol. So hearing what you two have to say is very reassuring. I will do my best to be a quick attendee in line haha.

And thank you so much about the tips regarding official vs. unofficial merchandise. I never even considered that, though it definitely makes sense! (Though tbh I have no clue whether the Death Note prop I got is official merch or not haha.) But I do like the idea of having him sign the cover -- that might actually look better than getting an autograph on the inside.

Thanks again for the great answers! And to GokuMew for getting such an awesome guest! I am super pumped for Fanime this year~

And if anyone else has questions about autograph sessions, feel free to make use of this thread! I'm sure I'm not the only one who'll be going to an autograph session for the first time. :)