2017 Old School Cosplay Gathering

Started by InsaneDavid, November 16, 2016, 03:30:46 PM

InsaneDavid

More of a placeholder and a quick posting for those anxious for pictures from the gathering.

Official FanimeCon pictures can be found here -

Tye / Imperal, FanimeCon Friday, 4pm - 7pm Gatherings Gallery -
https://fanimecon.slickpic.com/albums/FanimeCon-Friday-4pm-7pm/?wallpaper
(scroll down to see an awesome set of official pictures from the gathering)

Unofficial photos from your gathering hosts will be up mid-week.  If anyone has pictures from this gathering, please post them in this thread!  During the middle of this week I will begin to assemble a gallery index listing as pictures surface after Fanime wraps up.

Thank you again to all who attended or showed interest in this gathering!
I'm ALWAYS active on the forums!

Retro Cosplay, Easy As XYZ

Angelx624

I had sooo much fun at the gathering!! ^^ Will get my pictures up soon! <3

Also hope to see everyone again next year. :) I'm sure I'll be doing another old school cosplay(if anything I'll be Aerith/Aeris next year so already got one XD )
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

InsaneDavid

Okay, unofficial gallery is up, as well as the official Fanime gallery.  Both these are linked in the SECOND POST on the first page of this thread.

Quote from: Angelx624 on May 29, 2017, 11:13:14 PM
I had sooo much fun at the gathering!! ^^ Will get my pictures up soon! <3

Also hope to see everyone again next year. :) I'm sure I'll be doing another old school cosplay(if anything I'll be Aerith/Aeris next year so already got one XD )

Thank you so much for attending once again!!

The gaming theme for next year means it might be time to bring out the Densha de Go! bullet train suit again (which hasn't been to a convention since Fanime 2015) or Taizo Hori from Dig Dug (which hasn't been to Fanime since 2015 but I've worn it elsewhere since) for the 2018 Old School Cosplay Gathering.

InsaneDavid

New gallery added, check the second post!

InsaneDavid

Final Facebook Event post for 2017, mirrored here for completeness:

Hello old schoolers!  I hope everyone has decompressed from Fanime by now, is finishing up cosplay cleaning and/or repairs (I know I still am), and getting things in order for next convention - next cosplay - next vintage anime purchase.

Thank you again to everyone who attended or expressed interest in this gathering!  It means so much to me that so many of us keep this gathering alive.  Now Facebook gets kind of weird with gatherings that have already occurred, so I'm not sure how much traffic this post may get, but I want to kind of open things up to our gathering attendees...

Does anyone have any comments about the gathering or suggestions for 2018?  Both moving the gathering to 6pm and the massively expanded photo order were based upon suggestions from the previous year!

It's a long way off but for 2018 we plan on keeping the same day and time, Friday at 6pm.  Additionally we will be in an indoor location as long as it is possible.  I'm not opposed to moving the gathering to a less traffic-heavy location and have discussed such unofficially, but anything concerning that will have to be sorted out next year when Fanime 2018 is closer.

Additionally for 2018 we will be providing some sort of giveaway to ALL Old School Cosplay Gathering attendees.  Some may remember the tons of stuff I gave away in 2016 (thank you again for giving a lot of my duplicates and excess anime merchandise a good home).  I wanted something similar for 2017, but it to be gathering specific, however ran out of time.  I was thinking something along the lines of a yearly button or ribbon.

If anyone has any suggestions or comments I can be reached via PM or comment here, or a message to Mokkori Cosplay on Facebook.  I will continue to collect gathering galleries as they are posted, they can be found right here in the second post.

Thank you one more time!  I look forward to seeing everyone again on the Friday evening of FanimeCon 2018!

...which will be the 50th anime anniversary of Cyborg 009 and Gegege no Kitaro.
...the 40th anime anniversary of Space Pirate Captain Harlock and Galaxy Express 999.
...the 30th anime anniversary of Samurai Troopers, Mobile Police Patlabor, and GunBuster.
...the 20th anime anniversary of Card Captor Sakura, His and Her Circumstances, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Outlaw Star, and Serial Experiments Lain.

...and those are only off the top of my head!  What an anniversary year!

Angelx624

The 6pm time on Friday is perfect, I think. And I loved the expanded photo order. ^^ Definitely think it should stick. <3

But maybe we can have a photo request/suggestion for dead characters? XD I'll try to remember tossing in that request for next year, if I'm not the only dead character at the gathering. :P
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

Nina Star 9

Aww, looking at the photos, I'm sad that I missed it. :[ (My panel at that timeslot went well though)

Well, there's always next year! Glad it went well this year, and I hope everyone had a good time :D

InsaneDavid

Quote from: Angelx624 on June 04, 2017, 06:16:36 PM
The 6pm time on Friday is perfect, I think. And I loved the expanded photo order. ^^ Definitely think it should stick. <3

But maybe we can have a photo request/suggestion for dead characters? XD I'll try to remember tossing in that request for next year, if I'm not the only dead character at the gathering. :P

Yup, 6pm seems to be the best time.  Late enough for most people to be off work and checked in, yet not too late to interfere with those wanting to sell at Friday swap meet.  It's kind of a good "gathering, dinner, swap meet" little block because if you're an old school cosplayer you probably like buying older stuff at swap meet - or you have things to sell yourself.

I'll add a dead / expired / lifeless item to the photography order for next year.

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on June 05, 2017, 11:24:34 AM
Aww, looking at the photos, I'm sad that I missed it. :[ (My panel at that timeslot went well though)

Well, there's always next year! Glad it went well this year, and I hope everyone had a good time :D

Glad your panel went well!

I ran into a few people throughout the convention weekend that were at the gathering on Friday (some at other gatherings, most just out and about) and they all seemed to enjoy it.   While I would love to hit 100 attendees next year, truth of the matter is I'm super humbled that anyone shows up at all.  I really can't wait to do it again for 2018.

I was planning on bringing back some of my gaming-themed cosplays for the gathering next year (either Namco X Capcom / Dig Dug / Baraduke or Densha de Go!) but with it being the 30th anniversary of Patlabor, I see Friday at Fanime in blazing orange in my future.

Another day of people assuming we work for the convention center, assuming we work for facilities, assuming we work for the convention, assuming we are security, assuming we are parking attendants, and generally thinking we are authoritative and asking questions when they need help.  Still always happy to help out any fellow con-goers and point them in the direction of official channels for things I don't know or are beyond a question suited to ask another attendee.  Ah, but it's all fun.  They do serve as a beacon to the older fandom otaku though, which allows us to meet a lot of cool people when we wear it.

As Shigeki Arakawa says in Patlabor 2 The Movie, "Your unit's uniforms stick out like a sore thumb."
And as Kiichi Goto replies, "Yeah, and they're not the best for us middle-aged guys either."