Self-Publishing Panel (now separate thread)

Started by StevenSavage, December 11, 2016, 07:34:05 PM

StevenSavage

I had proposed this earlier, but thought I'd make a separate thread - who'd want to see a nuts-and-bolts self publishing panel.

I'm doing one for AODSF, and it wouldn't be hard to export it to Fanime depending on the internest of the crew on it.  We've got 1 non-fiction author, 3 fiction, and a game designer.

So would anyone want an event like that that goes to the hard-core execution, from finding time to formatting for Kindle?  Would an hour be enough as I can easily see it being two parts or two hours.  What would people want to see?

thepharaohinleather

I would be very interested in this kind of panel! Whatever you feel us beginning writers and hopeful future published authors would need to know about getting our work out there.
Attendee since 2009

One day I'll cosplay again

StevenSavage

Shouldn't be too hard.  The outline I'm looking at would be:
1) Basic ideas and marketing.
2) Professional-level writing/completing (based on goal)
3) Proper writing tools.
4) Basic conversion.
5) Covers and more.
6) Putting it together.
7) Getting it out.
8) Promotion.

Firefury Amahira

That'd be an awesome panel idea! We sometimes get questions along those lines at the fanfiction workshop, and usually we have to regretfully inform folks that we just deal with the "how to write fiction for fanfic" side of things and aren't really equipped with the knowledge or info for actual publishing or for-profit stuff.

Based on my experience with the fanfic workshop, breaking your material up into two one-hour panels is probably your best bet. (Fanime scheduling tends to prefer one-hour slots.) Maybe divide it up along the lines of pre-publishing prep work and the post-publishing distribution/marketing type material?
"Fandom should be fun!" - Firefury Amahira
--
Looking for help writing fanfiction?

StevenSavage

Firefury,

That is a great idea!  Two panels, one after the other with a nice break!  I'll bounce it off of my possible team of people.

Any reccomendations on "selling" this idea to the staff so they select it?

Firefury Amahira

Quote from: DragonScholar on January 09, 2017, 07:25:28 PM
Firefury,

That is a great idea!  Two panels, one after the other with a nice break!  I'll bounce it off of my possible team of people.

Any reccomendations on "selling" this idea to the staff so they select it?
<badly belated response> Other than keep your explanation of your panel thorough but concise, not really. You want to be able to explain clearly what your panel is about, but at the same time you don't want Panels' staff's eyes to glaze over trying to read a huge Wall of Text. It's kinda like a marketing pitch in a way- you've got a narrow window in which to pitch your panel, so you don't want to clog it with vague or excessive text. </badly belated response>
"Fandom should be fun!" - Firefury Amahira
--
Looking for help writing fanfiction?