Fanfiction Workshop 2017 - [TIMES POSTED]

Started by Firefury Amahira, January 05, 2017, 01:22:24 AM

Firefury Amahira

Still flirting with the idea of swapping out Fanfic 120 for a panel specifically on some other niche writing topic such as "How to action scene," but I'm not really sure if there's a full 1-hour panel to be had from it. Suggestions are welcome, though it'll likely be the usual 4-panel format as previous years. (Assuming we get all four approved, of course!)

So, as usual, the tentative plan for the workshops this year:
Fanfiction 101: Friday, 5pm - Panels 3 The crash course into story basics. Panel covers basics such as organizing your plot, writing perspectives, types of scenes, avoiding writers' block, a brief overview of fanfic-specific subgenres and an introduction to fanfiction-specific jargon. Also discusses in brief the legal ramifications of fanfiction and tips for publishing online. Great introduction to the subject for anyone interested in getting into fanfiction writing, with a lot of the material we cover also being applicable to creative writing in general.

Fanfiction 201: Saturday, 2pm - Panels 3 The character focus panel. An intermediate panel that covers more advanced material pertaining specifically to characters and character creation. Includes material on writing and developing existing characters, creating antagonists, creating original characters, and how characters interact. Also explains the basics of what "Mary Sue" is, along with recommendations to avoid falling into that trap. Generally meant for writers who already have some practice under their belt, but also useful for beginners looking for more specific information.

Fanfiction 369 (18+): Sunday, 9pm - Panels 2 The "How to write sex" panel. Advanced panel discussing how to write erotica in fanfiction. Panel includes a brief lecture and powerpoint presentation with anatomical drawings detailing sexual anatomy and response, how to apply it to realistic erotica, suggestions on how to apply it to unrealistic erotica (tentacles!), and common sexual myths. Also covered are some narrative techniques for writing erotic scenes, such as the impact of language choice, in addition to some basics about incorporating fetish material into the story. Obviously, this is not a panel for children or the easily offended, given it involves some extremely frank discussion of anatomy, sex, kinks, and the occasionally extremely immature crude joke.

Fanfiction 120: Monday, 10am - Panels 3 Catch-all "Open Lab" discussion for various topics that don't quite fit into the other panels. Possible topics include titles and summary-writing, reviewing and reacting to reviews, and use of foreign language in fanfic. In addition, more specific information on writing certain scene types such as action sequences can be covered if there's an interest. Also open to questions and further discussion on topics from the 101 and 201 panels. More relaxed than the 101 or 201 panels, with more room for just bouncing story ideas around.

Once submissions open, we'll keep folks posted on the acceptance status/panels times. As always, recommendations and feedback are most welcome.
"Fandom should be fun!" - Firefury Amahira
--
Looking for help writing fanfiction?

iAteTheRamen

Hi! I started attending panels just least year, and Fanfiction 201 was one of them! I really enjoyed it, as well as the packets that you guys handed out. Although I've never been (yet), I'd love 120, especially with the idea that it's a "more relaxed open lab" kind of panel. Is the attendance usually much lower with it?

StevenSavage

Thought of doing one on AU's and variant settings?  Might be an interesting panel.

gwello

Quote from: DragonScholar on January 12, 2017, 07:19:12 PM
Thought of doing one on AU's and variant settings?  Might be an interesting panel.

^ THIS
I've seen a lot of fanfiction 101s that are more about writing basics than anything particular to fanfics.
I totally dig this idea. It speaks to the fluid nature of fanfics!

StevenSavage

Quote from: gwello on February 11, 2017, 03:29:54 PM
Quote from: DragonScholar on January 12, 2017, 07:19:12 PM

^ THIS
I've seen a lot of fanfiction 101s that are more about writing basics than anything particular to fanfics.
I totally dig this idea. It speaks to the fluid nature of fanfics!

I actually write on worldbuilding - original stuff usually - but I think I could contribute to an AU panel easily.  It'd also let us explore the idea of what fanfic is and can do!

And I've seen an Overwatch-as-battling-bakeries fanworld . . .

Firefury Amahira

Oh crap! I should actually remember to check the forums more often! ^^;;;;; We submitted our panels over the weekend already. The idea of doing a more worldbuilding or AU-focused panel is a neat idea, one I'll totally have to bring up with One. Too late to submit for a brand new panel, but if there's interest in the specific sub-topic, we can certainly go into it at the 120 panel!

@iAteTheRamen- Yeah, the 120 panel is typically lower attendance and a lot more cozy since it's typically late morning on the final day of the con- a lot of potential attendees are busy fussing with hotel checkout or having to hit the road to go home. Plus since it is sort of the open forum for niche topics that might not fit a full panel, it's a lot less structured than the other three panels are. We have a handful of niche topics to fall back on if nobody has something specific to focus on, but that one typically gets steered by stuff the attendees want to discuss.

Admittedly our 101 and 201 panels are more geared toward a lot of general writing knowledge that can apply both to fanwork and all-original works, but we do try to skew it toward how it applies to fanfiction writing specifically. :)
--

Firefury Amahira

Bit late to get this posted, but here's our time/rooms, also edited into the opening post:

Fanfiction 101: Friday, 5pm in Panels 3
Fanfiction 201: Saturday, 2pm in Panels 3
Fanfiction 369: Sunday, 9pm in Panels 2
Fanfiction 120: Monday, 10am in Panels 3

Looking forward to the convention! Now, time to go finish getting all my stuck packed and ready!
--