Is this allowed? (Questions regarding cosplay)

Started by moonerie, February 23, 2017, 10:56:13 PM

moonerie

I had a couple of questions so I could prepare my cosplays accordingly.
1) Do ice skates with guards on count as live steel/are they acceptable footwear? (Aka can I wear mine inside the SJCC?)
2) Do rollerblades count as acceptable footwear? (See #1)
3) For bows/arrows/quivers, I can't tell if it's a change from last year. How "secure" do arrows have to be in the quiver? Does this apply even when they can't hurt anyone? (Because I had a foam arrowhead last year, and I don't think I had an issue with it getting peacebonded/left outside of the quiver. Can I just get my arrow(s) separately peacebonded like last year after they're deemed "safe" or whatnot?
4) Please clarify policy regarding weapon props and picture? It says not to brandish weapon props (like swords) in the rules, but does this include when you're posing for photos?

Nina Star 9

I would recommend looking at the weapons policy:
http://www.fanime.com/rules/weapons-policy/

QuoteFanimeCon Rovers define "Live Steel" as metal which has, or can, take an edge. While this primarily applies to swords, it can also apply to other props.

Ice skates certainly qualify there. They're also really dangerous to carry around or ESPECIALLY to wear around. Don't do it!!
http://fabrickind.tumblr.com/post/155100717684
(Ice skates PSA, plus alternative footwear options)

I don't see anything about it in a quick glance on the weapons policy, but rollerblades or skates have never been allowed in the past as far as I know (just ask any Jet Set Radio or Air Gear cosplayers!). This is also dangerous to wear in a con setting and can possibly damage the floors of the convention center.

I don't know the answer to the quiver question, so you'll have to wait on an official answer there.

For brandishing weapons, I think that as long as it is clear that you are posing for a photo and are static, it's good. It's when you're walking around the con swinging a sword or pointing a gun at things or people that there's a problem. I've certainly never had an issue with posing with a clearly prop weapon, peacebonded, so it looks like I am about to use it or am in the middle of use, since it's a controlled environment of a static pose, no one around (or only someone I'm posing with around), and (a) photographer(s) standing there taking a picture of me. Of course, I try not to point prop guns into a crowd or near people anyway unless I'm pointing directly at the photographer and they clearly know it's a prop and can't fire. Things like posing with a fake arrow on an unstrung bow, again as long as you aren't pointing it into a crowd or anything, should be fine.

I think the official answer would be that you still shouldn't brandish a weapon, even in that specific setting, but I think that as long as you are smart about it, it shouldn't be an issue. Certainly, it's never been an issue for me and many years of cosplaying. ;]