Fan Name Issue?

Started by Nina Star 9, May 19, 2017, 05:28:20 PM

Nina Star 9

I got a confirmation email from the con about registration, and it told me that I needed to confirm that my fan name is correct before picking up my badge, and that I can change it in the online system. The fan name written in the email is horribly incorrect ("@@UDF1" is what they gave me, and I don't want to sound like some prisoner or android in a bad sci-fi film), but it is correct in the online system when I went to go change it.

Which should I trust, the online system, or the email I got? Should I email Reg to confirm? I don't want an incident like last year where they printed my real name twice instead of my fan name.

Jae-

Have the same issue with the exact same @@UDF1 in the fan name section. Shows up correct when going in the 'Edit Registration' page. Must be some sort of bug in the system.

Hopefully it's not a big issue, or else might be a long wait in the lines. :/

InsaneDavid

Yup, same thing here - I'd guess whatever is supposed to be populating the e-mail that was just sent out is pointing to the wrong place to grab the data.  No issues when logging in and printing the confirmation directly so I'm not worried about it.

At least no barcode fiasco like last year!!
I'm ALWAYS active on the forums!

Retro Cosplay, Easy As XYZ

Jae-

Quote from: InsaneDavid on May 19, 2017, 05:37:51 PM
Yup, same thing here - I'd guess whatever is supposed to be populating the e-mail that was just sent out is pointing to the wrong place to grab the data.  No issues when logging in and printing the confirmation directly so I'm not worried about it.

Just a side note, the QR code from the e-mail they sent vs the QR code viewed directly in the web registration account are different. So if you prefer the website confirmation, I would probably print the e-mail, too, just to be on the safe side.

Update: Support just responded to my inquiry and said they were aware of the problem and that the error is only reflected in the e-mail and not the system.

Nina Star 9

Good to know that it's just an email issue and not a system issue.

The different QR code thing is troubling, though -- I wonder if the con will be accepting either/or?

InsaneDavid

Quote from: Jae- on May 19, 2017, 05:51:40 PM

Just a side note, the QR code from the e-mail they sent vs the QR code viewed directly in the web registration account are different. So if you prefer the website confirmation, I would probably print the e-mail, too, just to be on the safe side.

Update: Support just responded to my inquiry and said they were aware of the problem and that the error is only reflected in the e-mail and not the system.

It has been like that every year since they moved to QR codes.  I always have both in hand but I have always given them the original confirmation (which will be the one if you reprint or request a re-email) and had zero issue.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Same here
My Fan Name is showing up as '@@UDF1' so its probably just a bad pointer or soemthing.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Sunara Ishi

Same thing here as well. I believe it was also "@@UDF1" in the email but on the confirmation screen it was correct.
I'm guessing it was a glitch error in the matrix code. As much as it is amusing for us all to belong to some elite sci-fi designation or something, I'd much prefer my fan name be correct and not to have to deal with line con.
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

Tomas Cosplay

It was the same deal with me. I really hope it's just a loose thread in the notification system.
Fanime 2020 Cosplay List
TBD

For my full list of cosplays see this link: https://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,21883.0.html

keitoghostie

I called the helpline about this and they said it was a widespread issue and that they'll be sending out a corrected email in the next couple days.
The fan name that appears in the registration portal will be the one on your badge!

aetherltd

Yes, "Your Fan Name is @@UDF1".

Also, the QR code is really tiny this year.  It's about 1cm printed, 42 pixels square. That may not scan on ordinary barcode scanners.

Please fix all this and resend, or it's going to be LineCon 2017.  Thanks.

InsaneDavid

Quote from: aetherltd on May 19, 2017, 09:34:47 PM
Yes, "Your Fan Name is @@UDF1".

Also, the QR code is really tiny this year.  It's about 1cm printed, 42 pixels square. That may not scan on ordinary barcode scanners.

Please fix all this and resend, or it's going to be LineCon 2017.  Thanks.

Log in and review your registration and it will have the large QR code to print.

kookiekween99

My boyfriend also had this issue, and he was able to fix it by taking the apostrophe out of his fan name.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

InsaneDavid

Quote from: kookiekween99 on May 21, 2017, 11:53:11 AM
My boyfriend also had this issue, and he was able to fix it by taking the apostrophe out of his fan name.

No non-standard characters in my fan name and it's correctly displayed when I log in but I still got the garbage e-mail.  Fanime has confirmed to multiple people (who have generally posted in the unofficial fan group on Facebook) that this was simply an e-mail issue, isn't a problem and a corrected e-mail should be forthcoming.

Moral of the story - test your systems before you unleash them live.

Nina Star 9

Quote from: keitoghostie on May 19, 2017, 09:33:03 PM
I called the helpline about this and they said it was a widespread issue and that they'll be sending out a corrected email in the next couple days.
The fan name that appears in the registration portal will be the one on your badge!
Cool, I'll keep an eye out for the corrected email :D Hopefully it's actually correct this time.

Quote from: kookiekween99 on May 21, 2017, 11:53:11 AM
Same as InsaneDavid -- I have no special characters, and this is something that seems to have happened to everyone because it's a system issue.

svatoid

There is a posting on the official Fanime Facebook page addressing this issue. Bottom line, they say they are aware of the problem and it will be corrected n your badge

gerotic

What was the barcode fiasco last year?

InsaneDavid

Quote from: gerotic on June 01, 2017, 08:47:21 AM

What was the barcode fiasco last year?

Okay, I got someone in trouble about this last year and yeah, I don't know what crawled up my ass about it because I got way out of line a few times then - but here's the basics from what I recall...

At the last minute, something like a week and a half before the convention, you could no longer log into registration and view your registration details.  Turns out that CMR wasn't going to be the registration partner in the end and another company was used instead.  Of course this was all kept quiet but eventually an employee of the new company opened his mouth on the unofficial facebook fan group.

The QR code that had been used for the previous two years was now going to be invalid, instead a barcode from the new company would be required.  If you e-mailed or called them directly they would explain this but aside from that they were completely silent.  In addition it seemed that the new company had ONE customer service person manning all phones and e-mail (unconfirmed but we all seemed to get the same person).

Like two days before Fanime they send out an e-mail with the barcode, way too late for a lot of people traveling to the convention to ever see until the absolute last minute.  Additionally it was way too late in the game to get the word out or alleviate any e-mail issues and if you needed to make a registration change you were SOL.

So when Fanime comes around a bunch of people have no idea about the change and have QR codes, so their information has to be looked up manually, this slows down registration.  The badge printing equipment is different than the previous two years (the kind that was back this year) and creates an additional assortment of problem variables.  Botched prints, information printed wrong, tons of stuff I both heard from other attendees and saw first hand myself.  Of course if you had a problem then you get to go wait in the special registration line to have it fixed - which already is overwhelmed with all the confirmation issues.  This along with a number of other technical issues meant that registration became an impossibly huge mess.  Because it was moved to a smaller space on the assumption it would be smooth as the two previous years, the chain of people in line stretched throughout the convention center.  I still feel bad for the rovers who had to police that line because they were all so overworked.

No badge issues this year.  Long live CMR!!

Makes me wonder, did anyone actually end up with @@UDF1 on their badge?