Why I didn't attend this year... and probably won't in the future

Started by WorldDominationStudios, May 29, 2017, 01:10:21 PM

echoshadow

Quote from: Abyss1 on June 12, 2017, 09:53:19 AM
Saw the AX with by live streaming this year....Fanime needs to step it up

Lol yeah, it's been years and years of people trying to float some ideas to Fanime.  But, in the end Fanime ends up just being Fanime. I could guess and make countless threads or just revisit the countless posts about this same subject, but eh, too much work.

Then again....... you kind of end up getting what you pay for. Hell, look how much AX badges have gone up. But then look at all the line ups they got going.

Guess what I'm saying that's maybe why Fanime always had its own charm, like maybe next year it would be like (fill in the con name here) but next year it's a notch different.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

ewu

Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

TC X0 Lt 0X

my bade was flipepd over half the time...they didnt care lol

AX as in Anime Expo?
Why would anyone want to watch a livestream of a convention? That just sounds so odd to me.
I mean sure Im guessing there are industry panels to tune in to, but Im doubtful any big news wont show up on the net days later, and at least for me being at the event and doing things is the appeal of a convention.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Abyss1

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on June 14, 2017, 05:12:39 PM

AX as in Anime Expo?
Why would anyone want to watch a livestream of a convention? That just sounds so odd to me.
I mean sure Im guessing there are industry panels to tune in to, but Im doubtful any big news wont show up on the net days later, and at least for me being at the event and doing things is the appeal of a convention.
Yes AX is the only Anime Expo I know of in Cali...

Million Dollar questions: why do people livestream on Facebook? or anywhere else for that matter do you find that strange too?

Its probably of panels, guests, and i am hoping the major events (cosplay and AMV), as well as the music event..

I want to see this mainly because I can't make it to AX anymore.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: Abyss1 on June 15, 2017, 01:28:15 PM
Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on June 14, 2017, 05:12:39 PM

AX as in Anime Expo?
Yes AX is the only Anime Expo I know of in Cali...

Million Dollar questions: why do people livestream on Facebook? or anywhere else for that matter do you find that strange too?

Its probably of panels, guests, and i am hoping the major events (cosplay and AMV), as well as the music event..

I want to see this mainly because I can't make it to AX anymore.

I mean I do find it the oddest thing that Twitch is what it is, games usually being available with ease for people to play for themselves.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

aetherltd

Quote from: echoshadow on June 13, 2017, 07:57:22 PM
Lol yeah, it's been years and years of people trying to float some ideas to Fanime.  But, in the end Fanime ends up just being Fanime.
As someone involved on the Clockwork Alchemy side (I'm behind the Telegraph Office there), it's been fun having the connection to Fanime. This was the last year of that; CA now goes its own way. Different date, bigger hotel.

Fanime has made progress. Reg now works. There's food and water. (Remember LineCon 2014). The halls are less jammed. Finally, this year, the bus service was great. Bigger, more comfortable buses, enough of them, and drivers who knew the route. Few people from Fanime seemed to find their way to CA, sadly. Still no signage on the Fanime side leading to the hard to find bus stop on the side of the convention center. The ones who made it to CA had a good time. We had a Deadpool cosplayer serving in the tea room, and a cosplay group of classical musicians playing anime themes.

Each year for the last five years, I've come over to Fanime for a few hours; look in on a screening, attend a panel, buy some Pocky, look at the artwork, see the cosplayers, and play some games.  Then back to CA. I'll miss that. It's been fun.

Clockwork Alchemy 2018, March 23-25, Hyatt Regency Hotel, Burlingame, CA.

MyAlterEg0

Lol yeah, it's been years and years of people trying to float some ideas to Fanime.  But, in the end Fanime ends up just being Fanime. I could guess and make countless threads or just revisit the countless posts about this same subject, but eh, too much work.

Then again....... you kind of end up getting what you pay for. Hell, look how much AX badges have gone up. But then look at all the line ups they got going.

Guess what I'm saying that's maybe why Fanime always had its own charm, like maybe next year it would be like (fill in the con name here) but next year it's a notch different.

just going to throw out a comment i made to my roommate,
Fanime is like going to Hawaii...there's always the beach
while AX is like Vegas....even after you get there... everything you want to do costs money....I think I ended up spending over $300 last year on the badge and then tickets to stuff I wanted to see or do...

Abyss1

Quote from: MyAlterEg0 on June 16, 2017, 05:03:20 AM

just going to throw out a comment i made to my roommate,
Fanime is like going to Hawaii...there's always the beach
while AX is like Vegas....even after you get there... everything you want to do costs money....I think I ended up spending over $300 last year on the badge and then tickets to stuff I wanted to see or do...

I see fanime more like Disneyland and AX is like Disney World

hikanteki

Quote from: Love Sign Master Spark on June 11, 2017, 01:38:16 PM
I had this lengthy post typed out then decided I hated most of it before posting.  So here are some pricing numbers from a similar sized con (even at the same location) with little other context:

Duration:3 days
Weekend badge cost: $99
One day admission: $50
Autographs cost extra for all attendees.

Silicon Valley Comic Con is not really a similar-sized con; it has pulled in 60-65k people each year, making it approx. twice as big as Fanime:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Valley_Comic_Con

thecrazycyborggirl

In response to OP's...

Reason 1: I honestly feel that ensuring the second floor of the con and other ground-floor areas to badge-only con goers is a plus. As someone who doesn't really go to panels much, it makes me feel more like my ticket is worth it, and that I am not wasting my money. I paid for the con, it's organization, and events. Why should those who don't pay a cent get to enjoy the same experience as I do for free? It just doesn't make sense. You pay for a ticketed event, you get to enjoy it. Anyone can stand outside a stadium to enjoy a concert for free, but no one is allowed inside the stadium to roam the doorways and hallways, enjoy concessions, purchase merchandise, use the facilities and bathrooms for free.

Reason 2: Paying $85 for the full weekend is kinda on you, buddy. My friends and I paid in advanced and paid $65. I know that $85 is definitely and increase, but as the attendee numbers grow and the convention strives to improve, that's something to be expected. Even then, Fanime tickets for this year started off at $55; the price increases and their scheduled dates were posted on the website ahead of time for all to see. With good planning and organization, getting badges ahead of time and at a cheaper rate shouldn't be a problem.

I agree that one day badge prices are ridiculous, however. Their expensiveness is definitely a great way of getting attendees to purchase the full weekend badge as it is cheaper per day. However, I don't think Fanime realizes how much this method is deterring people who want to go but are literally only able to go for one day from attending the convention. If these one day badge prices continue to rise, the number of attendees for certain days may decline.

I also agree on the whole production value/level of Fanime. I don't expect an Anime Expo, but I do expect guests of equal if not (should be) higher levels as that of SacAnime's. Sacanime is a much smaller amd much cheaper convention, however the majority of the guests they get are much more interesting and tantalizing than a majority of Fanime's guests.

Even so, this year's fanime felt better than last year's, and my friends and I are definitely staying the full weekend and getting a hotel room.
~ Fanime 2022 ~