2018 Old School Cosplay (Pre-2001) Gathering

Started by InsaneDavid, September 03, 2017, 10:39:53 AM

InsaneDavid

Greetings old school cosplayers!  Last year's Old School Gathering was an absolute blast, thank you all for your amazing attendance, awesome cosplay, and for putting up with me as everyone's favorite middle-aged nanpa boy - Ryo Saeba!  Last year was my second time hosting the gathering and of course I'm doing it again!  Continuing the tradition of the gathering that got me into cosplay, I announce the...

Fanime 2018 Old School Cosplay Gathering!

Come celebrate the rich history of Japanese entertainment culture!

This is a hugely open gathering for those of you / us who cosplay as characters from the previous century.  Essentially if your cosplay character appears in Anime, Manga, Video Games or Live Action (resident beings of Nebula M78 are welcome) that began prior to 2001, then this is the gathering for you!  Although I like to have a decidedly Japanese lean to this gathering, it is not completely exclusive.

2018 is a big year with...
...the 50th anniversary of Golgo 13 and the 50th anime anniversary of Cyborg 009 and Gegege no Kitaro.
...the 40th anime anniversary of Space Pirate Captain Harlock and Galaxy Express 999.
...the 30th anime anniversary of Samurai Troopers, Mobile Police Patlabor, and GunBuster.
...the 20th anime anniversary of Card Captor Sakura, His and Her Circumstances, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Outlaw Star, Initial D, and Serial Experiments Lain.

Day : Friday, May 28th (Day 1)
Time : 6PM - 7PM
Meeting Place (MP) : Same as Location, G3
Location (L) : Gatherings G3, Downstairs Tiered Platform (on the lower floor, the wooden steps close to video) this is a NEW location for 2018!

This will be our third year hosting!  Please note we will be at a slightly different location than last year - turn right from the main Convention Center entrance, and head down the stairs to the video rooms on the lower level.  We will be on the downstairs wooden tiered platforms.

Gatherings G3 is the wooden tiered platform area along the stairs that lead down to the video rooms on the lower level.  This location will give us more space to spread out, even lighting, lower stair platforms, and a protected backdrop wall.  It's all around more convenient and if it works out well I would like it to become the new permanent location for the gathering.

Cosplayers : If you would like, please post who your cosplay character is, what title it is from and what year you are representing!  As this gathering is a total wildcard mix of different characters, series, studios, and genres - spanning time rather than properties - a definitive list is otherwise not provided.  Part of the fun of the OSCG is seeing just who shows up.

Legal Statement : Fanime will be taking group pictures during the Gathering/Event this year. If you do not want to be included in those pictures please step aside for those photos. By remaining with the group when the pictures are being taken you give your consent to be photographed.

Photography Order : If there is any specific setup or shot you would like, just let me know!  This gathering is to celebrate all of us as cosplayers who keep the vintage fire alive.

By era - 1960's (or earlier).
By era - 1970's.
By era - 1980's.
By era - 1990's (to 2000).
Group shot.
Timeline group shot by era / cumulative group shot by era (dependent on gathering size).
Characters who use swords / knives / blades / etc.
Characters known to get physical / fighters / brawlers.
Military / rank and file / soldiers.
Characters with psychic powers / spiritual powers / espers / magic / etc.
Pilots / drivers / craft operators / mech jockeys.
Teachers / students / faculty / school attendants / etc.
Characters who use firearms / laser guns / projectile weapons / etc.
Magical girls.
Spacefaring characters / those who live off-world.
Robots / androids / synthetic people / mecha.
Characters who are mysterious / shadowy.
Public servants / government organizations / secret organizations.
Dead / expired / lifeless characters.
Characters with secret identities.
Characters in uniform of any type.
Battle teams.
Characters who are on the run / fugitives / scoundrels / bounty hunters.
Monsters / demons / youma / etc.
Characters who are technically minded / deductive / intelligent / geniuses.
Heroes.
Villains.
Heroes vs Villains.
Great warriors / legendary masters.
Civilians.
Aliens.
Animals / pets.
Age vs Youth / old characters vs young characters.
Video game characters.
Manga only characters.
Live Action only characters.
Pairings / couples.
Series groups (dependent on attendance / request).
By studio / production team (dependent on attendance / request).
Solo shots (dependent on request).
Additional requests (cosplayer requested).
Final group shot for late attendees (regular / humorous).

I am always up for future ideas to add to the list!  A good portion of the photo order is built upon suggestions from previous years.

Facebook Event Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/314735342281455

This is an excellent gathering to psyche you up for the convention weekend.  If you're an old school cosplayer, stop by and join us!  Feel free to pop in for a moment to say hi, see some incredible cosplay, pose for some pictures, and continue to prove that just because it's old doesn't mean it isn't awesome!

Thank you so very much.  Let's have another great turnout and continue this wonderful Fanime tradition!

I'm ALWAYS active on the forums!

Retro Cosplay, Easy As XYZ

InsaneDavid

Old School Cosplay Gathering 2018 Photo Gallery Index

Updated Photography Order As It Was Called / Shot (we always improvise a little but here it is for reference) :

By era - 1960's (or earlier).
By era - 1970's.
By era - 1980's.
By era - 1990's (to 2000).
Timeline group shot by era / cumulative group shot by era.
Characters who use swords / knives / blades / etc.
Characters known to get physical / fighters / brawlers.
Military / rank and file / soldiers.
Characters with psychic powers / spiritual powers / espers / magic / etc.
Pilots / drivers / craft operators / mech jockeys.
Characters who use firearms / laser guns / projectile weapons / etc.
Magical girls.
Spacefaring characters / those who live off-world.
Robots / androids / synthetic people / mecha.
Characters who are mysterious / shadowy.
Animals / pets.
Dead / expired / lifeless characters.
Characters with secret identities.
Characters in uniform of any type.
Battle teams.
Characters who are on the run / fugitives / scoundrels / bounty hunters.
Monsters / demons / youma / etc.
Characters who are technically minded / deductive / intelligent / geniuses.
Heroes.
Villains.
Heroes vs Villains.
Great warriors / legendary masters.
Civilians.
Aliens.
Age vs Youth / old characters vs young characters.
Video game characters.
Pairings / couples.
Requests.
Final group shot for late attendees (regular / humorous).

Unofficial Gallery of pictures taken by the co-host can be found here:
https://www.facebook.com/496398453882635/photos/?tab=album&album_id=836074006581743

These are high quality, untouched, non-watermarked pictures, essentially everything she shot.  Feel free to tag, share, download, etc. and if you are a cosplayer in a picture you are absolutely welcome to reupload pictures of yourself elsewhere!  If anyone has issue with a specific picture, just let me know here (a PM is fine) and I'll take care of it.  We were without an official FanimeCon photographer this year, so I suppose our photos have become the "official" photos.

ephemient via Fanime Forums, Old School Gathering Gallery -
https://photos.app.goo.gl/EwahLoiM7ompvnzH3
Thank you for taking pictures at the gathering!

bahamutknightzero via Fanime Forums, Fanime 2018 Gallery -
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10160530130130296.1073741850.828005295&type=1&l=bce098e028

Studio Stormfalcon, FanimeCon 2018-05-25, Old School Gathering beginning on page 8 -
https://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography/FanimeCon-2018-05-25/

If anyone has pictures of the Old School Cosplay Gathering, please post the link to your gallery and I will add them to this post!

Thank you again to all who attended or expressed interest in this gathering!  We can't wait to do it again for 2019 as FanimeCon celebrates a legacy of its own with the 25th anniversary of the convention!

InsaneDavid

Photo Galleries From OSCG 2017 (Previous Year) :

Updated Photography Order As It Was Called / Shot:

1960's or earlier.
1960's - 1970's (no 1970's cosplayers this year at the start).
1960's - 1980's.
1960's - 2000 (all eras group shot).
Sword wielders.
Fighters.
Spacefaring characters.
Military / rank and file / special forces / tactical background / etc.
Characters with psychic powers / espers / spiritual power / magic / etc.
Pilots / drivers / craft operators / machine operators / etc.
Characters known to carry firearms / laser guns / shooters / etc.
Robots / androids / synthetic people.
Magical girls.
Battle teams.
Characters who are on the run / fugitives / scoundrels / etc.
Heroes.
Villains.
Civilians.
Aliens.
Video game characters.
Manga only characters (none this year).
Live action only characters (none this year).
Series groups.

Mixed requests:
Gentlemen.
Ladies (and one mokkori sweeper - sorry, couldn't resist being in character).
Pairings / couples.
Playboys and ladies.

Unofficial Gallery of pictures taken by the co-host can be found here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.671897979666014.1073741833.496398453882635&type=3

These are high quality, untouched, non-watermarked pictures, essentially everything she shot.  Feel free to tag, share, download, etc. and if you are a cosplayer in a picture you are absolutely welcome to reupload pictures of yourself elsewhere!  If anyone has issue with a specific picture, just let me know here (a PM is fine) and I'll take care of it.

Tye / Imperal, FanimeCon Friday, 4pm - 7pm Gatherings OFFICIAL Gallery -
https://fanimecon.slickpic.com/albums/FanimeCon-Friday-4pm-7pm/?wallpaper
(scroll down to see an awesome set of official pictures from the gathering)
Thank you for taking pictures at the gathering, assisting with countdowns, and being an all around awesome Head of the Cosplay Gatherings Department!

Stormfalcon, Day One Gallery -
Day One: https://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography/FanimeCon-2017-05-26/
(Old School Cosplay Gathering photos begin on page 16)

OSCG 2017 Fanime Forums Thread:

http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,20867.0.html

Angelx624

Sadly I'm not doing anything old school next year, but I'll probably take pictures, anyway. :)

Scratch that, I am bringing Boi from Zyuranger, which is old school. XD
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

InsaneDavid

Quote from: Angelx624 on September 08, 2017, 11:01:03 PM
Sadly I'm not doing anything old school next year, but I'll probably take pictures, anyway. :)

Woohoo!  We don't have nearly enough live action representation! :)

SkylerKarashi

I have two I can potentially wear for this. I have umbreon from pokemon, but I'll probably be wearing that a different day. I'll be wearing Fred Weasley from Harry Potter that day though and the book was pre-2001. :)
My Cosplay For Fanime 2024:
Thursday: Closet Kaminari/Yuri (BNHA/Yuri On Ice)
Friday: Goth (Boyfriends)
Saturday: Red (Pokemon & Smash Bros)
Sunday: Casual Kaminari (BNHA)
Monday: Goth (Boyfriends)

InsaneDavid

Quote from: gary925 on September 09, 2017, 09:25:17 PM
I have two I can potentially wear for this. I have umbreon from pokemon, but I'll probably be wearing that a different day. I'll be wearing Fred Weasley from Harry Potter that day though and the book was pre-2001. :)

Still a long way off but we could always use early generation Pokemon representation if things work out differently!

Angelx624

Quote from: InsaneDavid on September 09, 2017, 05:25:42 PM
Quote from: Angelx624 on September 08, 2017, 11:01:03 PM

Woohoo!  We don't have nearly enough live action representation! :)
So true. xD I was supposed to wear him to Sac-Anime a couple weeks ago but couldn't finish him.
So then I recently decided I would bring him to Fanime. 8D
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

InsaneDavid

Good morning old schoolers!

It looks like many returning FanimeCon cosplay gathering organizers have begun to stir their interest threads on the Fanime forums.  Still don't expect a lot of movement here until into the New Year (no changes planned, Fanime Friday as usual) but I did want to touch base once more, and wish everyone a happy holiday season.

As the FanimeCon 2018 theme is "Gaming" I want to extend a reminder that pre-2001 video game cosplay is absolutely good to go for the Old School Cosplay Gathering.  And as this is the Friday prior to Christmas, an appropriate piece of old school video game music...

From the Winter season of 1999 and DanceDanceRevolution 3rdMIX, Silent Hill -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q6FPZcIJSE

Angelx624

Merp, my plans keep changing, as of now I'm not doing anything old school. :C I might still take photos, though!

*Kicks self for changing a lot* Scratch what I keep saying, and because of my recent change, I may be there as Michiru from Sailor Moon. xD (I've had the wig for what feels like ages but haven't cosplayed her yet so I'm gonna try to stick with this plan XD )
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

InsaneDavid

Quote from: Angelx624 on December 22, 2017, 05:55:54 PM
Merp, my plans keep changing, as of now I'm not doing anything old school. :C I might still take photos, though!

*Kicks self for changing a lot* Scratch what I keep saying, and because of my recent change, I may be there as Michiru from Sailor Moon. xD (I've had the wig for what feels like ages but haven't cosplayed her yet so I'm gonna try to stick with this plan XD )

Hehe, that's no problem.  Fanime is still almost five months away so I'm sure your plans may shift again.  I always enjoy seeing Sailor Moon characters at the Old School Cosplay Gathering!

I know the Sailor Moon Gathering absorbs most of them however, including my wife and I as Makoto Kino and Motoki Furuhata over the past two years.  We're rotating Makoto and Motoki (still my favorite anime couple that never was, until the live action series but they made Motoki such a dope in that!) out for 2018 but plan on being at the Sailor Moon Gathering as an early days Michiru and Haruka... because I love obscurity even with mainstream titles.

For the Old School Cosplay Gathering we'll probably be wearing our Mobile Police Patlabor uniforms (Shinobu Nagumo and Kiichi Goto specifically) once more.  We were going to give them a rest in 2018 but it's the 30th anniversary of Patlabor, along with a new anime series "Patlabor EZY" slated for 2018, so that's our Friday plan.

InsaneDavid

With Fanime housing now cycled through for the early registrants (I sincerely hope you all were able to book housing if needed or at least have booked something and registered on the waitlist), we're starting to see convention activity begin to spin up for 2018.  To that end, I thought I would get things going here as we're now a little more than four months away from Fanime!

As in previous years, the weekly old school anime opening (OP) posts are back.  I know they're not everyone's cup of sake but I really enjoy searching them out and it keeps me in the habit of updating the gathering event page and forum thread.  Generally these will be one OP per week (usually on Friday) right up until Fanime, along with any gathering updates for the week.  The information posted here is also cross-posted in the gathering thread on the Fanime forums.

Today may be Saturday but I seem have a tradition of sorts in kicking things off on a non-Friday.  So here we go with a series that had its anime premiere fifty years ago this month!

Celebrating An Era - 1960's!  Gegege no Kitaro (1968)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWAtSxvoe4g
*** 50th Anime Anniversary ***

InsaneDavid

Yeah, yeah, it's Saturday rather than Friday again.  Anyway... wow, a lot of interest (via Facebook) in the gathering already!  This week we're a few days shy of four months until FanimeCon, which means I personally need to get myself in gear and get moving on cosplay work.  I'm good for the Old School Cosplay Gathering but there's a ton to do still for the rest of the weekend's cosplay plans - and of course all of them are old school.

Today another one of those massively popular series of its time, and a reminder that all that great anime from the 1990's is outstanding basis for cosplay and falls well within the time range for the Old School Cosplay Gathering.  I meet people every year that had their anime interest expanded by the second western anime boom in the 1990's, including myself as my teenage years fell into the end of that range.

Celebrating An Era - 1990's!  Slayers (1995)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR0DOfE3Hso

InsaneDavid

Good evening old schoolers!

Going to get back into an old school opening or ending every Friday once again, starting today.  Zillion is kind of an interesting one as while it is pretty obscure, the two Sega Mark III games (Sega Master System in the USA and other regions) were released stateside.  Additionally the Sega Light Phaser is the Zillion gun, and apparently the Zillion laser tag sets had limited North American distribution.  Cool opening with a catchy theme.

Celebrating An Era - 1980's!  Akai Kodan Zillion (1987)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la-lgb-BPhI

Kite

Definitely coming to the gathering as Pen Pen.

But not sure where I would be in the line up.

InsaneDavid

Quote from: Kite on February 06, 2018, 10:48:45 AM
Definitely coming to the gathering as Pen Pen.

But not sure where I would be in the line up.

Cool!  All Evangelion peeps are welcome at the gathering, obviously.

I think I'll add an animals spot to the photography list (always looking to expand the list every year) but for Pen Pen you have...
1990's (obviously).
Military / rank and file.
Civilians.

And whatever else we all come up with at the gathering depending on who's there.

Angelx624

I started getting things to make Michiru! I'm aiming to get the fruit maid version done for Fanime. ^^
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

InsaneDavid

Quote from: Angelx624 on February 06, 2018, 04:47:42 PM
I started getting things to make Michiru! I'm aiming to get the fruit maid version done for Fanime. ^^

Yay!  Although I'll be wearing Captain Kiichi Goto from Mobile Police Patlabor ( 30th anniversary! ) at the Old School Cosplay Gathering, my wife and I are doing Sailor Moon S episode 106 Michiru and Haruka for the Sailor Moon gathering.  (Retiring Makoto Kino and Motoki Furuhata for Fanime 2018 after two years)  That's the origin / how they met flashback episode of the series - which means I ~really~ hope it isn't hot at Fanime this year as that cosplay consists of a full driving suit.

InsaneDavid

Good afternoon old schoolers!

Crazy few days of summer-like weather here in FanimeCon's backyard, too bad I don't need to do any cosplay spray painting this year!  An extra thanks to those who have shared the event page for this gathering, it is most appreciated!  There are tons of pre-2001 cosplayers at Fanime, let's bring us all together for this gathering on Friday evening!

Going to stick to one OP per week each Friday through February but in March I'll start to pick them up and move to a few every weekend - as always - as there are a ton I'd like to get through and they really get me in that pre-2001 anime mood for the gathering!  Today an opening from 1971 that has been massively influential - just take a look at the Cowboy Bebop opening for proof.

Celebrating An Era - 1970's!  Lupin III (1971)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtOnRPv2W4A

InsaneDavid

Good afternoon old schoolers!

I hope you are all well this Friday and that you're doing whatever you wish to do today.  Going with an anime ending today, one of my favorites.  Also one of my favorite ending songs, Atsuku Naretara / If I Can Be Passionate from City Hunter 3.  I swear, the City Hunter franchise has the best anime series soundtracks ever released.

Celebrating An Era - 1980's!  City Hunter 3 (1989)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUtxTCDbUSs [ENDING]