The last time I went to Fanime was 8yrs ago

Started by HuggalotXOmocha, December 21, 2017, 10:04:57 AM

HuggalotXOmocha

Hello everyone!

I've been going to anime, comic and game conventions since I was 7yrs old. I used to go to Fanime EVERY YEAR dresses in wild rave costumes and whatnot, Cosplayed about 2 times but alternative fashion and Japanese sub-culture fashions back then were my thing.

The last time I went to an anime convention, I was 18yrs old. I'm 25 now and I went for a slip second in 2017 to be in a music video with a friend of mine. And I noticed that people who don't have Fanime passes can't even get in the building anymore???

I'm trying Fanime 2018. Forcing myself to go for the WHOLE weekend because Fanime was something I would LIVE for back in high school (as well as local cosplay gatherings and other cons in the Bay Area).

Can anyone fill me in on what's happened within those 8 years? New rules? Is there even still a dance/rave at night? Do people still hang out in the halls at 3am and talk about each other's problems and hug each other like the good ol days?

Let me know if any changes you've noticed! Because I sure as heck want to know what I've missed all these years!!

TC X0 Lt 0X

Yeah, they closed off the top floor to badge carriers only. They did so mainly so they didn't have to have badge checkers at every event hall or room in favor of just checking at the staircases, which has worked out surprisingly well. It is also to keep con goers safer from wondering pedestrians that are in the downtown area on the weekends (likely drunk). It is undoubtedly also an effort to prevent freeloaders from just hanging out outside the exhibit halls, which many people did do.

The raveDance is still a thing. The con is still 24 hours and people do hang around in the middle of the night. There are subtle rules changes here or there, notably more restrictions on what you can cosplay. There is an emphasis on consent, given that glomping was/is a thing. Can't say it is necessary given common sense, but it doesn't affect how I conduct myself either way so whatever. I am sure there are plenty of other changes to the rules I can't recall, given the 10 years of con blurring together.

The con head changed during that time as well. The on notably went through a slump in quality and content a few years back but has since been improved upon. It has in general not changed much though.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

HuggalotXOmocha

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on December 21, 2017, 01:30:40 PM
There is an emphasis on consent, given that glomping was/is a thing. Can't say it is necessary given common sense

Thank god for that, though. I remember Glomping being an actual issue with other cosplayers. I always wore 5" platform boots and crazy wigs and sometimes easily-detachable items and I would rage inside whenever a random glomp happened. Especially since I don't like being touched and just....your minding your own business and all of a someone someones runs at you and tackles you down like a freakin' football player and all my accessories are flying everywhere.

I also remember a time where people were grabbing and poking each others' butts...Yeah consent was an issue back then.