Handheld gaming room!!!

Started by pngaou, April 05, 2005, 12:57:25 AM

pngaou

Since this is the year of the portable gaming systems, it would be awesome if there could be a room open for gamers who have a PSP, DS, N-Gage (o_O), etc so that we could play with other people at Fanime. I'm sure this would be a bit hit, since many anime watchers are also gaming fans.

It would be really fun to connect to others at Fanime to play some of our favorite DS and PSP games. In case you don't know, both systems allow for multiplayer games, but you have to be within a certain limited area, so a room is perfect for this problem.

Please look into this (if it hasn't been brought up already)!

G.I.R

Yay!  I like the idea!  I'll bring my GBA. :D
Any suggestions for games to bring?

Umi.Ryuuzaki

We in E-gaming did explore that idea for a bit. At the time, we had no clue how this would work, considering some things, so we dropped it. After personally trying out a PSP and DS, i'm pretty impressed. At this point though, even if we did factor it in, we like have no space left in the room.

It makes me wonder though: for both the DS and PSP, do you need a wireless router to connect to games, or not?
Chito, aka Kaiyoko
-Formerly Umi.Ryuuzaki

FanimeCon E-Gaming
-Veteran E-Gaming staff since 2002
-Dept Head '05/06, Assist Dept Head '07, on break '08-'11, returned 2012
Gaming Hall Staffer 2013
-Yarr!

Zain

Cross your fingers.

We (facilities, not e-gaming) are meeting with the company that provides internet services to the convention center sometime within the next couple of weeks. Last year, they gave us outrageous quotes on the internet service to cover the con so we decided to not have any. If we can get them to come down in price this year, we'll have the entire convention center and much of the hotels covered by wifi.

Also, if it happens, we'll most likely have a room in the Hilton as a computer lounge, and that could hold you handheld gamers as well.

We're optimistic, but obviously, it all depends on what kind of price we can get.
2007 Staff (Facilities, IT, Website, Publications)

Spiritsnare

Even though a router is preferable, it's not really needed for the DS. For the PSP, though, I draw a blank.

If you can actually pull that off, it'd be much appreciated. ^_^
epic progressive

vox

Wirebrain

Being one who is familiar with both gizmos and their tech capability, Wi-Fi is NOT required and NOT supported for either handheld. It's a wireless Peer-to-Peer network connection, but does not need to connect to the internet for multiplayer hijinks. Honestly you could meet out in the hallways and do that, or you can visit the Tabletop gaming room for a welcome seat outside of heavy floor traffic, but if you do so, I ask you to please respect registered events and games with the people who are playing games that don't have batteries. :)

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "Wirebrain"...Wi-Fi is NOT required and NOT supported for either handheld...

DS, no...PSP, yes.

I don't think a room is specifically needed for wireless handheld gaming, though...however, chairs are a necessity for such. XD Unless all the people in the room would love to sit on the floor of the con hall or something.
epic progressive

vox

Zain

Update: we almost definitely won't have the entire convention center on wifi. We might have a single suite or something with a few computers and wifi running.
2007 Staff (Facilities, IT, Website, Publications)

Spiritsnare

If you're going to have computers, then I suggest you set a time limit...perhaps 10, 15, or 30 minutes, to allow for anyone who wants to use the computers to use them.

But as for not blanketing the entire con in wifi, I think it's a good choice. Just who's going to use that wi-fi when there's so much more happening? ^_^
epic progressive

vox

Shin Gouki

the DS has 802.11 and the PS has 802.11b for wirless gaming just ATM none can go online as to say play ppl over the net it was for only with head to head only but give it time someone somewhere will get both to do that so a room just for handhelds wouldn't be a good idea but I be if we chould setup a area for this it would be cool but I don't know ATP in time

MeliCat

Anyone else have darkstalkers for PSP? I challenge! ^.~

Blue Impulse

0001 Registered User at Fanime 06'

Tsubasa

-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

koomori

Quote from: "G.I.R"Yay!  I like the idea!  I'll bring my GBA. :D
Any suggestions for games to bring?
bring KH:COM if you have it and have beaten it as sora, we can link battle with our soras!!

Jyunishinsho

What about this:

Metal Gear Acid Tourney
Twisted Metal: HeadOn Tourney
Darkstalkers Tourney
Luminess Tourney

ChenCzen

Lumines... sucks in versus mode. Its very unforgiving and near impossible to make a comeback.
I traded in my copy of Darkstalkers since you can use the analog nub. I cant pull off the dragon-punch move on psp' D-pad for some reason.

I might do the MG:A thing, but I'd be more excited about a Rengoku tourney.
Except for ending communism, slavery, nazism, and fascism, WAR HAS NEVER SOLVED ANYTHING!!

G.I.R

I so totaly scored today!  I found one of the "Grail" Items I needed for my videogame collection today.  At a local swapmeet, for the sum of $20.00, I got a SEGA Genesis Nomad, with power supply, two rechargeable batteries, p[ower supply, and a couple of games.  and the best thing, it plays megadrive cartridges without any hacks, or modifications! :D
Does anyone else out there have one of these?

ChenCzen

Nomad is hardly rare, I thin Majesco started remaking them a few years back didnt they? Im jealous though, I'd love to get one for that cheap. good find.

Do you have a neogeo pocket color? I have 2, but no cable....
Except for ending communism, slavery, nazism, and fascism, WAR HAS NEVER SOLVED ANYTHING!!

G.I.R

I currently don't have the Neo Geo Colour, but several independent game stores, and Fry's stores in my area sell them.  Unfortunately, I've never have seen a cable for one.  As For the Nomad, I do have some freinds that are looking for one.  The one I got Sunday is the only one I've seen in years.

ChenCzen

thats too bad, I used to have a cable... and i wouldnt mind taking people on in match of the millenium and card fighters clash.