Swords bizzatch!!!

Started by ROBO, May 23, 2005, 06:10:33 PM

ROBO

i am a ultimate collecteor of ssword last year at fanimecon i bout two practice ones for 30$ (not bad huh) but this year i hear theres not gonna be as many dealers for swords so umm yeah prove me wrong! by the way i'm new lol!
Hey Noukka! Thats MY buritoo

BowenDragon1

Hi I was one of the sword dealers last year, I was in the last row, I did run out last year of many items. So this year I will have a much larger selection along with some of the nicer items from LOTR, including the limited edition Sauron Gauntlet. Looking forward to seeing everyone this weekend
John D Bowen

Jelly Soup

I was told that there wasn't going to be any sword dealers this year (cause, ya know, there shouldn't be).....

Rapture7thHomunculi

Why aren't there supposed to be? I have been to one other con and there were two really good ones there, they were selling katana's and bokkens and all sorts of different kinds of swords. I want to buy one (I am going to be trainning with one soon) but do you need a license or is there an age limit?
Without simplicity there would not be creativity. So stop complainning.

"Yes, I'm a girl, if you've got a problem with that, don't be surprised if Kitsune_shadow pwns you at Resistance: Fall of Man. Yeah."

ROBO

you have to be like 18 ish
Hey Noukka! Thats MY buritoo

Rapture7thHomunculi

Oh well, guess I'll have to wait a couple more years to train with an actual sword. Thanks for the info though.
Without simplicity there would not be creativity. So stop complainning.

"Yes, I'm a girl, if you've got a problem with that, don't be surprised if Kitsune_shadow pwns you at Resistance: Fall of Man. Yeah."

Wirebrain

Quote from: "Jelly Soup"I was told that there wasn't going to be any sword dealers this year (cause, ya know, there shouldn't be).....

Why not? There was something for everyone.  They were all very open in following all the rules and many people at the show did as requested (although it was silly to hear that these people who would be just transporting the gear to their rooms had to get it checked by con-ops. I'm pretty sure con-ops has better things to do than look over an item that will not be even used at the show.)
But that said, why do you have a problem with weapons being sold? I thought they were cool and spiced things up from the usual "retail anime/manga" shops. If we were going to REALLY childproof the con, that would mean the entire cosplay show would have to be cut, Brian Doan be replaced with Raffi, Those Yaoi and Hentai dealers be routed out, say bye bye to most of the arcade, tabletop and e-gaming rooms... and while we're at it, chuck out any dvd or item that isn't Sugar the Snow Fairy or Hello Kitty.

Ayanami Rei First Child

Quote from: "Wirebrain"
Quote from: "Jelly Soup"I was told that there wasn't going to be any sword dealers this year (cause, ya know, there shouldn't be).....

Why not? There was something for everyone.  They were all very open in following all the rules and many people at the show did as requested (although it was silly to hear that these people who would be just transporting the gear to their rooms had to get it checked by con-ops. I'm pretty sure con-ops has better things to do than look over an item that will not be even used at the show.)
But that said, why do you have a problem with weapons being sold? I thought they were cool and spiced things up from the usual "retail anime/manga" shops. If we were going to REALLY childproof the con, that would mean the entire cosplay show would have to be cut, Brian Doan be replaced with Raffi, Those Yaoi and Hentai dealers be routed out, say bye bye to most of the arcade, tabletop and e-gaming rooms... and while we're at it, chuck out any dvd or item that isn't Sugar the Snow Fairy or Hello Kitty.
Yeah I DO have to agree there. You can't just say "Hey! No blades" and NOT take out hentai, games like Halo, games like DnD, and anime like Naruto (Which Cartoon Network seems to want to butcher those bastards). You can't have your cake and eat it to man......

Hired_Blade_Kage

Its a free country O.o if we wanna sell weapons of destruction we can do it damn it!.. I mean look at Mexico and Russia! you want a gun you can get them by the crate for cheap!

I also agree cold heartedly with the rest of you guys O.o...

Though the checking the weapons out of teh co thing sounds funneh and weird.
Is there a reason why you're staring at me as if you want to speak to me?

Jelly Soup

Quote from: "Ayanami Rei First Child"

Yeah I DO have to agree there. You can't just say "Hey! No blades" and NOT take out hentai, games like Halo, games like DnD, and anime like Naruto (Which Cartoon Network seems to want to butcher those bastards). You can't have your cake and eat it to man......

Hentai and Naruto (maybe not Halo) work under the heading of anime. And, holy crap, Fanime is an ANIME convention.

Swords....hmm, yeah, not anime....

Humor aside, I understand that most of the people on this forum have enough sense to not go swinging blades around. Unfortunately, not everyone who has good sense who attends the con comes to this board. There have been injuries and damages done by (some) of the people who have bought this weapons (regardless of what con-ops says). Having these things around is just asking for trouble.

Wirebrain

Quote from: "Jelly Soup"
Quote from: "Ayanami Rei First Child"

Hentai and Naruto (maybe not Halo) work under the heading of anime. And, holy crap, Fanime is an ANIME convention.

Swords....hmm, yeah, not anime....

Humor aside, I understand that most of the people on this forum have enough sense to not go swinging blades around. Unfortunately, not everyone who has good sense who attends the con comes to this board. There have been injuries and damages done by (some) of the people who have bought this weapons (regardless of what con-ops says). Having these things around is just asking for trouble.

Well, by your logic, I guess that means all gaming at the convention needs to get the heave ho, along with Cosplaying, because that's not an animated video from japan, that's some guy from Burbank dressing up. This isn't "COSPLAY"con. Nor is it Jrockcon or Live Action Hongkongcon.
But they're all there. It's also not "MOMMYHOLDMYHANDCON".

Yes, there's some things that may make you uncomfortable. There's some elements at the convention that I can't really understand myself why it's around. But other people like it, and most are fairly responsible about these things and keep it under control. Yes, there will always be a bad apple or a "what if..." scenario but many of the people running and attending this convention trust that the average person at the show will not behave in a criminal fashion, and that any one individual that chooses to NOT follow the rules must accept the consequences.

Let's take that minor who shoplifted last year as an example. He was a repeat offender, and was stealing from the dealers for years.

Does that mean because frequent theft occured in the dealers room that the room should immediately take a policy of "no more than X people under the age of 18 in the room" or "All persons will be searched apon leaving the room and reciepts checked"?

Or should he and any other accomplaces be punished and made an example that we don't tollerate that kind of behavior?

Tuplica

I was excited about the swords being sold at the con, yet at the same time, I recognized that some moron could get ahold of one and create some damage.  Even if the blade wasn't sharp (which I'm willing to guess that most of them aren't) it's possible.  And if conops takes away props that could do damage, it doesn't really seem fair for people to run around with swords and bokens.  

All in all, though, people will do what they want to do.  Chances are we're far more likely to see sword dealers banned or extremely limited to the convention than we are to see the props limiting/banning being lightened anytime soon, as much as I hate to say it.   :? I am, however, for having the swords remain in the dealer's room.  I like it.
Attending Fanime since 2002, having panic attacks and editing marathons since 2003.

Ayanami Rei First Child

I think swords should remain.

Besides what about the offensiveness of all the hair-legged beard wearing crossplayers in mini and micro-skirts do they get banned to because of their offensiveness...or perhaps because of man-faye's ass hanging out of his shorts.

There will ALWAYS be elements you cannot control from those things. Minors who get hentai. People who buy weaps for minors. I mean it's hard to do much damage unless you actually tried or stabbed someone with the swords there....all the swords I got were ungodly dull.

Swords go hand in hand with anime....do you realize just how many swords are IN anime? Inu Yasha, Naruto, Tokyo Underground, One Piece, Gundam, Kenshin, and Outlaw Star just to name a few. Need I say more? Also if you're going by that logic we need to take out all the Asian Film/TV stuff that isn't Live Action.... :roll:

FanFicGuru

Rei, I understand what you mean, but listen.

It all boils down to liability. Can someone buy a weapon for a minor? Yes. But when the cops look at the records, they won't see that a Fanime dealer sold the weapon to the minor, but that the weapon was bought by someone of age for the minor.

Same thing for Hentai. Although, if the dealers know what's good for them they won't sell Hentai to minors, because that will get them kicked out of Fanime.

So yeah, they aren't going to sell swords because if someone did buy a sword and ended up going nuts with it, hurting or (God forbid) killing someone, Fanime would probably be canceled for the rest of the weekend and its ability to remain an annual convention would be put in danger.

Is it inconvenient for those of us who would like to buy weapons at the convention? Certainly.  But am I, as a consumer who wanted to buy a sword, willing to risk the annual presence of Fanime in downtown San Jose just so i have a chance to buy a sword? No. I am not.

At least, that's my view.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Ayanami Rei First Child

You make an interesting point, but any psycho could almost as easily come swinging a sword that was NOT bought there. I mean if someone is going to do that a little thing like having no swords won't stop them.

Not to mention people could easily bring things like large knives from home rather easily to do damage.

When you put it that way I'm at an impass. I mean I don't want the con to be cancelled in case something bad happened, but yet NOTHING bad ever has! Fanime takes good precautions, and I'd say the people at the con are more well adjusted there then normal while attending the con.

FanFicGuru

You bring up good points again, but as I said before it boils down to liability.

If a maniac went in there wielding a sword or something that he brought from home, Fanime wouldn't be cancelled, they'd probably just beef up security.

If fanime was found personally responsible for supplying a weapon that led to a violent incident, that's where it's continual presence would be threatened.

Yeah nothing bad has happened yet, but using that as an excuse to further allow the situation isn't a very good ground to stand on.

It's like before 9/11 when we were like "Sheesh, we can't be attacked HERE."

Fanime seems perfectly safe, and 99.9999999 percent of the time I feel perfectly safe. However, best to avoid any possible way of getting to that .0000001 percent. lol
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Ayanami Rei First Child

Oh please. There was a stupidly small amount of security there. There were warnings...reporters would just walk through security doors out onto the runways for heaven's sake!

I think weapons should stay though...I mean I really want to get myself a polearm at Fanime. Besides, when have you EVER seen a sword sold that was sharp enough to actually damage someone at Fanime? I went to TWO different vendors and the only thing I got that was even that sharp was a longer KNIFE. Fanime people are happy people.

Jelly Soup

Hmm. Forgot about this topic.

Well, by your logic, I guess that means all gaming at the convention needs to get the heave ho, along with Cosplaying, because that's not an animated video from japan, that's some guy from Burbank dressing up.

Because those could never be based on anime, right? This isn't about logic, it's about common sense (or the lack there of).

QuoteThis isn't "COSPLAY"con.

Cosplay is a part of anime.

QuoteNor is it Jrockcon or Live Action Hongkongcon.

JRock is considered a part of anime (or at least a 'hand in hand' thing). Same with all the Hong Kong crap. Stop making stupid comparisons and give me a reason why I'm wrong.

QuoteIt's also not "MOMMYHOLDMYHANDCON".

You do realize that the absence of safety will turn Fanime into that (if not get it cancelled altogether)?

Quote...the average person at the show will not behave in a criminal fashion, and that any one individual that chooses to NOT follow the rules must accept the consequences.

And that's the rub. If someone is injured with a sword that was purchased at the con, it's not a simple matter of 'oh, arrest that guy'. The con will be held responsible.

QuoteOr should he and any other accomplaces be punished and made an example that we don't tollerate that kind of behavior?

You still don't get it. This isn't an issue of rules, it's an issue of liability, as FanFicGuru stated.

Quote from: "Ayanami Rei First Child"Swords go hand in hand with anime....do you realize just how many swords are IN anime?

Human sacrifice goes hand in hand with anime...do you realize just how much human sacrifices are IN anime?

Quote from: "Ayanami Rei First Child"Besides, when have you EVER seen a sword sold that was sharp enough to actually damage someone at Fanime?

Define 'damage'. If by damage you mean 'chop someones head off', then, no, I haven't. If by damage you mean 'draw blood', then, yes, I have.