Cosplay Chess!

Started by KindaRandomKris, June 05, 2005, 05:56:58 PM

Would you be interested in a game of Human Chess?

Yes, I'd take the part of a piece.
60 (70.6%)
Yes, I'd play the actual game on the smaller board.
5 (5.9%)
Yes, but I'd just watch.
14 (16.5%)
No.
6 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Voting closed: June 05, 2005, 05:56:58 PM

Ikari

Take away the glomping and I'm in.
You can turn your back on a person, but, never turn your back on an otaku. Especially when it's waving a razor-sharp pocky stick in your eye.
F'nOtaku - Celebrating 100 Years Of Annoying Fans

Leishu

Hn....

Want me to plot out the amount of money it would take to make... 64 3 foot by 3 foot squares out of paper? I work for a Kinko's so It's theoretically possible! :twisted:
Kabe ni kono Nyuuji wo tsukete mite kudasai.

KindaRandomKris

Quote from: "Inu_Ranma"Hn....

Want me to plot out the amount of money it would take to make... 64 3 foot by 3 foot squares out of paper? I work for a Kinko's so It's theoretically possible! :twisted:

Shite. 3ft quared? I was thinking more along the lines of 2 ft, but if you think 3 feet would work better, I can always hit up on my grandmother for more paper. She gets it free. =3
Proud SJSU Spartan - because hell is warmer than San Luis Obispo.
-
I take random people's AIM sn's and put them on my buddylist.
And then I never talk to them and forget who they are.

Green_Tea

Hey there. I would totally love to be a peice. Specially if I could be a rook or a knight or something.

Rather than using paper why don't you just use masking tape and for the black squares add diagnal lines inside. Also, The room that the dance was held in I think was empty during the day, though I could be wrong. You should see if you could do it in there.
2011 Cosplay Plans: (Vocaloid) Cantarella-Kaito 0%, (Professor Layton) Luke 0%, (Ponyo) Ponyo's Dad 0%

KindaRandomKris

Quote from: "Green_Tea"Hey there. I would totally love to be a peice. Specially if I could be a rook or a knight or something.

Rather than using paper why don't you just use masking tape and for the black squares add diagnal lines inside. Also, The room that the dance was held in I think was empty during the day, though I could be wrong. You should see if you could do it in there.

I think it'd be easier to just make the board out of paper: no messy tape cleanup, easier to transport, quicker to put together, and I can put more detailed stuff on each of the squares.
Do you think we could ... commandeer that room for a couple hours? I'll see if we can get into there.
-

Leishu

Kinkos' oversize black and white printer can print three feet by anything wide, depending on the limitations of the roll, at fifty cents a square foot (less for me). You'd need 24 foot long rolls, eight of them, at three feet wide, so it would be approximately 237 dollars (before 30 percent discount) to make the whole board from printer. ^^'
Kabe ni kono Nyuuji wo tsukete mite kudasai.

Jyunishinsho

I'd join.

Cosplay wise, what do you need?

KindaRandomKris

Quote from: "Inu_Ranma"Kinkos' oversize black and white printer can print three feet by anything wide, depending on the limitations of the roll, at fifty cents a square foot (less for me). You'd need 24 foot long rolls, eight of them, at three feet wide, so it would be approximately 237 dollars (before 30 percent discount) to make the whole board from printer. ^^'

Good lord. I'll just stick to hand-taping and marker-ing, I think.

Thanks for the info, though! It makes me feel all fuzzy that there are people that genuinely like the idea. I don't feel quite so stupid anymore.

Yay!

And Jyunishinsho, it doesn't matter really what cosplay you decide to wear. Just so long as you can fit all of it onto the squares (which are either going to be 2ft square or 3ft square). I would adore the more... 'shonen'-y characters, but I'm not going to put restrictions on the types of costumes.

Okay. So. Contrary to what I said earlier, I shall begin compiling the list of characters/cosplayers and the pieces. One of my friends (who has agreed, after much whining, to help me put this together) has claimed one of the queen spots. So yes. I'll have the basic list put up in a jiffy.
-

dosukinuta4

The people who are the Kings and Queens would have to be tall, taller than everyone else.
And we could have Naruto cosplayers on one side, and other cosplayers on the other side.
I'd personally like to be a bishop. :D
Open mouth  X(), insert bacon ~~~, yum X)

KindaRandomKris

Quote from: "dosukinuta4"The people who are the Kings and Queens would have to be tall, taller than everyone else.
And we could have Naruto cosplayers on one side, and other cosplayers on the other side.
I'd personally like to be a bishop. :D

That wouldn't be fair to many cosplayers, as not everyone is tall. Asians especially are rather short (spoken from experience - there are 13 year olds taller than me!), and it'd seem racist if only tall people could be kings and queens.

If we have enough Naruto cosplayers, sure, we could have them on one side of the board. I rather doubt we will have enough, though.
-

ced1106

Let's see...

* For the board, see if white or black squares on concrete, grass, carpet, or other solid color surface will do. Tape the corners of the squares together. On grass, nail in white squares. If you're using white squares, you can save $ by using rectangular squares, aka. sheets of paper. The best surface is office carpet with masking tape; you should be able to get away with ignoring the color of the squares.

* As for rank, cut out "headbands" or create paper hats with the rank symbol cut out. You can also have PVP pipe poles with the rank symbol at the ends; each person holds their pole upright.

* Use megaphone to announce chess moves, so that the cosplayers know where to move. And make sure the cosplays know how to move, lol. You may want a moderator to help make sure the cosplayers moved correctly. You may also want to bring along chess sets so the chess players know where the pieces are.

* Just for aesthetics sake, have the cosplay match the rank. People cosplaying duplicates can go in the back rank.

Here's an image from The Prisoner, which had an ep with human chess:
http://www.chessgraphics.net/jpg/chess10.jpg

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^
Los Altos Gamesday, Monthly, Saturdays, 10am-11pm
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/gamesday/

Available Sundays for Fantasy Flight Games tabletop gaming in the Santa Clara area.

KindaRandomKris

Quote from: "ced1106"Let's see...

* For the board, see if white or black squares on concrete, grass, carpet, or other solid color surface will do. Tape the corners of the squares together. On grass, nail in white squares. If you're using white squares, you can save $ by using rectangular squares, aka. sheets of paper. The best surface is office carpet with masking tape; you should be able to get away with ignoring the color of the squares.

* As for rank, cut out "headbands" or create paper hats with the rank symbol cut out. You can also have PVP pipe poles with the rank symbol at the ends; each person holds their pole upright.

* Use megaphone to announce chess moves, so that the cosplayers know where to move. And make sure the cosplays know how to move, lol. You may want a moderator to help make sure the cosplayers moved correctly. You may also want to bring along chess sets so the chess players know where the pieces are.

* Just for aesthetics sake, have the cosplay match the rank. People cosplaying duplicates can go in the back rank.

Here's an image from The Prisoner, which had an ep with human chess:
http://www.chessgraphics.net/jpg/chess10.jpg

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^

You are very cool. =D
The rankings will most likely be denoted with signs that people can wave around, like picket signs. That'd be so much easier than PVC, not to mention cheaper.

The chessboard itself will be posterboards (that are free, much to my delight) taped together. The board will most likely come in seperate folding pieces, for easy transportation and storage.

A megaphone would be nice - though, I'd need someone to donate that. I don't have one of my own. I was also planning on having a more normal sized chessboard be brought along, so the players have a better view of their playing field. Also, as I know many people (myself included) do not know the technical names of the spaces on the board, I think we'll have to dumb down the moves - like, knight Sakura, go up three and one to the left.

A wide variety of cosplays would be nice. I think that there will be only one cosplayer of any character on the board at a time. I'll have to think about variations in costume (like Cardcaptor Sakura's many outfits), but those might be acceptable.

Umm. Yes. On that note, when you sign up for a position, kindly include what you think you'll be cosplaying on that day. Thank you.
-

dosukinuta4

We need a megaphone, yes. That is most required.

I will be cosplaying as Dosu Kinuta(Naruto) on that day, and as i said earlier, ill be a bishop if i can. Ill see if i can get better speakers than i had this year, so i can play music for everyone. The ones i have now aren't very good. They dont project. :(

And Kris, i live in Los Gatos, so if u tell me where u live exactly i can help u make it. :D

Sassi_the_SYFG

How about a chess tournament on Friday, and then the Cosplay Chess on Saturday?  That way you can have the top two players from the tournament be the ones to dictate the movements of the human pieces, making it a championship game.

And you'll totally have enough Naruto costplayers.  Have you seen the pictures from the Naruto gathering??

KindaRandomKris

Quote from: "Sassi_the_SYFG"How about a chess tournament on Friday, and then the Cosplay Chess on Saturday?  That way you can have the top two players from the tournament be the ones to dictate the movements of the human pieces, making it a championship game.

And you'll totally have enough Naruto costplayers.  Have you seen the pictures from the Naruto gathering??

There are a few problems with the tournament + championship games:
How will we find the space for a tournament? Are there enough people willing to actually play chess? Anime fans tend to come to conventions for the anime - and a lot don't know how to play chess.
I also will most likely be attending only Saturday and Sunday - It's not until 2007 that I'll be able to spend a whole four days at Fanime. Being a highschooler sucks.

And for the Naruto cosplayers: They don't seem very interested. I ran this by them once, because I'd initially intended to have only Naruto cosplayers be pieces, but they kinda shot me down. So I opened the idea to all cosplays.
-

KindaRandomKris

Quote from: "dosukinuta4"We need a megaphone, yes. That is most required.

I will be cosplaying as Dosu Kinuta(Naruto) on that day, and as i said earlier, ill be a bishop if i can. Ill see if i can get better speakers than i had this year, so i can play music for everyone. The ones i have now aren't very good. They dont project. :(

And Kris, i live in Los Gatos, so if u tell me where u live exactly i can help u make it. :D

Does it matter to you which side of the board you'll be on? Or do you have a preference?
-

Minagi-chan

Ah, I was wondering when this would come up.  

I think that the cosplay part is a good idea, but not glomp chess.  At least not together.  The problem with the glomp is that, inevitably, somebody caught up in the moment will take it from glomp to flying tackle chess.  Yes, that is indeed... bad.  Other than the injury risks, the glomping might do some damage to people's cosplays.

Other than that, I think it's a great idea!
<3 Miss Coquine <3
We slip and slide as we fall in love and I just can't seem to get enough.

KindaRandomKris

Quote from: "Minagi-chan"Ah, I was wondering when this would come up.  

I think that the cosplay part is a good idea, but not glomp chess.  At least not together.  The problem with the glomp is that, inevitably, somebody caught up in the moment will take it from glomp to flying tackle chess.  Yes, that is indeed... bad.  Other than the injury risks, the glomping might do some damage to people's cosplays.

Other than that, I think it's a great idea!

=3 Excellent point. Glomps are dangerous, either expected or not.

So we probably won't have glomps. I don't want to risk killing the chessboard anyway.
-

VictimX

I'd like to be a knight if possible any side, I'll probly go as a Resident Evil or Dino Crisis character.

dosukinuta4

I dont think that the side matters.
I like the tournament idea, but getting people to play in it will be hard. Maybe if we offered a cash prize to the winner...