Dance Dance Fanime! 2006 DDR Tourney

Started by Spiritsnare, June 13, 2005, 08:30:43 PM

Nina Star 9

do we know what mix it will be, or at leaast have any ideas?

becaeu if it is anything less than 5th mix, i am out. ^^;

Quote from: "Richie Likes Maids"
Now to find me a maid cosplayer...
*decides to wear something other than her maid costume for the competition* o.o;

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "Richie Likes Maids"Hm, are E-Gaming staffers alllowed to enter? If so, I think I have the perfect freestyle routine for Mobo Moga.

Now to find me a maid cosplayer...

I believe Umi has told me that E-Gaming is separate from Arcades, so that's a maybe. Most likely no, though.

Quote from: "Nina Star 9"do we know what mix it will be, or at leaast have any ideas?

becaeu if it is anything less than 5th mix, i am out. ^^;

I'm thinking Extreme. It has the most songs out of any mix.

Right now, I'm considering giving away a copy of DDR Extreme 2 to the winners, because that mix is pure love.
epic progressive

vox

Spiritsnare

To bump and further prove a point:

Quote from: "OniCourseMusha"I don't think Legend Road on the final is a good idea.

U know that there are people are afraid or don't play Oni Courses. And plus HOW MANY PEOPLE EVEN LAST MAX300 ON ONI??

Here's a snippet of an AIM conversation I had last night - name Bob'd for privacy:

[Bob]: hey
[Bob]: I hear you be talkin to [my friend].
SpiritsnareAlpha: And who might this be? :3
[Bob]: [Bob], I attempted to run a tourney at fanime last year.
SpiritsnareAlpha: Ah. :3 So, what's up?
[Bob]: Nommuch, homework and stuff. I'd like to help anyway I can. I frequent golflands, and can find out things for you about the machines.
[Bob]: But, I don't want to run it.
[Bob]: Cuz I want to enter. Preferebly ITG. Since DDR is old and boring. I play legend road doubles like once every 3 weeks.

Now, this gives me a dilemma. Either I try and petition for an ITG rig to please the uberly-expert-Breaking-Point-slash-Pure-Hell crowd, or I suggest that they stay away from the tourney, because it's going to do two things:

• Upset the balance of tourney players by doing the hardest crap imaginable -- flawlessly
    and slash or
  • prevent others from winning the tourney
    and slash or
  • bore them.
What do you guys think? Currently, I'm towards providing a purely DDR experience, as that's what's most familiar to most people. However, if most people require it, who knows -- either we get an ITG cab or we play at the RedOctane booth. XD
epic progressive

vox

winry_elric

just curious--you guys DID get permission to run this tourney before you got all riled up about it? If so, SIGN ME UP!  :D  :D

Chun

Quote from: "Spiritsnare"
[Bob]: Cuz I want to enter. Preferebly ITG. Since DDR is old and boring. I play legend road doubles like once every 3 weeks.

Random Fact: Generally those people are short.

*grumble about the three-arrow moves and his height.

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

Jyunishinsho

Gah...I just played DDR recently and MAN I can't play anymore...that stinks...

Give me a few days, then I can somewhat ok.

;_;

Tsukai Mori

Quote from: "Jyunishinsho"Gah...I just played DDR recently and MAN I can't play anymore...that stinks...

Give me a few days, then I can somewhat ok.

;_;

HAH! Give me a year before I start to play...wait, thats nearly enough time before the con! Seriously though, DDR is so hard to get back on once you're off it for a while. Ugh...Sakura Heavy...lets do this...

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "winry_elric"just curious--you guys DID get permission to run this tourney before you got all riled up about it? If so, SIGN ME UP!  :D  :D

1. I still have to pitch this to Live Programming. (Yeah, that's what Umi said to submit it to - Live Programming.)
2. We're taking sign-ups at con, but it's nice to know that you're interested. ;) Maybe we can do online signups for half of the entries a la the Karaoke Contest...

As for you guys, Jyun and Tsukai -- you have half a year to build your skills up. ;) Good luck.
epic progressive

vox

Jyunishinsho

Already done. Got my blindfold playing skill back again.

---

And blindfold skill for DM and Keyboardmania...

winry_elric

Quote from: "Spiritsnare"
Quote from: "winry_elric"just curious--you guys DID get permission to run this tourney before you got all riled up about it? If so, SIGN ME UP!  :D  :D

1. I still have to pitch this to Live Programming. (Yeah, that's what Umi said to submit it to - Live Programming.)
2. We're taking sign-ups at con, but it's nice to know that you're interested. ;) Maybe we can do online signups for half of the entries a la the Karaoke Contest...

As for you guys, Jyun and Tsukai -- you have half a year to build your skills up. ;) Good luck.

oh, alrighty. Yayness! say, I know this is WAY off-topic, but has anyone noticed that the emoticons look EXACTLY like the Gaia ones? Just something I noticed, I'm very random today ^^

Spiritsnare

Gaia runs off of a modified version of the bulletin board system phpBB, and that's what we're using, as well.

Jyun, you'll have to show me your Keyboardmania-playing skills...Be a man and play Pressure mode for me, will ya? ;)
epic progressive

vox

YoureMyHiro

I used to think there were mad skills in Keyboardmania players untill I played pink rose passed with a high score just by bashing all the keys together at the same time to the beat of the song.

dealerJason

Hey, can you folks come to the meeting this Saturday? I would love to talk to you about this.  You have NO idea how many connections we have within Fanime to make this happen.  We have the ability to put on a first rate event!  Come talk to me Saturday!

Sincerely,
Jason Ebner
Jason Ebner
Fanime Staffer *retired*
I was blamed for EVERYTHING! :-)
www.asahicon.org
www.blameebner.com

Spiritsnare

I'll be there for sure...unless some last-minute things throw everything off. I hope not, though, because I do want this to be as big as it can get.

Speaking of DDR tournaments, you should go and notify Marketing -- Maxgames, the Tech's videogame tourney, is on Saturday as well. You might want to go and advertise Fanime to the masses there. :3
epic progressive

vox

Jyunishinsho

How do I make Keyboardmania into Pressure mode? I've been trying to find that for a long time.

Yay. I got a perfect play on Pink rose the other day.

Spiritsnare

On Keyboardmania 3rdMIX, keep on pressing down on that thingamabobber, and Pressure will be revealed.

It's sorta like what you do to select Marathon Mode on DMX2.

edit we have a logo now. isn't it spiffy?
epic progressive

vox

Spiritsnare

Back on topic: bumped.

People that are thinking of entering in the freestyle competitions, you may want to take a look at this video for ideas on what to and what not to do.

Seeing this makes me want to have the freestylers sign a contract that says we're not liable for any damage incurred during their performance. :D
epic progressive

vox

AbsolutelyCursed

M

Quote from: "YoureMyHiro"I used to think there were mad skills in Keyboardmania players untill I played pink rose passed with a high score just by bashing all the keys together at the same time to the beat of the song.
There are "mad skills" in Keyboardmania players, but only KBM players that actually play it correctly.

Quote from: "Spiritsnare"To bump and further prove a point:

Quote from: "OniCourseMusha"I don't think Legend Road on the final is a good idea.

U know that there are people are afraid or don't play Oni Courses. And plus HOW MANY PEOPLE EVEN LAST MAX300 ON ONI??

Here's a snippet of an AIM conversation I had last night - name Bob'd for privacy:

[Bob]: hey
[Bob]: I hear you be talkin to [my friend].
SpiritsnareAlpha: And who might this be? :3
[Bob]: [Bob], I attempted to run a tourney at fanime last year.
SpiritsnareAlpha: Ah. :3 So, what's up?
[Bob]: Nommuch, homework and stuff. I'd like to help anyway I can. I frequent golflands, and can find out things for you about the machines.
[Bob]: But, I don't want to run it.

Now, this gives me a dilemma. Either I try and petition for an ITG rig to please the uberly-expert-Breaking-Point-slash-Pure-Hell crowd, or I suggest that they stay away from the tourney, because it's going to do two things:

• Upset the balance of tourney players by doing the hardest crap imaginable -- flawlessly
    and slash or
  • prevent others from winning the tourney
    and slash or
  • bore them.
What do you guys think? Currently, I'm towards providing a purely DDR experience, as that's what's most familiar to most people. However, if most people require it, who knows -- either we get an ITG cab or we play at the RedOctane booth. XD

Run it the way you want to, if someone thinks that they can just win because they play _ everyday, let them. ;)

If they get beat... :D

Also, please note that this tournament is not final yet.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

OniCourseMusha

Oh man...........
I used to play everyday. Now I only get to play it every week and I don't even compare to few of my friends or other crazy Nor Cal players.

I only see how far can I get when competing.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand