2006 Fanfic Panel - Planing Discussion

Started by jpalmer, June 16, 2005, 11:00:33 AM

jpalmer

I'm starting this new thread as a place to discuss the Fanime 2006 Fanfic Panel.

If you have attended previous panels and have ideas for making the 2006 panel better, then please start the discussion here.

Akira Miyamoto

Well, I feel that people should've gotten the chance to say what their author name was, that way, they could've been looked up at a later time. then again, I arrived late, so...
"Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, stick dynamite down his throat and he'll go with a full belly."

Kiba

I thought the panel last year was awesome, only, I sort of have hearing issues, so basically after every single person said a comment, my sister had to lean over and tell me what they said cause they were all so dang quiet! >.< ( I felt so bad, people probably though we were being rude and talking when they were...) So, maybe if there's anyway to get a mike to pass around? I don't know...but the silence was just overwhelming and it was hard for me to hear what everyone was saying. However, I still thought it was awesome, cause I learned alot cause it was set up in a good way. ^^
Not funny...:(

Akira Miyamoto

Hmmm...it would've been nice if there was strawberry pocky...
"Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, stick dynamite down his throat and he'll go with a full belly."

Chun

I really want to delve into the aspects of OOC fansubbing and how to express love without sex or corniness. Lots of fanfics lack ambience, and that's what really makes one truly stand out.

EDIT: fanFICTIONing. Bleh, blame animesuki.

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

zaitcev

Quote from: "Kiba"So, maybe if there's anyway to get a mike to pass around?
Switching back to panel format ought to fix that.

jpalmer

I agree that the audio issue was something to be addressed, but I'm not sure we could get wireless mics to hand around.

I think the unpanel format would have worked much better in a smaller room, I hope that next year Fanime will open up of the other conference rooms available downstairs, away from the Video room and hallway noise.

For a big room I'm thinking about a "Congressional Hearing" format. The idea would be that there would be one to three moderators, taking the place of the Congressmen, and several panels of 3-5 people picked from the room who would come up and "give testimoy" for five to ten minutes on a particular subject.  

The way this would work would be that the moderator would call for a panel on the subject, for example "Fanfiction.net", or "Mary Sue", or "Self Inserts"  and those who wanted to be on that panel would raise their hands to be selected to be on that panel.  They'd then go to the front of the room to be sworn in, and to use the microphones to talk about that subject. The moderators would ask questions, and repeat audience questions so that everyone could hear. Panelists could "testify" under multiple subjects, but preference would go those who had not been on a panel yet.

I know this makes it harder for the shy atendees to participate, but it would mean that everyone could hear everything.

Wadya think?

Kiba

I don't know, I'm um..sort of confused by what you mean. ^_^' I do like the idea of having it in a smaller room because that wouldn't certainly make it a whole ton easier for people like me who have hearing problems to be able to catch everything ( or even just for anyone who couldn't hear a dang thin in that huge room, lol )

Since you mentioned your idea might make it harder for shyer people to speak, then I'm not sure if I like it. Lol, I know even at last years panel I had to force my sister to ask about crossovers in fanfics because I was too embarrassed to and even then I still wanted to have a little bit o' discussion about OOC-ness...^_^''
Not funny...:(

zaitcev

I talked to J. on IRC a week ago and he was going to have the panel this year as usual, and keep the unpanel format. But I see no updates here, and no schedule.

jpalmer

I got an email from the Panel co-ordinater, the Fanficion Panel is scheduled for Saturday, noon to 1pm in Ballroom C.

See ya all there.

Come with topics in mind.

Beware the Jar.