Japanese Tea Ceremony

Started by Akira Miyamoto, June 22, 2005, 01:55:13 AM

Akira Miyamoto

I got this idea from "Ai Yori Aoshi"... Basically, it would be a panel showing how a traditional Tea Ceremony is done. I'd think spots would have to be limited, though...since the audience participates. This one could get quite expensive.
"Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, stick dynamite down his throat and he'll go with a full belly."

Yukimi

about that...  in a Japanese tea ceremony, don't you have to literally crawl through this door?  how exactly will that be pulled off?

an alteration upon this idea would be a tea panel?  xD;  i am tea-obsessed, so i would definentely go to that.

Nyxyin

The Fanime2001 Program Guide says that there was a supposed to have been a Tea Ceremony at that Fanime.  I wonder if it actually happened and how it turned out.

Quote from: "Fanime2001 Program Guide, page 25,"Tea Ceremony
Come experience the Urasenke tradition of Chado (see story on page 29).  You will have the opportunity to witness and participate in this special ritual.  Reservations are required.  See our information desk for details.

Akira Miyamoto

Quote from: "Nyxyin"The Fanime2001 Program Guide says that there was a supposed to have been a Tea Ceremony at that Fanime.  I wonder if it actually happened and how it turned out.

Quote from: "Fanime2001 Program Guide, page 25,"Tea Ceremony
Come experience the Urasenke tradition of Chado (see story on page 29).  You will have the opportunity to witness and participate in this special ritual.  Reservations are required.  See our information desk for details.

And now I wish I had come to Fanime '01. Well, maybe it could be done again next year...
"Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, stick dynamite down his throat and he'll go with a full belly."

Nyxyin

Quote from: "Akira Miyamoto"maybe it could be done again next year...
Wait!  There's nothing wrong with doing it again this year!  2001 was a long time ago, and I didn't go.

SadisticSolace

You know that sounds like a really great idea too to be able to pull something like that off. I like this idea very much.

-Solace
Bunnies and Anime. Yummy ^.^

Akira Miyamoto

It's a good idea, and I just realized it may not ba as packed as I thought, after all, is the average anime fan in America truly intrested in the ways of Japanese culture and tradition?

Nina Star 9

they should have a tea ceremony. ^^ and a tea panel. you could learn about all the diffrent types and how to prepare it and stuff. ^^

Nyxyin

Quote from: "Akira Miyamoto"is the average anime fan in America truly intrested in the ways of Japanese culture and tradition?
FanimeCon attendees aren't "average fans" -- I imagine most would like to go.  However, there's a lot of other stuff happening at FanimeCon.  If you happen to schedule during the same time as something more popular, then people won't go.  For example, I would love to attend the tea ceremony panel, but the Guest of Honor panels would take precedence for me.  The biggest downside to Fanime is that there's only one of me but there's often multiple events I want to attend during any given hour at the con.

Akira Miyamoto

Quote from: "Nyxyin"
Quote from: "Akira Miyamoto"is the average anime fan in America truly intrested in the ways of Japanese culture and tradition?
FanimeCon attendees aren't "average fans" -- I imagine most would like to go.  However, there's a lot of other stuff happening at FanimeCon.  If you happen to schedule during the same time as something more popular, then people won't go.  For example, I would love to attend the tea ceremony panel, but the Guest of Honor panels would take precedence for me.  The biggest downside to Fanime is that there's only one of me but there's often multiple events I want to attend during any given hour at the con.

Well, I suppose...

Chun

I would like to attend a tea ceremony at least once in my life. Though I never truly understood what makes it delicious...

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

AbsolutelyCursed

I think having a tea ceremony is a great idea. If they have it I will definitely be there.

Nyxyin

Quote from: "Chun"I would like to attend a tea ceremony at least once in my life. Though I never truly understood what makes it delicious...
Caffeine is an addictive substance...?

ced1106

Quote from: "Chun"I would like to attend a tea ceremony at least once in my life. Though I never truly understood what makes it delicious...

OT, But I remember reading a book about food and cultures, and the author wrote that every culture has a bitter drink, with children learning to drink it by the addition of sugar, milk, etc. In the states, it's coffee, in China, Japan, and Britain, it's tea. I don't remember other countries. Of course, I suspect the taste tea in the Japanese tea ceremony is probably the least / last important thing of the ceremony itself...  :D

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^
Los Altos Gamesday, Monthly, Saturdays, 10am-11pm
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/gamesday/

Available Sundays for Fantasy Flight Games tabletop gaming in the Santa Clara area.

Nyxyin

Quote from: "ced1106"I remember reading a book about food and cultures, and the author wrote that every culture has a bitter drink, with children learning to drink it by the addition of sugar, milk, etc. In the states, it's coffee
:shock:  I didn't put any sweeteners in tea until after college (when I was first exposed to Thai teas and then pearl milk teas), and I've been drinking hot tea since before I can remember.  (I used to have a very sensitive stomach as a kid, and I think hot tea helped kill off whatever bacteria it was that kept making me sick.)  And in the States, plenty of adults don't seem to ever get weaned off the sugar, milk, or cream in their coffee.

Akira Miyamoto

~Chun

Well, I'm sure that if one appreciates it, there are certain subtleties and nuances to the flavor of correctly brewed Green Tea. But I think that the appeal of the tea ceremony is the ceremony itself, which is as nuanced and subtle as the tea. There's meaning, poetry in every movement, I believe...

Wow, that was corny...but I'm serious.

MeliCat

As long as everyone knows tea cereony green tea is frothy and tastes different, we should be good. I'd love to come, I'll even crawl through the door.

astroboy

If Fanime does have a tea ceremony panel I'd try to stop by. Expanding my knowledge of the art of tea (beyond tea bags) would be a good thing.  8)

Aside from tasting ummm "green", green tea should be steeped for no more then 4 minutes max....but black tea can be steeped for 5 minutes. Leaving the tea bag in the water for too long actually "messes up" the tea leaves giving it an unpleasant bitter flavor. Once you taste the difference you'll never go back to double dipping your tea bags.  [-X

KimaLucifer

Whoa that's one expensive panel but it'd be interesting I'm sure if you haven't gone to one ever.

I'm saying expensive cause tea sweets are REALLY expensive @_@

But yes. People should learn manners :D
Doll Collecting Frenzy.
MSD#2, SD13#16, YSD Kuuta, MSDOne-offSwDMiuBoy
AoD Lele x2

MSD#17 coming home soon

Living my life away in Japan...hopefully to return for fanime next NEXT year.

pockystix

What about stage zero? They can show it up there, ne? Though, it might be boring for some. ^^; I'd be looking foward to it if they did have a presentation, though.
New sn = Meirin