Main Menu

J-List

Started by serajwl, June 25, 2005, 10:14:42 AM

serajwl

EIT EDIT EDIT: So I've noticed that J-List will be coming to fanime!

Congradulations Fanime team! :D

One of the main parts of an anime convention is the dealers room, as you all know.

I believe that Fanime has a great dealer's room, with all the merchendise you can imagine... except for one thing. J-list.

www.j-list.com has been refusing to come and be a dealer from what I have heard.

Now I'm wondering a) why are they refusing to be dealers and b) what can we do to get them to come to Fanime Con 2006?

maybe start out with a petition? and if it's something more, then we can work on that... but in the mean time, anybody got answers? DealerJason?

dealerJason

You don't need a petition.  What you can do is just e-mail J-list, then get your friends to e-mail J-list and let them know they will make odles of cash at our show.

The number one reason dealers come to our show is so they can make money.  If dealers do very well, they tell other dealers, "Yeah, Fanime?  Great show!  Made lots of money!"

If dealers say, "Fanime, yeah, okay show, made some money." that really does not excite dealers to try our show.

So, if you want J-List, make sure you write to them and let them know that you and your OVER 18 YEAR OLD FRIENDS would love to buy from them and you will buy A LOT!

Sincerely,
Jason Ebner
Jason Ebner
Fanime Staffer *retired*
I was blamed for EVERYTHING! :-)
www.asahicon.org
www.blameebner.com

frumpy

Also, please understand that the core operations staff from J-list is located in Japan...I would think it's kinda difficult for them to fly over just to setup a booth for a con nonetheless. Their San Diego base is just their shipping warehouse and does not hold many staff members.
Camilla Wong
Dealers Dept '07-'12, 2014-current
Charity Auction '04, '09-'12
Video Programming '00-'04
Gopher Volunteer '98-'99

doorbell

...I wan't J-list here. I vote for Sara.

serajwl

Quote from: "frumpy"Also, please understand that the core operations staff from J-list is located in Japan...I would think it's kinda difficult for them to fly over just to setup a booth for a con nonetheless. Their San Diego base is just their shipping warehouse and does not hold many staff members.

umm.. there's at least 6 people that work in the San Diego base. I think that's enough to set up and manage two or three dealer tables.

frumpy

Quote from: "serajwl"
Quote from: "frumpy"Also, please understand that the core operations staff from J-list is located in Japan...I would think it's kinda difficult for them to fly over just to setup a booth for a con nonetheless. Their San Diego base is just their shipping warehouse and does not hold many staff members.

umm.. there's at least 6 people that work in the San Diego base. I think that's enough to set up and manage two or three dealer tables.

Yes, but that also means you're asking them to stop with their internet sales for a con. Even though you may think they have sufficient staff to work their booth, you're also taking away hours of work from their regular sales. Having 2-3 booths would cost a minimum of $1k-1,500 at the very least. Aside from that, they would also need to pay for a hotel room, truck rental, gas for a truck that can haul at least 3-5 palettes of inventory coming from San Diego (10-12 hr drive), food expenses, AND paying the employees for their services.

Trust me, it ain't easy. I work for a dealer and traveling for a con is ALOT of trouble - especially if the dealer has a lack of staff to keep the storefront open AND staff for cons. :oops:

It is possible for them to come to FanimeCon, however the question looms for them: Can they afford it? Is it worth the trip? There's no point if all they can do is 'break even' in the end.
Camilla Wong
Dealers Dept '07-'12, 2014-current
Charity Auction '04, '09-'12
Video Programming '00-'04
Gopher Volunteer '98-'99

serajwl

I suppose you're right about all that stuff...  but nonetheless, i still would like j-list to come to fanime as i am sure many other fanime goers would like them to go as well. so i would like to make an effort.

G.I.R

Just in case anyone is going to SDCC, they have a booth there this year.
I'd suggest talking to their reps in person, and make them aware that you'd like to have them come to Fanime. :)

Mach5Motorsport

Quote from: "G.I.R"Just in case anyone is going to SDCC, they have a booth there this year.
I'd suggest talking to their reps in person, and make them aware that you'd like to have them come to Fanime. :)

Think about it......SDCC has over 70,000 people attend.  The J-list warehouse staff is in San Diego.  Having a booth at that con makes good business sense.
Brian Doan "Dieter"

Fanime Cosplay Host 2006
Fanime DerCosplay Coord. 2001-2005
Yaoi Con Cosplay Coord. 2002-2005
JTAF 1 & 2
2003 Anime Expo Cosplay, Art & Charity Host
2002 Project Akon Cosplay Host

Abel

Quote from: "frumpy"
Yes, but that also means you're asking them to stop with their internet sales for a con. Even though you may think they have sufficient staff to work their booth, you're also taking away hours of work from their regular sales. Having 2-3 booths would cost a minimum of $1k-1,500 at the very least. Aside from that, they would also need to pay for a hotel room, truck rental, gas for a truck that can haul at least 3-5 palettes of inventory coming from San Diego (10-12 hr drive), food expenses, AND paying the employees for their services.

Yup. Also I am sure that J-list has heard how slow sales for adult goods are at Fanime. They have to consider if it is worth the effort.

Since you can order goods from them online I don't see why they need to do most cons.

sykoeent

If you can't get J-List to come to Fanime, you should look for their direct competition and invite them. Or invite other stores. Maybe make a flier and pass it out to the dealers at smaller shows.

serajwl

So now we have J-list coming to Fanime. How exciting!

~~Loktera~~

Quote from: "serajwl"So now we have J-list coming to Fanime. How exciting!
No freekin way... That's just awesome... I might need to bring more money...
It all really depends how well the lies are told...

topnotch97

for real?
time to save some cash if there gonna have some magazines.
there's like tons of magazines that are a pain to acquire.
Retired from Fanime.
Thinking of coming back. :D

otakuapprentice

yay!!!! :D  :D
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

lyricaldanichan

Too bad those Hello Kitty vibrators are no longer being made :( . Hopefully they will have high quality doujinshi for straight people.  :twisted:

LOL

YoureMyHiro

I cant believe I just noticed that J-List was on the vendor list, Im about as stoked for them as I am Linda Tran and Kim Von Martin. :wink:

Kazuko

:3 ooooo cool-ness I cant wait!

they have a good candy selection ^^

Chocolate Lover

I bought X-Change 2 and two hentai mangas.

ADORABLEAZN06

yeah! evrything seems too expensive in dealers room...
i spend all my money all figures!!!!