Idea: 24/4 Convenience Store

Started by otakuya, December 16, 2005, 07:29:34 PM

otakuya

I had an idea (like I always do).

Staying at SJ for 3-4 nights? A lot of people in one room? ONE soap bar? Forgot your toothbrush? Need deodorant? Want a snack at 3 in the morning, but don't want Denny's or a big meal?

Let there be an at-con convenience store! It's like a 7-11, where you could buy non-anime essentials like soap, toothbrush/paste, chips, batteries, towels, medicine, film, Red Bull, deodorant, mouthwash, shampoo etc... Any essential that can be found at a 'real' 7-11 (except beer). It will be open 24 hours a day for every day of the convention (hence 24/4) on the convention center floor (not the dealers room, cuz it closes).

Meh....go ahead and steal this idea. I'll buy from you anyway.

Jelly Soup

This might be something better proposed to the convention center itself. Then again, there are many convenience stores within walking distance of the convention center.

Sunara Ishi

Its a nice thought but its very likely that the prices will be high and we all know how much people try to avoid high prices. Most people....
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

SadisticSolace

The idea for this is good. I mean who wants to be walking the streets and leave the convention center when it could all be right there. I think there is a lot of money in this right here w00t!

-Solace
Bunnies and Anime. Yummy ^.^

ININ

The Hyatt (or the hotel opposite the Hilton at the SJCC, not sure I identified the hotel correctly) has a convenience store.  The good news is the store closes at 1:00 A.M.  The bad news is the prices are pretty high and selection is poor.

I don't think the Hilton has a convenience store???  I rarely visited the hotel when I attend Fanime.

Spiritsnare

Here's an idea: Buy all your stuff beforehand. :D

Although the idea's pretty awesome.
epic progressive

vox

SadisticSolace

But a lot of people forget to bring things... I fall victim to that all of the time!

-Solace
Bunnies and Anime. Yummy ^.^

lying is an art form

Little Caesar's 5-5-5 deal. Pitch in with your friends for about 2 boxes per person, and you're set for the entire con XD

That's what I'm doing =P

But I'd LOVE to have a convenience store at-con. Can we have 7-11 as a sponsor? $4.95 for a 20 oz. Slurpee!
Do you like Magic: the Gathering or just fun games in general? I'm offering a fun way to play Magic right here! I'm bringing these to Fanime 2009 :) PM me to secure one!

Ayanami Rei First Child

It would be nice if there were maps or something for those of us with no idea HOW to get to these places!! There was one time I paid like...$5 for 2 things of cup ramen because I had NO idea where to get a decent meal that would be open late at night. There are those of us who plan on staying up all night AT LEAST once....so it would be really good to have directions to these places ^^;

lying is an art form

You know, if we could get varieties of vending machines in there it'd be a hit. I remember seeing some "hot foods" vending machines at the Oakland Ice Skating Center. French Fries, Chicken Strips, Pizza, etc. in a vending machine. We could have like two of those, then soda machines, and stuff. Staff could constantly patrol the area so no disgrunted people tilt the machines and such and someone could refill them every hour or so. That'd be OK, right?

Oh and for the map, I have an urge to like scout the area and such now to make a map but I don't live in the SJ area so I can't really do that ><
Do you like Magic: the Gathering or just fun games in general? I'm offering a fun way to play Magic right here! I'm bringing these to Fanime 2009 :) PM me to secure one!

Ayanami Rei First Child

Well even just telephone numbers could provide us with address....addresses that give us directions via MapQuest.

That vending machine idea is BRILLIANT!! I think that's the best idea so far. Although with Soda you'd have stiff competition from the hotels...unless you sold a 20z for like....$2 or under...then you'd really stick 'em where it hurts :twisted:

pngaou

this topic brings up an interesting question. can we sell food/other things to the public during the con? i know that there are food places open during the day in the convention center, so that might pose compettition that they wouldn't like. if we can sell, what do you need to do so?

Tuplica

There's a shop across the way from the Hilton, but both years I've been there I have NEVER seen it open at any hour of the day.  I have no idea why. o_O

Also, depending on the hotel you're staying in, there's a chance you could request little things like a toothbrush, deoderant, more soap.  Soap's definite, but I remember the Hilton having a sign up (at least, I think it was the hilton... so many hotels, so little time) about the 'general necessities'.  Basically that if you lost or forgot a little thing like a toothbrush, they'd give you a new one for free.  Yaaay for pricy hotels.
Attending Fanime since 2002, having panic attacks and editing marathons since 2003.

lyricaldanichan

It is a bit off topic but damn there are times that I wish Fry's Electronics would be 24 hours like Wal-Mart and Walgreens.

Oh well :(

VLADE

thank god i live in sanjose so i know where all the good places are, but either way the convient store and the vending machine ideas are actually ver good ideas there is going to be alot of money in it seeing as most people dont want to leave the convetion center during the con, cuz you dont want to miss something important and thatd suck if you lost ur badge on the outside of the con ehh? it hapend to me once, i then found out i left it at jack in the box. i wnet back and it was still on the seat, no one stole i waS so happy. but this shoudl really be considered if its not too late

OH WRAITH GOT PWNED

YoureMyHiro

I cant recall but I can recall at vending machine of sorts that dispensed toiletries and the like in one of the hotels adjacent to the convention center and as previously mentioned the Hilton and Marriott both have convenience stores although they are priced relatively high.

Barnes

Quote from: "YoureMyHiro"I cant recall but I can recall at vending machine of sorts that dispensed toiletries and the like in one of the hotels adjacent to the convention center and as previously mentioned the Hilton and Marriott both have convenience stores although they are priced relatively high.

Yeah, I saw a vending machine on the same floor as the pool in the Marriott. There's also one in the Hilton?
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

zimbach

There's always been a list and map of dining establishments in the convention program book. One would hope it would include nearby convenience stores too.

But remember, if you're staying at a hotel, you can always ask for extras of basic things like soap and shampoo (things normally stocked in the room) at the front desk.
Jason Pagura

sailormoonhdn

hey this might help everyone for the 07 con. There's actually a map, that I got from the hilton that gives you all the information such as places to eat, super market (if you want to stock up and save money), and a bunch of other things that you might find helpful. hek, I even found an anime shop! too bad they were closed. :(
As for the vending machine, it sounds like a good idea but i believe vending machine are privately owned by someone other than the hotel. Some of them are owned by the hotel but ppl pay the hotel so they can place their vending machine there. That's why sometimes when the vending machine takes your money, and you complain but some places say they can't do anything about it.....happens to me all the time...argh

astroboy

Quote from: "Otakuya"I had an idea (like I always do).

Staying at SJ for 3-4 nights? A lot of people in one room? ONE soap bar? Forgot your toothbrush? Need deodorant? Want a snack at 3 in the morning, but don't want Denny's or a big meal?
One time I asked a hotel staffer at check in where's the nearest convenience store because I forgot my toothbrush.

Believe it or not the gentleman walked over to a desk, pulled one out, and gave it to me. I was totally unprepared for that. So much so I guess the look on my face must of been the same as someone who just saw a magic trick.

That made my day. I tipped him a couple bucks and was GLAD I didn't have to go walk outside or worse, have to drive out to the nearest store. Knowing how San Jose is, it probably would been the later.   :roll: