How To Sew/Cosplay Panel

Started by Haruka, February 19, 2003, 05:55:20 PM

AnnoyedWabbit

"Q&A" format sounds cool. ^__^
Cosplay Fanime 2009:
Alcia Melchiott and Welkin Gunther (Valkyria Chronicles)
Can I actually finish this without a)failing out of my senior year and b)killing myself? Only time will tell.

Siylphyide

In case you need anyone else to help host the panel, I'd be more than happy to help out. Been sewing for years! (Around 6...) ^_^ GREAT idea on this BTW. Even if you don't need my help, I think I'll be attending.

Keep me updated!

hellangel

Okay, so the Panel/Workshop application thingy is up. Shall I apply to make a Cosplay Q&A session? I guess I'll be host or something- I want to get a variety of different cosplayers with different skills on the board. Once I decide what those categories are, I'll make a post and you can apply directly to me.

How's that sound? Do we still want to make a panel happen?
Upcoming events:

YCon | PMX | ALA | AOD | Fanime | AX

AnnoyedWabbit

Cosplay Fanime 2009:
Alcia Melchiott and Welkin Gunther (Valkyria Chronicles)
Can I actually finish this without a)failing out of my senior year and b)killing myself? Only time will tell.

dealerJason

Yes Hell angel!  Please do so!  I would love it!

Jason Ebner
Head of Programming
FanimeCon 2006
Jason Ebner
Fanime Staffer *retired*
I was blamed for EVERYTHING! :-)
www.asahicon.org
www.blameebner.com

hellangel

well, i submitted a request thingy yesterday. or the day before. or something ^^" so it's a go if it's approved!

Jason, when do we know? I need to gather supplies and stuff, and there's a chance that I can use this to fulfill some sort of academic award, so I need to know ASAP. Thanks ^___^
Upcoming events:

fullmetalneko

Are there any other aspects that need to be covered for cosplay?  

So far I have in.

Basic Cosplay Panel -  General/All Around
Wing Construction
Wig Construction
Tailoring for the Real Body

I'm also working with the possibility of splitting the Cosplay basics panel into a Basic and Advanced.  (Should the people I have lined up be cool with it.)  Is there anything else that would go beyond that?
FanimeCon 2006 - Panels Head
Now Rena's Panel's Slave

hellangel

Here's kind of what I had in mind:

*General Cosplay - Q&A Panel (ideally the first panel in this bunch to start things off =D)
*Beginner's Panel: Basic Hand-Sewing
*Beginner's Panel: Choosing the Right Fabric
*Wing Construction
*Introduction to Wig Work
*Designing for Fashion and Cosplay
*Pattern-making: Creating a New Pattern/Pattern Modification
*General Loli Information Panel (differences between EGL/Sweet loli/etc, key components of the style, etc)
*Overview on Propwork and Accessories (materials, where to get them, how to use them, painting, etc)
*Keeping It Con-Safe: How to Look Good Without Getting Hunted Down by Con Staff (uhm...I'm still kind of playing with this idea...)
*Crossplay: From Female to Male (female attendees only)
*Crossplay: From Male to Female (male attendees only)
*Online Cosplay: The Dos and Don'ts of Buying Online
*How to Start a Commissions Business

Plus whatever else fills up time. These are just stuff that I came up with. I want the Cosplay Room to be open and running on the day of the Masquerade and the Fashion Show (they're on the same day, right? If not, then the day of the Masquerade is preferred). I'd like the panels to start running at maybe 10 or 11 AM. There will be no panels run during the time Masquerade participants have a meeting, and the last panel will be run two hours before the Masquerade so that everyone can go to the Masquerade! (And so that the people actually in the Masquerade can go there.)

There will also be no panels run two hours before and during the Fashion Show so that attendees can go see that, too ^__~

A new panel will be run at the start of each hour (meaning the longest one panel can run is one hour).

Tailoring for the Real Body sounds interesting...what is that exactly? Like how to take measurements or something?

I don't really want to separate stuff into too much of the beginner-intermediate-advanced categories since there's plenty of people out there who can do one thing but not the other (i.e. okay at sewing, not good at making patterns - is that beginner or intermediate?). If the panels were just separated into topics, people could go to what they wanted to work on =]

Hey, fullmetalneko, does this mean that my proposal was approved? Can I start looking for tutors for the panels? (I'm not running all of them, per se, but I will be hosting/running a few and basicaly float around making sure everything is running.)

Also, every panel attendee will get a "tutorial sheet" for that specific panel, which the attendee can keep for reference (for example, the Propwork panel would have a list of suggested materials of use, etc.).
Upcoming events:

fullmetalneko

Here is the list so far.

Beginning Cosplay
Advanced Cosplay
Advanced Techniques: Armor Making
Cosplay for the Real Body
Wig Making Techniques
Wing Making Techniques

We don't have any specific Goth Loli construction panels.  But in the Cosplay for the Real Body panel, I believe (from the description I was given.)  It is tailoring as well as the overall planning.  Picking a costume that can be altered to flatter your body.  Then the alteration there of.  

Though the one that id be interested in is the prop one (the one you said you are toying with lol).  If Jason and possibly con-ops might get in on it, it could be a pretty valuable idea.  Let me know!
FanimeCon 2006 - Panels Head
Now Rena's Panel's Slave

hellangel

*Keeping It Con-Safe: How to Look Good Without Getting Hunted Down by Con Staff

this one?

if we can get con-ops staff to hold this one, that would be great. basically an overview of what's allowed and what's not allowed. then we can have cosplayers give tips on how to make stuff and still adhere to those rules
Upcoming events:

RyannBTW

Dude, if there were any way I could help with this panel, I would.  I tend to go into historical research when it comes to clothing.  That's how my InuYasha group got an Honorable Mention at another con...

Seriously though, I'd go to one that covered more than just the "Cosplay 101" stuff that I commonly see.
Find me on Gaia:  Indigo Project

Current projects:
Merciful Goddess (Saiyuki):100%
InuYasha + Tetsusaiga: 100%
SnJ Shikamaru: 75%
Soi Fong (Bleach): 15%