Anyone Making Their Own Armor?

Started by Hired_Blade_Kage, February 03, 2006, 10:10:49 AM

Hired_Blade_Kage

Just curious since I haven't really oked around on people's cosplay tricks...

Who's making they'r own Armor, Plastic, steel, vacuforming, ect.

O.o I was personally going to find a metal shop and have them make the 1/4" Carbon Steel Armor plates I need for meh Cosplay costume.

I lack the proper Metal Working tools and equipment or I would have done it myself.. -.- prolly do it cheaper too...
Is there a reason why you're staring at me as if you want to speak to me?

Chloe

Quote from: "Hired_Blade_Kage"Just curious since I haven't really oked around on people's cosplay tricks...

Who's making they'r own Armor, Plastic, steel, vacuforming, ect.

O.o I was personally going to find a metal shop and have them make the 1/4" Carbon Steel Armor plates I need for meh Cosplay costume.

I lack the proper Metal Working tools and equipment or I would have done it myself.. -.- prolly do it cheaper too...

I have this site here which might help you to what you're looking for.

http://amethyst-angel.com/armormaking_construction.html

I hope it helps you in anyway possible! >wO
Cosplays for '10?  WHO KNOWS!?!

Ska_Kitti

I'd recommend that site too. I'm using that tutorial plus other information from other cosplayers to make a better Alphonse Elric this year. Good luck and ask plenty of questions.
Cosplayer: 03-?
Fanime Staff: 04-?
~*~*~*~*~
Sorawarudesuka Cosplay

Hired_Blade_Kage

XD heh.. thanks I have that down as a cosplay refrence for later.. I meant is anyone making armor for their cosplays?

I need mine outta steel.. and I know how to do it I just don't have the metal working tools I need so i need to take it to an outside source.

Ska_Kitti

It's lighter, convenient and less expensive to make it out of something other than steel, but that is entrely preference. Good luck on crafting though.
Cosplayer: 03-?
Fanime Staff: 04-?
~*~*~*~*~
Sorawarudesuka Cosplay

Hired_Blade_Kage

Quote from: "Ska_Kitti"It's lighter, convenient and less expensive to make it out of something other than steel, but that is entrely preference. Good luck on crafting though.

It will double as normal Armour for me as well.. I have been toying with this steel armour for a while in some sword play and styles I have been toying with...

That and I am paranoid so i wanna make sure that if a random crazy Anime Fan tries ta stab meh its not going through plastic XD

Rette

I'm probably going to be making my armor out of steel or aluminum. Sheet metal really isn't that expensive, it's just really annoying to work with without a fully equipped metal shop.

~ Gaffer Tape is like the Force. There's a Dark Side and a Light Side and it Holds the Universe Together. ~

Member of Three Dollar Laugh Cosplay

Hired_Blade_Kage

Quote from: "Rette"I'm probably going to be making my armor out of steel or aluminum. Sheet metal really isn't that expensive, it's just really annoying to work with without a fully equipped metal shop.

I know... X.x Hell i wish I had a damned Anvil and some smithing hammers.. I could make my own damned armour...

X.x I want to use my Armour for some other stuff so it needs to hold up to a Claymore. Thats why its going to be 1/8"-1/4" Carbon Steel. >.>

O.o by the way Rette, what is your Armor going to look like?

Rette

At the moment my only goal is to make it look good xD
I'm going right off of screen shots from FFVII AC so I'm hoping it'll be accurate, at least.
I'm going to try a few methods, including hammering, but cutting, folding and bond-o to smooth it out will probably work the best.

~ Gaffer Tape is like the Force. There's a Dark Side and a Light Side and it Holds the Universe Together. ~

Hired_Blade_Kage

Quote from: "Rette"At the moment my only goal is to make it look good xD
I'm going right off of screen shots from FFVII AC so I'm hoping it'll be accurate, at least.
I'm going to try a few methods, including hammering, but cutting, folding and bond-o to smooth it out will probably work the best.

Yeah O.o don't forget preliminary sketches and paper models to get the armor to work and wear right O.o will save a lot on sheet metal.

I am making my prototypes from 1/8" posterboard first before I go for a final product..

GOOD LUCK!

z3thman

I'm going to be cosplaying as Red Pyramid head man from the Silent Hill Games. I'd like the helmet/ head covering to be somewhat comfortable, so that I'll be able to wear it around without killing my neck.

Anyone have any ideas of how to secure it to myself to make it not break my head off of my shoulders?

My first idea was to somehow form it off of a face mask of some kind, but I have no idea how I would do that... any help?
You loose general Kenobi.

Sucrose

Hahaha, I'm thinking of doing Pyramid Head too, z3thman. Sarcasm-hime has some notes on her website about making mascot/furry-type heads, and I thought that general idea (without the fluff and stuffing and whatnot) would work all right--using the football helmet and then building and securing the pyramidal headthingy around over that. (I haven't actually tried this, mind, so I don't know how well it would work, but it's an idea.)

Were you planning on making it out of metal? That'd probably be pretty heavy...I was thinking of making mine out of cardboard and trying to paint it convincingly, but I'm not sure at this point. (If my friend and I even go along with our Pyramid Head/Bobble Head pair like we were sort-of planning...)
In mammals, Sucrose is digested in the stomach, into its component sugars, by acidic hydrolysis. The Glucose and Fructose are then absorbed into the bloodstream in the small intestine. (Lactose just isn't cool enough to enter into it.)

z3thman

Thanks for the help, yes I was wanting to use some kind of tin or light metal, but I was thinking I might also use plastic covering(there is a specific type that I want, but I cannot recall the name), and then using hard foam underneath the sheets for the details, and covering them with the plastic covering again as I have seen done before. It would be light enough, and then on the sides ( I was hoping to model the head after the way it looked in the movie purely because of addition of more detail) I would put see-through mesh panel thingys for ventilation, and then maybe for sight pruposes. :P I'd like to use metal, but I'm not really sure how. I think my best idea for the comfort issue would be a football helmet like headcovering, and then saw off the top of the head and other parts somehow.

It's all in it's prototype phase so far, but I should be getting started soon. I'll keep you posted on how it goes once I do.

Jyunishinsho

I have tried so many times in my high school's metal shop.
The only problems about that are:

Showing the blueprints to have them be oked for production.
Making objects while making sure it does not cut your skin.
Have the correct materials to do so (finding how to correctly curve a certain part may be a hassle).
Sometimes the teachers may be like this: buy your own metal.
I was lazy.
I almost killed myself and a friend in the metal shop via high speed sander and sharp metal piece that needed to be sanded.

z3thman

I must agree, that indeed those are factors that would make the costume hard. Luckily I have quite a few friends to help. I just hope I can keep a mindset and not be lazy. As stated that is quite an issue. I would like to get it done before the school year starts up again so I don't have too much else on my hands.

Devi 1313

Wow, I must be one of the few that doesn't want my helmet made of metal! Does anyone know anything about making helmets with paper mache? I need parts of it to be rounded but I also want it to be sturdy. Also any tips on making hidden eyeholes?
Fanime 2023:
Wario
Eda Clawthorne Season 1 & 2
Reagan Ridley

https://www.facebook.com/Devi1313

Rette

Paper Mache is pretty strong, if you use enough of it. To get the rounded shape, use a balloon.

Asa_Gohan

hm...so then that would be a good place to have my kanti cosplay made. How much would it cost then? or how much do you guys think it would cost approximitly

This sig isnt true anymore...I have to wait for a bit...

Miss Juliette

I'm making armor this year. Not...traditional armon persay, but armor none the less. Devil Jin from Tekken 5 has gauntlets and shin guards (if doing the customized version) and I'll be making them from fiberglass and liquid latex.

Essentially, the fiberglass provides a sturdy base for the armor, and the latex gives it a more finished and real-looking feel. I've made armor for YEARS, including at rennaisance faires, so if you need any help with steel work (or anything in general) feel free to email me. {egyptianvodka -at- gmail . com}