Backpacks/carrying stuff

Started by swordman85, February 20, 2006, 09:38:21 PM

swordman85

Hey everyone,

I've heard that people carry food, drink, etc in backpacks at cons.  Personally I think this may get a little unweildy and annoying and I was curious if there was some kinda room you could set your stuff in and go get it when you need it and not run the risk of getting stuff stolen.  Thanks alot.

Blues

According to stories I've heard from various incidents, if you want to make sure your stuff is safe, never let it leave your sight.  Even if there was some sort of designated area for putting stuff (which I'm almost positive there isn't for liability's sake), personally, I still wouldn't trust it.

If you do the backpack thing, just pack what you think you'll need for that day, or maybe make a run back to your hotel room for mid-day restockings.

"Do a flip!"

Tuplica

Yeah, pretty much your best bet is leaving stuff at your room and bringing it later.  Actually, the only people I've ever known to bring backpacks do it if their room is far away (like not attached or near the con center).  Personally, I just go back to my room and only carry a mini-backpack or something with me for necessities, like my badge and ID and wallet.  A lot of the convention occurs in the Marriot and the walk to the Hilton isn't that far, no matter where you are in the center.
Attending Fanime since 2002, having panic attacks and editing marathons since 2003.

Barnes

I also like to use the bags that Fanime provides for you (I especially like that one bag from 2003.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

britedarkness

I suggest you only bring a backpack if you don't have a camera bag, or you know you'll buy tons of tiny things from the dealers.  A mini-backpack would also be a good idea.  Otherwise, it really is a better idea to just drop stuff back off in your room if it's nearby.  Cons are full of "there's nothing to do right now, so I'll head back to my room and drop stuff off" time.

sykoeent

I know that VIZ gives out these canvas bags at comi-con, do they do that here? How about fanny packs? HUH?!?!?!?! heheheh

Eri

bringing a backpack with you carrying stuff (ie, food, water, something to keep you busy if you're waiting, etc) is always good. I'm running around the con all the time so I never get a chance to go back to my room most of the time.

but, it can be annoying if you're cosplaying.. I had to leave my backpack behind when I was wearing a kimono...
Erica V.
On vacation for 2008

alice

the trick is, making friends with someone at an art row, and bumming of their space :).

I think for this fanime, I'm just gonna bring around a rolling backpack and say I'm cosplaying as yomiko readman or something (when in reality I'm just lazy).

grove

Quote from: "alice"the trick is, making friends with someone at an art row, and bumming of their space :).

That's what I do.
The chicka with the kick.

otakuya

The ultimate locker during any conventon: your hotel room.

Tuplica

I keep forgetting my code, though... *tries sticking a credit card into the keycard slot*
Attending Fanime since 2002, having panic attacks and editing marathons since 2003.

otakuya

Quote from: "Tuplica"I keep forgetting my code, though... *tries sticking a credit card into the keycard slot*
How can you forget a card code? All you do is slide the card through the doorknob. If you forgot your room number, then that's a different story...

Tuplica

It was a joke...  locker... forgetting one's code... typical incident during middle and high school years... ha ha, rim shot, etc.   :?

Nezumi

*does happy dance of doom* this is why i got a room IN the marriot! MWAHAHAHAHAHA it'll take me three minutes to run anything back to my room. hehehehehe
it's better then breakfast!

Absolute0

Quote from: "Tuplica"It was a joke...  locker... forgetting one's code... typical incident during middle and high school years... ha ha, rim shot, etc.   :?

Don't worry. The people on this board just can't realize your comic brilliance and genius.

Tuplica

Quote from: "Absolute0"
Quote from: "Tuplica"It was a joke...  locker... forgetting one's code... typical incident during middle and high school years... ha ha, rim shot, etc.   :?

Don't worry. The people on this board just can't realize your comic brilliance and genius.

It's hard, being brilliant.

:lol:

otakuya

For some programming rooms, can/will there be bag check-ins at the door?
JTAF 05 did that for the gaming room and it seemed to work well. I didn't have to worry about my backpack while playing. I also left my bag there while I wandered the rest of the con.

FanFicGuru

Quote from: "Otakuya"For some programming rooms, can/will there be bag check-ins at the door?
JTAF 05 did that for the gaming room and it seemed to work well. I didn't have to worry about my backpack while playing. I also left my bag there while I wandered the rest of the con.

lawl you were at JTAF 05 too? Too bad it was so unorganized.

As for me I"m just gonna leave my stuff in my room. ^_^
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Suspicious

Artist Alley friends make perfect temporary mini hotel rooms :3  I even slept underneath the table once.

You pay rent in buying their art.
»Jrock Con »LJ »MySpace »Website

YoureMyHiro

I might have a back pack or a side bag along with me for some of the day during con, it will only have essentials, i.e. snacks and dealers room stuff, possibly miscelleneous stuff Ive acquired throughout that backpack wearing period of the day. I like the feeling of freedom, this year Ill probably rock a temporary wallet with a chain. Im always so afraid of losing or misplacing my wallet, tis a man's core.