Reasonably Priced Places to Eat near Fanime Con

Started by Tsuchimi Rin-chan, April 04, 2006, 02:52:14 PM

topnotch97

oh yeah, that new shopping center right behind the san jose arena. i think that place has some, i guess. since it opened like a month ago.

but for more decent grub, i suggest head towards Stevens Creek, where Valley Fair and Santana Row. well it is also good if it's far enough or away from the con.  :wink:
Retired from Fanime.
Thinking of coming back. :D

Eri

Quote from: "Sunara Ishi"
You have to realize you're looking at two different types of restaurants; fast food and traditional style restaurants. Of course the fast food will be cheaper and colleges are more likely to have a fast food restaurant. In fact I've never seen a college with the other. It'll be amusing to see. XD

Hm.. Davis has the (student run) Coffee House. Not exactly sit down, but damn the food is good... for college students! :shock:

Cal Poly SLO actually as a sitdown restuarant, as well as Diablo Valley College in Pleasant Hill..

Anyways, Lee's gets the fourth vote. A couple of their sandwiches have saved me from starvation during them incredibly long staff meetings ^_^
Erica V.
On vacation for 2008

Sunara Ishi

Quote from: "Eri"
You have to realize you're looking at two different types of restaurants; fast food and traditional style restaurants. Of course the fast food will be cheaper and colleges are more likely to have a fast food restaurant. In fact I've never seen a college with the other. It'll be amusing to see. XD

Hm.. Davis has the (student run) Coffee House. Not exactly sit down, but damn the food is good... for college students! :shock:

Cal Poly SLO actually as a sitdown restuarant, as well as Diablo Valley College in Pleasant Hill..

Anyways, Lee's gets the fourth vote. A couple of their sandwiches have saved me from starvation during them incredibly long staff meetings ^_^
I meant a traditional, expensive-type restaurant or is that one? O.o?
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

Eri

I meant a traditional, expensive-type restaurant or is that one? O.o?

Hm.. i don't know. I never went in either of them. It was weird enough already at that point...   :lol:
Erica V.
On vacation for 2008

topnotch97

Quote from: "Eri"Anyways, Lee's gets the fourth vote. A couple of their sandwiches have saved me from starvation during them incredibly long staff meetings ^_^

those sandwhiches saved me also from starvation like last year's con. i guess it happens when working long hours as staff.  :wink:

maybe we should petition Lee's sandwihces to open on later nights during the con.  :idea:
Retired from Fanime.
Thinking of coming back. :D

asianfilm

Quote from: "Sunara Ishi"And that pizza restaurant nearby there. (anyone remember the name?)

Pizza My Heart.
Brandon Tomyoy
Manager, Fanime Asian Film
Stage Zero Personality

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "asianfilm"
Quote from: "Sunara Ishi"And that pizza restaurant nearby there. (anyone remember the name?)

Pizza My Heart.

Pizza My Heart is goooood.

And if that wasn't enough, there's a Ben & Jerry's next door. >w<
epic progressive

vox

Sunara Ishi

Pizza My Heart.
read the whole thing. I said the pizza restaurant near Tapoica express.
That's the other side of campus.
Oh, let's not forget Tapioca Express on the other side of State. And that pizza restaurant nearby there. (anyone remember the name?)
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

Long

E&O Trading was extremely good. The atmosphere was great too. Although it's very expensive, but the perfect way to spend an evening dinner.

Captaine Kit

You should ask SJSU students.  I discourage going to any pearl tea place for an actual meal.  They are expensive and sub-par.  Also, explore more of Downtown.  Get some color in yer blood.

I recommend everything on the menu at Hally K. Ono.  It's a cute sit-in with a Pacific Islander fusion cuisine.  Seriously, everything on the menu is bomb from the ciabatta sandwiches to the chicken wings.  Reasonably priced if you want a quaint, laxed atmosphere.

There is Good Karma vegan food on Santa Clara and 8th, which is a ways off.  I know there's vegans out there in anime land.  Even if you aren't a strictly vegan eater, you will be satisfied with the texture and taste of their 'meat' dishes.

Most importantly, check out Vietnamese food and Salvadorean food.  Remember during the con that you're in San Jose, and some of you have come from long and far to be here.  Might as well expand the horizons of your palate.

Tengu is shady.  Goodness, gracious, don't any of you talk to SJSU students who have to put up with this stuff?
FanimeCon Presents: Antagonite Fashion

otakuya

Pizza My Heart.
read the whole thing. I said the pizza restaurant near Tapoica express.
That's the other side of campus.
Oh, let's not forget Tapioca Express on the other side of State. And that pizza restaurant nearby there. (anyone remember the name?)

That's San Carlos Pizza. From the CC, you have to walk through SJSU campus.

gmontem

Hey Captaine Kit, would you happen to know the names of the establishments that either serve Vietnamese or Salvodorean food?
Fanimafia Avatar of the Week #15: Barnes
The Fanimafia Gallery (2002-3, 7)

i feel so loved!

neko ewen

Trying to think of stuff no one's listed.

Lee's is good; it's on 7th street by the Albertson's, and there's a Tung Kee (noodle place) right next to it.

I highly recommend giving Hydration a try; the bentos are definitely a cut above the typical pearl milk tea place IMHO.

Down 3rd street (towards the convention center IIRC) is another vietnamese sandwich place called Da Kao that also has a sit-down restaurant section with Pho and other good stuff. The staff always seem kind of irritated at the customers, but the food is good and the sandwiches are very cheap.

There's a decent Japanese place called Smile Sushi on second street, a few blocks up from the main library. Their lunch combos are about $8-10.

There's a Quizno's on 2nd street by Starbucks and the Repertory Theater, and next to it a pita place and "Lollicup" (a pearl milk tea type place that has Hawaiian-style bentos) though I haven't tried either of those yet).
Yaruki Zero Games | Ask me about Maid RPG
"I dream heavy metal but I live whiny punk rock."

Tsuchimi Rin-chan

Its been a while since I checked my posted thread.

Anyway I would like to ask you guys in San Jose, if there are any places open after hours say 9pm on up.

Say that a Late Evening Musicfest or Der Cosplay is either finished or ongoing and you decided to give up and retreat to someplace to eat.

Any good restaurants that are safe to go with friends you guys can recommend to the Fanime Attendees and Mal Nourished  Staffer's

Thanks and Menchi is not an Option.

](*,)
Jason Nagal Estioko
Fanime Con Attendee from 1998 to current 2011. (12 years and counting!) Fanime Con 2006 E-Gaming Department Staffer
Animation on Display (San Francisco's Animation Convention) Video Game Staffer since 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011.

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "Tsuchimi Rin-chan"

](*,)

...Damn. :(

There's Original Joe's, but I dunno where that is, exactly -- and, of course, Denny's, the mainstay of midnight mealmakers.
epic progressive

vox

Mordyan

Quote from: "Spiritsnare"
Quote from: "Tsuchimi Rin-chan"

](*,)

...Damn. :(

There's Original Joe's, but I dunno where that is, exactly -- and, of course, Denny's, the mainstay of midnight mealmakers.

Original Joes is right next to the St Claire so less than a block from the convention center, but it is not cheap. Though their food is awesome!

otakuya

Quote from: "neko ewen"Lee's is good; it's on 7th street by the Albertson's, and there's a Tung Kee (noodle place) right next to it.
There's no more Albertson's there. It's going to be a "Super Mercado" mexican supermarket.

As for after hours places to eat, there's always those boba places: Tapioca Express, Hydration, Quickly, Q-Cup, etc... they're almost always open till midnight or later. Pizza My Heart is also open till midnight, I think.

There's also an International House of Pancakes (a FanimeCon board favorite) if you take the light rail about 4 stops north (Japantown/Ayer station). There's also a Denny's south on Market Street, but you'd need a car to get there. [I'd hate to say this, but that Denny's is near a certain famous Wendy's restaurant....]

Pimpstress Rei

Hello chil'rens!

My minions and I are finishing the program guide as we speak and we thought 'hey, what could we do to get the members to love us?'.

So we decided to include a food map of the cheap eateries around the convention center in the program guide! It lists prices for some of the eateries, but the names alone from the other non-priced places give you an idea of how much they will be, so we hope that this helps!

Enjoy the con, and I hope you like the program guide! It's going to be PRETTY (the guide, not the con...well maybe the con, but that sounds weird o.O )!

~M~
Marie F.
Vice-Chair 2009-2011
Assistant Director of Marketing 2008
Publications Manager 2006, 2007
Con Mom forever o.O

FanFicGuru

Quote from: "Pimpstress Rei"Hello chil'rens!

My minions and I are finishing the program guide as we speak and we thought 'hey, what could we do to get the members to love us?'.

So we decided to include a food map of the cheap eateries around the convention center in the program guide! It lists prices for some of the eateries, but the names alone from the other non-priced places give you an idea of how much they will be, so we hope that this helps!

Enjoy the con, and I hope you like the program guide! It's going to be PRETTY (the guide, not the con...well maybe the con, but that sounds weird o.O )!

~M~

WE LOVE YOU!!!!! *bow, worship*
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

zoupzuop2

Ah! Tung Kee! I remember going there with my family when we lived in Mountain View!

Good times, good times... I might go there for nostalgia's sake.
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.