Airsoft or Laser-Tag Events?

Started by ~~Loktera~~, April 16, 2006, 01:53:50 PM

~~Loktera~~

Hmm... Airsoft.

I suggest some sort of Airsoft type of event during the convention.

Maybe on the roof of one of the hotels, or in one of the larger convention halls. That would be pretty cool.

Besides, you can almost picture it... STARS vs The Hellsing Organization.
It all really depends how well the lies are told...

ININ

I have a few airsoft weapons.  I never had time to skirmish :(  Too busy with other stuff.

Probably not going to happen since the weapons are too realistic, legal circumstances, and someone has to clean up the BBs -__-

the_Pink_Panther24

Loktera,
you are a genius.

I support this idea, 100%. i can FINALLy use my dragunov.

Absolute0

Airsoft in cosplay.

In anime-themed environments. (Probably too expensive...)

But the first one still stands.

~~Loktera~~

Quote from: "ININ"I have a few airsoft weapons.  I never had time to skirmish :(  Too busy with other stuff.
[zoom]
Probably not going to happen since the weapons are too realistic, legal circumstances, and someone has to clean up the BBs -__-
[/zoom]

Legal Circumstances can be avoided with waivers and ID checks. I can see the problem with the realistic gun issues though.

Well... It seemed like a great idea when I thought it up... The devil is in the details...

The-O

Would also need people to moderate the airsoft fights.
The-O Network Online Executive Editor
Con Reports, Photos, News, Interviews, Reviews, and more!
www.t-ono.net

the_Pink_Panther24

If we had a designated area to do it, and carried the guns in cases when not in that area, AND had orange tips (grumble...) it doesn't seems TOO unfeasable.

additionally, we can get other people to join as well if anyone has any extra guns. ive got a couple TMPS some peeps could use.

Blues

I've been itching to get back at it with my airsofts.  I'm in, but there's one issue with me; my guns never had the orage tips.  Would that ban me from the games?

ALL I WANT TO DO IS SHOOT PEOPLE! :(

"Do a flip!"

Nanashi

I doubt they'd let us do something like that...but you never know. And, if they did, then I'd be able to put my MGS2 ZOE box cosplay to good use.
Co-Captain/"The one who talks too much" of MANime!
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,17203.0.html

~~Loktera~~

Quote from: "Blues"I've been itching to get back at it with my airsofts.  I'm in, but there's one issue with me; my guns never had the orage tips.  Would that ban me from the games?

ALL I WANT TO DO IS SHOOT PEOPLE! :(

I think you might be able to get an orange tip put on them. I am not sure. I'll have to check for that. If worse comes to worse you can probably take the gun down to Airsoft Extreme and have them put one on there for you, if they do that sort of thing.

Arconna

Well, while I like the idea of it, I just don't know how it would work.  How would you manage it on a roof at the con? (on a hotel or something)...what if the BB's go off the roof and hit someone below or something.  But, I dunno, maybe having a paintball/airsoft game going nearby in a field or something with whatever permits are needed to do it, that would be cool.  My friend would have loved to play paintball.  I just don't know about doing it in downtown San Jose without some sort of enclosed area.

Good idea, just looks like a hastle to try to get off the ground I think at the convention itself.  Elsewhere in the are, *shrugs*

Do they have a paintball field nearby?  Maybe for 07 someone could pool resources form people who want to play and rent out the field for the weekend.  I know you guys want to maybe cosplay (and my understanding is paintball paint is water soluble, but still), but who knows, getting a bunch of people together for a big paintball fest would be awesome.
Arconna
-------------------------------------------------------
My Blog Novel!

~~Loktera~~

After doing a big post-con recon of the general area around the convention center, I noticed a big blue tent-like structure off to one side of the con.

I've been in there before during the SJ International Auto Show, and it looks like it could possibly be a location for something like... I don't know... A small airsoft arena?

I could talk to a few people and see just the general issues that would arrise.

Maybe keep the place open during the daylight hours and during lunch-time, to clean up the bb's.

I know that there are Biodeagradable BB's that should make disposal much easier than normal plastic ammo, so if we mandate the type of ammo used at the door, w/ standard field pricing, then I think something might be able to be worked out.

Yes, orange tips would have to be in place, guns will have to be carried in a bag or the box it came in, and you will have to wear full face protection.

I am sure that if I am able to contact a few people that I might be able to get someone from an actual field out to help with this.

Also, did anyone else notice the amazing amount of Airsoft guns in the dealers room?
Almost made me kinda sad that we couldn't have picked them up to test their weight and comfort, I would have almost bought that damn FAMAS-SV... *sigh*

Glitch

This is starting to sound interesting.I wouldn't taking my gun and busting a cap in some butts while dressed as tuxedo mask. ^^

Arconna

I saw them, but I'm more into paintball than airsoft.  However, I'm sure if this thing happens, my friend might give it a shot.

How much are airsoft guns?
Arconna
-------------------------------------------------------
My Blog Novel!

Ikari

How would the event handle issuing proper face/ear/eye protection?
Who would mark out safe areas?
What would be the rules of engagement, including FPS restrictions based on distance?
Who would insure the event against injuries, property damage, and/or death?
Etc, etc.

Lots of variables to consider. Interesting idea, but just be very careful about it.
You can turn your back on a person, but, never turn your back on an otaku. Especially when it's waving a razor-sharp pocky stick in your eye.
F'nOtaku - Celebrating 100 Years Of Annoying Fans

Leishu

An alternate take to this, if I may offer one, may be to revive Fanime laser tag. It's both less expensive, less realistic, and less possibly painful.

It happened at Fanime up until the first year in Santa Clara (non-inclusive) as 'Frazer Tag' but the gent who was running it was a tidbit unreliable. Perhaps we should guage again the possibility of doing a Fanime laser tag room. :D
Kabe ni kono Nyuuji wo tsukete mite kudasai.

~~Loktera~~

Quote from: "Leishu"An alternate take to this, if I may offer one, may be to revive Fanime laser tag. It's both less expensive, less realistic, and less possibly painful.

It happened at Fanime up until the first year in Santa Clara (non-inclusive) as 'Frazer Tag' but the gent who was running it was a tidbit unreliable. Perhaps we should guage again the possibility of doing a Fanime laser tag room. :D

You know what? I almost completely forgot about that. If we could get that back, that would be freekin' awesome.

ININ

Just for fun, a while back, I took a few of my airsoft guns and fired at a screen shot of my company’s new database logo at home.  A few know I started my collection in 2002, but never skirmished because I didn’t have the time.  The database was released in February without beta testing.  Currently, we are at revision number 26.

zoupzuop2

Quote from: "Leishu"An alternate take to this, if I may offer one, may be to revive Fanime laser tag. It's both less expensive, less realistic, and less possibly painful.

Ooh! Ooh! Or, we could all check out the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk's Laser Tag! I'm guessing that a large percent of you are San Jose native, so I know it's just one/two bus rides down from SJ, or a modest drive over the hill. (And the laser tag's worth it too... not counting the GIANT arcade surrounding it...)

Please? (It'd be a way for me to get to know you all better, easier!)
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

VictimX

Lazer Tag sounds a whole lot easier to do, but as a heads up there is a paintball field down the street onto Montague and a couple of airsoft fields further down Montague.