... The hell is going on?

Started by PogiChoie, April 29, 2006, 03:20:43 AM

PogiChoie

Was it just me, or did last year's dealer's room seem a bit lackluster?

To me, last year's dealer's room didn't seem to have anything that jumped out and screamed "BUY ME DAMN YOU!".  I got that same feeling too the year before that, and I don't know why.  I had the money, but nothing seemed worth buying.

I suppose I didn't want to spend my money on something I didn't need or terribly want... that damn "Need or Want" rule sort of reasoned out any halfassed purchases I was thinking of making.

Or perhaps the selection of the dealers themseleves were too generic.  It seemed like everybody had almost the exact same stuff, at close to the exact price, and nobody had any rare lewt that was worth... er, rather reasonable at the price it was being offered at.

Or perhaps, and I certainly don't want this to be the case, I'm getting old?  I may be 20, but I'm not the spry energetic otaku I used to be... hell, I don't even like the term otaku anymore, because I feel like I've grown out of that phase.  I still like anime, but not to the point where I get fanatic or lose logical thought like some of my other anime brethren.

... I dunno.  Watching Naruto during the tail end of the Chuunin Exam arc is making me nostalgic.

Spiritsnare

You know, it depends on the series you're targetting. For example, every dealer's going to have at least some Naruto in them (lest they lose potential other sales to their competitors), but there were only two, maybe three sellers selling AIR stuff, which was quite limited in supply and limited in selection.

So, I suppose it has to do with popularity.

(ps. you think you're old? XDDD)

edit Also, shouldn't this be a better topic in the Dealer's Hall forum?
epic progressive

vox

serajwl

Yeah... Kinda happened to me last year. Nothing grabbed me.

But then again, this year I widened my taste in videogames and anime, so I'll be much more open to buying different anime/videogame merchendise.

And sometimes, you gotta search a little. That perfect product is in there somewhere :3

Plus, J-list is coming this year, so I bet you'll find something cool with them.

G.I.R

The sad truth is, going to shows like Fanime, AX, SDCC, etc, can be hit and miss every year.  Last year at Fanime, I didn't find anything in the way of import DVD's or video games, but I did find lots of manga I was looking for.  It's not that there wasn't a lot of stuff in the dealers room, just not all I was looking for.  But in other years, it was just the opposite.

Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw.

topnotch97

i dunno.... i guess....

coz i know i buy more stuff during WonderCon and/or Comic-Con than FanimeCon and/or AnimeExpo.

that's weird.
:roll:
Retired from Fanime.
Thinking of coming back. :D

Vanessa

Well I'm excited because the jlist will be in the dealers room this year. O_O

zoupzuop2

That 82 year old cosplaying lady wins at life. Or whatever's left of it.
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

Nina Star 9

i am dissapointed int eh lack of amano CDs. :/ not tha ti expect any, but still. :/ most of the CD selection was the really popular stuff. i coudl barely find anything that intresed me. :/

i fel the same. but then again, i am not a huge anime fan, so~ <3

Haruka

I was VERY disappointed by the complete lack of Japanese language manga.  I can get English language manga at Barnes & Noble FCOL, I don't need to drive 3 hours to get it an at anime convention.
Join me at Ani-Jam 2011 in Fresno, CA.  August 20-21

Tsuchimi Rin-chan

I would rather find anime related merchandise based on non mainstream anime licenses.

Since The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is one the most recent anime to come out in Japan, I am trying to eye a dealer that is willing to Import.  (Like the artbook or manga based from the Haruhi series)

Sadly these days, American Anime Dealers would rather skip importing and purchase domestic anime goods due to licensing and popularity.  Just to get a quick profit and sales.  (Sad huh?)

The easy to find stuff I can get any day, but:

Its not everyday I can find that hard to find Unlicensed Anime Artbook, soundtrack or cell phone strap (for example) these days.

I wish Fanime would do more research in inviting over some dealers that have the initiative to import these recent anime goods.

I would die if I can get a Pero Pero Plushie by Kare Kano and that Item is hard to find.

[-o<
Jason Nagal Estioko
Fanime Con Attendee from 1998 to current 2011. (12 years and counting!) Fanime Con 2006 E-Gaming Department Staffer
Animation on Display (San Francisco's Animation Convention) Video Game Staffer since 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011.

Tuplica

J-list is coming, huh?  Are we talking the -13 j-list, or the 18+ pron-infested j-list?   :P
Attending Fanime since 2002, having panic attacks and editing marathons since 2003.

Punkre

Heh yea, im not really big on the dealers room personally, (well not as big as some that stay in the dealers room the whole convention.) i agree that to me the dealers room looks pretty much the same every year, alot of DvDs/Mangas all generally the same titles at each Dealer with the same prices. Last year the new Battle Angel Alita mangas came out which ended up being the only things i bought.
Ta make a long story short most of the dealers charge the same amount of money for the same stuff every year, the only diffrence seems to be what comes out each year.
Anime>Video Games>Real Life

Why do i fall in lov with every girl that pays the littlest bit of attention to me?

zoupzuop2

Quote from: "Tuplica"J-list is coming, huh?  Are we talking the -13 j-list, or the 18+ pron-infested j-list?   :P
Come along now. We ALL know it's spelled "pr0n".
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

Shinsengumi

Hopefully they have import Video Games and DVD's for this year.
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

~~Loktera~~

Quote from: "Tuplica"J-list is coming, huh?  Are we talking the -13 j-list, or the 18+ pron-infested j-list?   :P

Hopefully the latter... I promised my friend I'd buy her something... special...  You know... like a shoulder massager...
It all really depends how well the lies are told...

Tuplica

Quote from: "zoupzuop2"
Come along now. We ALL know it's spelled "pr0n".

*SHAMED*

*weeps*

:lol:
Attending Fanime since 2002, having panic attacks and editing marathons since 2003.

protocol7

Quote from: "~~Loktera~~"

Hopefully the latter... I promised my friend I'd buy her something... special...  You know... like a shoulder massager...

Of the Hello Kity variety?
FanimeCons resident zombie.
*I* MADE this happen!

serajwl

I have no idea. But if you look on the dealer list on the main page http://www.fanime.com/dealers/ you'll know who's coming

Charming_Dorian

Quote from: "protocol7"
Quote from: "~~Loktera~~"

Of the Hello Kity variety?
i heard those things weren't very powerful