So, how are the Tower rooms at the Hilton?

Started by madmanlotar, June 01, 2006, 10:50:21 PM

madmanlotar

I would like to know if the tower rooms are worth it.  My friends and I did not get one this year but are considering one for next year.  What type of amenities do they offer?  Did anyone say in one of those rooms?

Tuplica

From everything I've read and asked the Hilton staff themselves, the tower rooms are completely identical to the standard rooms with the exception that you have exclusive access to the levels (cardkey entry) and that there's some sort of lounge area that has food and stuff at certain times of day, for free.

I wish the Hilton had suites like the Mariott.  I'd like to stay in a suite, but I'm not willing to deal with the massive elevator wait-time at the Mariott..   :?
Attending Fanime since 2002, having panic attacks and editing marathons since 2003.

madmanlotar

What kind of suites does the Mariott have?

BlackDelo

the suites at the marriott come with chocolate!
www.myspace.com/bigfatiori

"You know, AX gives you cancer."

Tuplica

Apparently they also come with a sleepersofa, or something like that.  Kingsize bed, sleepersofa, more space.

Blast, why doesn't the hilton have suites? T_T
Attending Fanime since 2002, having panic attacks and editing marathons since 2003.

steveckl

For what it's worth, the Hilton does have suites... =)
Reg Staff Lackey

Nina Star 9

i stayed int eh tower rooms.

i pretty much lived off of the food i took out of the breakfast bar throughout the day. i also think we still ahve some cans of cranberry juice from the bar laying around here somewhere... XD

how bad was the wait at the marriott this year? i think ti was pretty bad at the hilton, but probably nothing in comparison... o-o

another good thing about the tower rooms is that you pretty much get an elevator to yourself when you enter to leave your room, which is good if you have a costume that does not take well to crowded spaces and you need that room. however, it takes a while to get an elevator up to your room, as fewer people go up there. >>

madmanlotar

Quote from: "Nina Star 9"i stayed int eh tower rooms.

i pretty much lived off of the food i took out of the breakfast bar throughout the day. i also think we still ahve some cans of cranberry juice from the bar laying around here somewhere... XD

how bad was the wait at the marriott this year? i think ti was pretty bad at the hilton, but probably nothing in comparison... o-o

another good thing about the tower rooms is that you pretty much get an elevator to yourself when you enter to leave your room, which is good if you have a costume that does not take well to crowded spaces and you need that room. however, it takes a while to get an elevator up to your room, as fewer people go up there. >>
You are on my topic of inquiry.  Is the breakfast a buffet?  What is the duration of breakfast?  What is the duration of any other meal they serve if they do have other meals?

Tuplica

Quote from: "steveckl"For what it's worth, the Hilton does have suites... =)

Really?

...Ok, rephrase of lament...

Oh, if only we could get reduced rates on the suites at the Hilton!  :cry:

Tony

Quote from: "madmanlotar"You are on my topic of inquiry.  Is the breakfast a buffet?  What is the duration of breakfast?  What is the duration of any other meal they serve if they do have other meals?
You could call up the Hilton...  :wink:

Many of the Hilton suites are taken by Fanime, so in general it's not easy to get one. I was lucky enough to share one this year, and I made a few trips up. It's a small room with a great view. They offer a simple continental style breakfast - juice, coffee, fruit, eggs, pastries, etc - in a buffet style during the morning. It's only open a few hours, 6-9am I think. During the day, they offer drinks and snacks. At night, they put out dessert and offer alcoholic drinks (which are not free).

It's a nice perk, but you're probably better off hitting up costco for pastries and bottles of juice.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Tuplica

Huh.  Sounds nice, Tony.  Though a question if you don't mind... when you say it was a small room... would you say it was the same as the standard ones?

PassingTheBuck

Quote from: "Tony"
Quote from: "madmanlotar"You are on my topic of inquiry.  Is the breakfast a buffet?  What is the duration of breakfast?  What is the duration of any other meal they serve if they do have other meals?
You could call up the Hilton...  :wink:

Many of the Hilton suites are taken by Fanime, so in general it's not easy to get one. I was lucky enough to share one this year, and I made a few trips up. It's a small room with a great view. They offer a simple continental style breakfast - juice, coffee, fruit, eggs, pastries, etc - in a buffet style during the morning. It's only open a few hours, 6-9am I think. During the day, they offer drinks and snacks. At night, they put out dessert and offer alcoholic drinks (which are not free).

It's a nice perk, but you're probably better off hitting up costco for pastries and bottles of juice.

Tony forgot to mention that they have eggs, bacon and sausages, with toast, bagels, cream cheese, a nice fast toaster in the mornings, afternoon tea and in the evenings, desserts, lots of desserts...  Like I had the time to use any of it, normally it was grab something and get back down on the convention floor.

Craige...
Craige Howlett
Finance Director
FanimeCon/Clockwork
2003-2016

madmanlotar

Getting a tower room is no problem, especially since I usually reserve the room at least two months in advance.  When I reserved earlier in the year there were quite a few tower rooms still open.
 I plan everything ahead and I am gathering information for next year's trip so that when FanimeCon approaches I merely have to check off a list instead of scramble like a chicken with it's head cut off.  
 I figure asking questions about a room and the food is better here, as asking attendees is will get me less biased results than a phone operator whose job it is to sell me the room rental.
 I am considering the tower rooms and asking about the quantities and qualities of food because space is always an issue in the car we drive; we had five in the car this year.  In order to consider the logistical implications of our trip and be able to plan our group budget, so we have more pocket money for the trip, I ask these questions so that we can improve our budget for the coming year and maybe any future road trips we may have.  
  Thanks for all the info everyone!!  I hope to see everyone next year and hopefully I have enough money this year to cosplay, I want to buy a King Bowser suit.

Nina Star 9

it is best to get there early, though, as by the end of the times, everythign is gone.

plus, everything can be taken with you, which is a great perk. i smuggle dout so much food for later. :P

lying is an art form

How much would a tower room cost? I'm considering getting one for next year =D
Do you like Magic: the Gathering or just fun games in general? I'm offering a fun way to play Magic right here! I'm bringing these to Fanime 2009 :) PM me to secure one!

madmanlotar

Quote from: "Itachi no Jutsu"How much would a tower room cost? I'm considering getting one for next year =D
$139 dollars a night before taxes.

Tony

Quote from: "PassingTheBuck"Tony forgot to mention that they have eggs, bacon and sausages, with toast, bagels, cream cheese, a nice fast toaster in the mornings, afternoon tea and in the evenings, desserts, lots of desserts...
Hey, shhh....! The more you tell them about the free food... the less there will be for us!!
Retired.
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Father, 2014

Pimpstress Rei

Yea, Craige, shhh!

The tower rooms are really worth it if you're the head of a department and you need to have meetings throughout the day. Otherwise, it isn't really that big of a deal.

The rooms are spacious and have lots of places where people can crash: one king-sized bed, a fold out Murphey that's around the same size, and you can request a rollaway. So you can confortably fit 5 people in the room. In addition to the comfortable room, you get a pretty nice bathroom with two sinks and a conference room with a huge table and couch-style chairs.

Personally, I'm going to request a suite so that my department will be able to sit in a comfortable room, and not in the Publications room in the boonies, when they work on the newsletter, schedules, etc.

If you're going to be at the con the entire weekend, and not spending much time in the room, the tower rooms aren't really worth it. I'd suggest getting a regular room if you just need a place to sleep. But if you want a really comfy place to sleep and you're going to lounge about during the day, then the tower rooms are totally worth it.

Mmm toasted bagels with cream cheese in the morning...
Marie F.
Vice-Chair 2009-2011
Assistant Director of Marketing 2008
Publications Manager 2006, 2007
Con Mom forever o.O

Tuplica

Quote from: "Pimpstress Rei"Yea, Craige, shhh!

The tower rooms are really worth it if you're the head of a department and you need to have meetings throughout the day. Otherwise, it isn't really that big of a deal.

The rooms are spacious and have lots of places where people can crash: one king-sized bed, a fold out Murphey that's around the same size, and you can request a rollaway. So you can confortably fit 5 people in the room. In addition to the comfortable room, you get a pretty nice bathroom with two sinks and a conference room with a huge table and couch-style chairs.

Personally, I'm going to request a suite so that my department will be able to sit in a comfortable room, and not in the Publications room in the boonies, when they work on the newsletter, schedules, etc.

Soo... you are describing the tower rooms in the second paragraph, not the suites, right?  Sounds better than I'd hear originally (actually, all I saw were pictures.)

Tony

Hmm, no - she was describing the suite. I doubt the tower rooms, for that price, have all of that...
Retired.
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Father, 2014