Signs policy?

Started by otakuya, June 06, 2006, 12:09:19 PM

otakuya

Should there be a sign policy for all con goers? A sign is not a cosplay, unless the character holds a sign in the actual anime (a la Ranma's dad as a panda).

Shinigami

No. If we take away people's signs, they'll just shout and try to bring more attention to themselves by being more annoying.

fullmetalneko

Shinigami has a point.   The sign fad is starting to wane (I saw not even a fraction as many this year as last year) so let it run its course.
like everything else it will get old and people will forget.
FanimeCon 2006 - Panels Head
Now Rena's Panel's Slave

otakuya

ChenCzen

or that horrible and thankfully short lived 'flex'.
Except for ending communism, slavery, nazism, and fascism, WAR HAS NEVER SOLVED ANYTHING!!

gmontem

And of unfortunately there are fads that never seem to go away, like Fanboy Funk. >.<
Fanimafia Avatar of the Week #15: Barnes
The Fanimafia Gallery (2002-3, 7)

i feel so loved!

pockystix

More like a plague than any fad. >.>;

Maybe Rovers can be on the lookout for any unapproriate signs or signs that contain profanity [at least during the time where there maybe younger atendees]. That's more of a courtesy/common sense thing, but some people don't comprehend as much as others.
New sn = Meirin

Tony

I agree... there isn't a reason to go out and set up an iron-clad policy, because a) it's not really a problem, and b) we can kick memebrs out for any number of reasons, not the least of which is "carrying inappropriate signs." Writing it out would only encourage people to break the rule or waste time weaseling around it.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Ayanami Rei First Child

Yeah it's really more of a mild annoyance to you people and I think they are often times rather amusing. I don't think most of those people think of it as cosplay, and it should NEVER be considered one...unless maybeh it was highly creative. You have better thinks to do with your time....and better things to upset people by. Such as going around the people who smell and tell them "Tame that Fanboy Funk Biotch!" :twisted:

fullmetalneko

To a lesser extent, fangirl funk.  I know that those people who don't know of Fangirl Funk just wait till the day we get someone like Seki Tomokazu or someone else of Weiss...   *shivers*  its a scary scary thing.
FanimeCon 2006 - Panels Head
Now Rena's Panel's Slave

Kazuko

Quote from: "fullmetalneko"To a lesser extent, fangirl funk.  I know that those people who don't know of Fangirl Funk just wait till the day we get someone like Seki Tomokazu or someone else of Weiss...   *shivers*  its a scary scary thing.
o__o; well when Kamijo was here  there was a trace of some fangirl funk

D:< forshame female counterparts, as myself am I female as well but i dont smell

Lisu

Quote from: "Kazuko"
Quote from: "fullmetalneko"To a lesser extent, fangirl funk.  I know that those people who don't know of Fangirl Funk just wait till the day we get someone like Seki Tomokazu or someone else of Weiss...   *shivers*  its a scary scary thing.
o__o; well when Kamijo was here  there was a trace of some fangirl funk
*bing bing* and you are correct. Kamijo sings, Kamijo does anything, and in unison everyone raises their rose. And then its was like a *wham* from a distasteful odor.
As for the signs...it could have been I was not that attentive, but I only noticed them late...late at night when people were probably bored out of their minds but still refused to sleep.

neko ewen

Last year A-Kon started a no-signs policy, and things went perfectly smoothly from what I saw. On the other hand, from what I've heard over there the signs had actually become a serious problem. There's this narrow overpass in the hotel there that leads to a food court across the street, and supposedly it was clogged with sign-holders, to the point where it was becoming a serious fire hazard as well as a nuisance. Fanime definitely hasn't reached that point.
Yaruki Zero Games | Ask me about Maid RPG
"I dream heavy metal but I live whiny punk rock."

OniCourseMusha

I noticed few people got in trouble for having sign of soliciting during the con and I didn't even know about that until my friend warned me.  I've stopped doing mine.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

Ayanami Rei First Child

Well I only think people get in trouble for some soliticing with money, and they have a tray out....I know one person seemed to get in trouble for that.....as well as being offensive.

As I said put your energy into something more constructive and meaningful... :roll:

animeangelfish

signs can be an addittion to a cosplay..for instance for those who know of Furuba/Frutis basket..

in my group of cosplayers we had no Kyou, naturally as a Kagura I had to figure out something creative..

so I carried a sign that said 'Have you seen my kyou-kun?' and lined it with hearts, with hsi picture of course. that was considered a signbut it was also a prop  as I walked the halls searchign for a Kyou

Cosplay 2013: Fem!Reno, River Song (Melody Malone), Hipster!Ariel
Attendee since 2005

M

Quote from: "Duo"signs can be an addittion to a cosplay..for instance for those who know of Furuba/Frutis basket..

in my group of cosplayers we had no Kyou, naturally as a Kagura I had to figure out something creative..

so I carried a sign that said 'Have you seen my kyou-kun?' and lined it with hearts, with hsi picture of course. that was considered a signbut it was also a prop  as I walked the halls searchign for a Kyou

But something like that isn't as bad as swearing/cussing, signs that are rude, or soliciting signs.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Spiritsnare

Yeeeah, there's a slight difference between "Have you seen my Kyo-kun?" and "Naruto sucks!".
epic progressive

vox

uzutake

Quote from: "Spiritsnare"Yeeeah, there's a slight difference between "Have you seen my Kyo-kun?" and "Naruto sucks!".

Someone actually had the latter sign? O__O

Maybe if there was a sign policy, then it wouldn't be as harsh as "No sign that is not a part of cosplay" but maybe something like: "No uncensored profanity, nothing inappropriate" and all that usual rule stuff.

dealerJason

The problem with signs is thus:
1. They tend to be vulgar to the point that parents do complain.
2. They tend to be too similar to actual solicitation (give me this, I will give you that) that police officers have asked us what is up.
3. They tend to copy each other and really lack originality
        -More of a personal preference

Bottom line, Signs at con are cool, they make Fanime interactive and fun.  However, they lack thought, polish, and cleverness.

I am actually looking to some kind of Random programming item where I can include a "Safe and Sane" award.  This would go to the group that came up with the most random interesting fan created event or signage at Fanime.  Don't know how I can do this, but I am thinking about it.

Bottomline, Fanime is an interactive con.  However, just like you suggest to us how to do the con better, I would like to make the above suggestions so that signage is still a strong part of fan interaction at our show.

Sincerely,
Jason Ebner
Jason Ebner
Fanime Staffer *retired*
I was blamed for EVERYTHING! :-)
www.asahicon.org
www.blameebner.com