Your opinion on hentai-based cosplay?

Started by hosoi-koe, July 08, 2006, 11:10:54 PM

hosoi-koe

A lot of my cosplays are characters from H-games and DatingSims.

Not necessarily all hentai-based and H-game cosplays are revealing-- most of them are just school uniforms from the series, but the fact that they're from a hentai may cause some viewers form some sort of derogatory opionion on them. What about you guys?

And also, what about the cosplays that ARE revealing (Hentai or not)? I hear some find these types of cosplay bastardizing the idea of cosplay. Some people will say that cosplay was meant to be enjoyable whether it is revealing or not. I don't have any revealing cosplay, but I have friends that do. I wonder how other people feel about them. Is it a nice body that makes it okay, or is it just not appropriate?

I'd like to hear how you guys at the Fanime Boards feel. ^_^;
~ Jun Watarase <3

Nina Star 9

i think that hentai cosplay is okay as long as it is done beucase you love the character or costume and you are not doing it just to whore yourself out or get attention. i guess i feel the same about revealing cosplays, as well. o-o;

hosoi-koe

Quote from: "Nina Star 9"i think that hentai cosplay is okay as long as it is done beucase you love the character or costume and you are not doing it just to whore yourself out or get attention. i guess i feel the same about revealing cosplays, as well. o-o;

^_^;; Well, a lot of the anime series I watch are normally based of H-games. (I play them, too... but not much recently.) I love their uniforms, and a lot of the characters are really adorable.

Thing is with... revealing cosplay... they kind of make me feel uneasy. x.x;
~ Jun Watarase <3

Nina Star 9

i also think that you should not force yourself into a costume you are not comfortable with, even if you love the character. xD

(it acutally took me a lot of courage to wear my "koe" costume. >> i have never worn a strapless top before, and those skirts are really really thin... x-x and rather short on one part... x-x heh. :P)

AnimeEmperor

My personal opinion is that hentai based cosplay is just the same as normal cosplay. I don't really see a difference.

Spiritsnare

Yes -- whether or not your cosplay's ecchi, it's still cosplay.

Also, anime based off of eroge usually isn't ero itself, so I'd say you're okay...unless the anime is, in fact, ero. Then try to stay away from any outfits a characted might wear...'in bed'...
epic progressive

vox

uzutake

As long as they dont walk out wearing just a bra or nothing at all, I dont see anything wrong with it.

But I think some of that scared my 7-year-old sister just being introduced to anime and my 36-year-old non-otaku mom. O___O

It really influenced their look on anime/video games/otakus in general.

pockystix

I see cosplay the same as costuming on the silver screen. Cosplay is just usually fan-made. I agree with the others - as long as the purpose is not derogatory. For example, I find the seifuku from SHUFFLE!  and AIR cute, as well as the costumes from Utawarerumono and Fate/Stay Night, even though they were all based on h-games. That doesn't necessarily make me a bad person, right? ^^
New sn = Meirin

KimaLucifer

I say don`t mind much as long as you cover up where you SHOULD.

Meaning hide your breasts and don`t put it so that your nipple is almost PREPARED to show up even though it`s hidden as of yet.

Me personally I`ve done some shocking cosplays over where I live right now. Photoshoots can be VERY embarassing when you`re dressed like this to Toshimaen (Amusment park) at 3 deg. C:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/kimalucifer/Togainu.jpg
The costume front (I refused to get off the floor cause the wind would hit me completley was this:
http://darkeye.fc2web.com/050612k9.jpg
2nd Photo is NOT me btw*

It was cold. Yes it was. But that`s not the point. The actual character has his front bare but we kinda have the modesty not to show it.  We also wrapped some flesh colored bandages over us JIC. It kept us war too so it was nice :D

It`s not wrong to do any hentai cosplay as long as you`re not being a whore about it. :3
Doll Collecting Frenzy.
MSD#2, SD13#16, YSD Kuuta, MSDOne-offSwDMiuBoy
AoD Lele x2

MSD#17 coming home soon

Living my life away in Japan...hopefully to return for fanime next NEXT year.

DayDreamerNessa

I have yet to have cosplay from hentai yet, but i've found many outfits i'd love to make such as the bible black uniform, and an outfit from a hentai called beat angel escalayer, I think the outfits are really creatively designed and are super cute. Though my bf doesn't like the idea of me running around in a costume from a hentai.

Like others have said, it's just like any other cosplay someone would do, i see NO difference.
++ Visit my cosplay website below ++
++ http://www.eternaldaydream.com ++

Mango Bunny

I don't see anything wrong with it. Just don't act out the scenes in the middle of the con floor, please.

zoupzuop2

Just, ah... don't try re-enacting any scenes. Then you're okay.
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

Jyunishinsho

As long as some (if not all) of your clothes are on, and it's enough that it's legally ok, then I guess it's fine to dress as a ren'ai character.
Dating sim characters are pretty much the same as normal (understated) anime characters, so I see nothing wrong with it.

No offense with this statement: Though I was thinking you meant that you were the tentacle monster I happen to see at conventions...

Minagi-chan

I find no problems with revealing cosplay or h-play as long as it's done in good taste.
<3 Miss Coquine <3
We slip and slide as we fall in love and I just can't seem to get enough.

Eri Kagami

I really liked Kanon. It has crossed my mind a few times to cosplay as Mai. I just like her 'cause she's the silent badass schoolgirl type.

Eh...I'm very laissez-faire when it comes to cosplay. Then again, I go to a school where it is permissable to sunbathe topless.