Recommendation?

Started by xx_remix, September 14, 2006, 01:26:40 PM

xx_remix

This is probably going to be the first time I attend fanime, so I was wondering if I could get a recommendation on when to reserve a hotel room @ the hilton or the marriot or what not.

C:

I know hotel information hasnt been posted.. but im just curious so that I know.

And..
off topic..
But does anyone think i can get away with driving a rented car to san jose if i only had my license for about 2 months?

xD;

I wanted to have my dad rent it for me.
C;
And I go up on my own.
O;

Sora

I'm not sure about the car thing, but you best get the hotel room when they post it up.
"Don't give me any orders."

ip136

I agree.. getting your hotel room asap is best.. I know this year, I'll be one of those 'evil' people.. not only requesting dual rooms.. but requesting certain room numbers as well. *shifty eyes* XP

As for the car rental... I'm not sure about the idea of having your driver's liscense for only 2 months.. but you DO Have to be above the age 21, most rentals I believe it is 25 years old if you don't want to get 'raped' by an additional cost per day. If your father rents if for you, it might be 'illegal' in their contract to have you drive. Especially if you're underage. Unless you're on the contract to drive the car, a lot of bad stuff can happen. Especially if you get pulled over or in an accident.
Clicky my Art Pwease?

ININ

Renters must be 24 or older.  If 21 to 24, they pay an underage charge.  Secondary drivers must be at least 24 or 25.  It's easy to check a car rental's policy online.  I rent at Avis.  Here is Avis' policy

http://www.avis.com/AvisWeb/JSP/global/en/rentersguide/policies/us/policies_landing.jsp

Make sure your auto insurance covers for rentals.  That way, you don't have to pay additional fees for the rental's auto insurance coverage.

You can have you Dad rent the car for you and, if you want to be sneaky and you're under 24, your Dad says he's the only driver.  Then you can drive to Fanime.  ip136 has a valid point.  If you get in an accident and you Dad wasn't in the car, major trouble :-\

BTW, did you think about flying?  San Jose Convention Center is a ten minute drive from the Airport.  Taking a taxi is between $15.00 to $20.00 including tips.

phoenixphire24

I'd get a hotel room ASAP. Last year reservations went up sometime in December, I believe. By April most rooms were booked and the staff had to find more rooms.

As for the car rental, I wouldn't recommend driving a rented car if you've only had your licence for 2 months (and I assume you're a teenager). You have to ge at least 21 to rent and drive the car, and if caught you'll be in a lot of trouble. If you don't want to fly, try starting a thread on carpooling. I'm sure you can find someone from your area that would love to share the cost of gas/parking.

Again, I don't know your age, but you're also going to need someone that's 18 to check into your hotel room. They'll have to be there in person with an ID, so you can't just have them reserve the room for you.

FanFicGuru

The hotel info will be posted December 1st, and you can start reserving rooms then. The good thing is that as long as you have a credit card or debit card with a visa on it, you can hold the room without any initial charges. That means you can put in your card number and stuff and they'll use that to hold the room. On the day of check in you can change the card too, as long as you present the card you reserved it with.

I would recommend the Marriott. From what I've heard and seen the Marriott provides larger rooms and is generally nicer to stay in. I can't talk on the staff too much because I've got mixed feelings, but for the most part they are friendly and helpful.

As for the car thing, I know that if you're under 25 there's a fee involved...do you only have your license for 2 months right now? Or by the time Fanime comes you'll have had it for 2 months? If it's the latter they might not rent it to you because they might require at least 3 or 6 months.

In any case...Marriott all the way. ^_^
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015