arist alley help

Started by damatte, September 16, 2006, 03:06:04 PM

damatte

Sorry if these questions have been asked previously on this big 'ol forum.

Question 1) Which company can I go to to make buttons?
Question 2) Which t-shirt company is cheap?
Question 3) How will I make the keychains? @_@
Question 4) What do you do about the seller's permit if you and your friend are sharing a table? Get two? Get one? What do you do if you and your friend ROTATES so only one friend is at the table at a time? 0_o

fanartist

You can purchase button makers on Ebay for fairly cheap, or you can go to a nearby hobby/craft store and ask if they have one.

T-shirt printing, I found, are pretty inefficiant.

Unless you know how to silkscreen, you're gonna need quite a bit of cash for printing T-shirts.

Keychains, from what I've seen, can be made with laminated paper, or you can purchase blank keychains from hobby/craft store near you.

If you're sharing a table, I suppose you can get away with one seller's permit. As long as someone has one, it should be OK.

Just be sure to file your taxes afterwards.

damatte

Oohhh....well what's silkscreening btw? 0_O And what about printing out the image on the special paper that you can iron on the shirt? I heard about it, but wasn't sure it'd turn out right...:/  And about the table...that "someone" MUST be the artist right? Because me and my friend can't be there the whole time artist alley is open >< will we lose our table??? 0_o Uh...what do you mean by "do your taxes"? Dang...totally an artist alley noob, lol

fanartist

Gah, totally forgot about iron-ons D: (was thinking about professional printing >>;)

There are special kinds of paper where you can print and iron onto a T-shirt, but I've never tried it, so I can't say how well it goes >>; If you have a Micheals nearby, you should raid a Sunday paper since they have a 40% off coupon every week for one item.

I've only silkscreened once, but the down side is that the screens themselves cost quite a bit and you have to get ready to shell out a bit of cash >>;

In my experience (which is only once >>;), as long SOMEONE has a permit, it's OK.

For a permit, you'll need to have at hand official ID (passport, Driver's license, etc), your social security number, and a bank account (most banks have free checking, and I strongly suggest you get it).

Faxing in the form is the best way to send in your application, and in several days time you should get a phone call to confirm your application.

If you apply for a seller's permit, you'll need to pay taxes with a tax form. It'll come with your seller's permit in a packet.

The tax form/payment has a deadline so BE SURE TO TURN IT IN ON TIME. Since your social security number will be on the permit, this will be on your record FOREVER.

AND DON'T FORGET TO FILL OUT A TAX FORM AT THE END OF THE YEAR!!

And don't blatently lie about your earnings D: Big Brother can be watching.

During the course of the day, you'll ask people to watch your shop for you (BTW: If you're getting a table by yourself, be sure to get to know your neighbors early on just in case you need a food/bathroom break). I suggest that you keep your seller's permit somewhere visible/close at hand and carry a cellphone just in case people actually come to check up.

Also, you can close your table whenever you want. One artist didn't even come the first day and set up on the second day. Just make sure your stuff is well protected; I've heard some cases of theft in the Artist's Alley after closing time.

Since you paid for the space, it's reserved and no one can take it away from you.

damatte

Oohhh....well what about if you're younger? (like no bank account, etc.) We have to get permission from our parents right? And about the table, is a table assigned to use, or first day when we go, we go claim one? Geh...the real taxes (forms and all that dang stuff)....I thought I could avoid that until I get old...Hopefully an artist nearby could help me out...@_@

fanartist

No matter how old you are, you can get a bank account. But if this is your first time, I suggest that you make one with your parents.

As for the table, if parental consent is needed, then there should be a place where your parents can sign in the Artist's Alley Agreement.

And good thing for you, finnimon did some research before Fanime and posted it up on her LJ:

Quote from: "[email protected]"...

Because I have savings in a bank for college funds and I am above the age of 14, the government takes 15% of everything I earn. Taking out the stuff with the art table, that's 15% of the interest I earn from putting money in a bank. I can file with my parents because I am still under the age of 18 and thus a legal minor, however, any money that I make from this convention, the government also gets a 15% cut. The good news about my situation in these taxes is that since I am earning less than $600 from the convention (there is no possible way I could earn more than that), I only have to file sales taxes once a year, as opposed to once every month

http://finnimon.livejournal.com/119750.html

And Artists are really nice people (the ones I've met so far ^^;) If you have any questions during the con, just walk up to someone behind a table and ask ^^

Tables are assigned before the convention starts. You'll get a map via email, and all you have to do is get there and tell them you're here, you paid, and give them your Artist's Alley agreement.

damatte

Ooohh....okies :) Thank you ^^ Eghhh...I don't want to make a bank account with/without my parents...-_-; Hopefully I can get my friend to do that, lol. Can't we just ask our parents to give us their conesent to use their account? ><

fanartist

If you're a minor, I don't think there would be a problem with that since you're filing your tax report with your parents anyways.

To be safe, I suggest that you ask them first.

Anigamer

Does anybody how much the sellers permit cost?!
And does anybody know Is there diffrent types of sellers permit
such as temp and others stuff.....
plz help!! >_<

Arigato!