Black and White Masquerade Ball in '07?

Started by boots01, November 14, 2006, 04:35:19 AM

Would you be interested in attending?

yes - black and white ball? where's my egl outfit...?
27 (77.1%)
no - ballroom dancing... you're kidding right?
2 (5.7%)
maybe - it's different, i'll give you that.
6 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: November 14, 2006, 04:35:19 AM

LadyKaren

Quote from: "mDuo13"Heck yes! What sort of formal ballroom dancing are we planning on, here, anyway?

The Cha-cha is an easy, upbeat dance that works for a lot of songs.
Swing dancing is fun and also not too hard, and good for improvisation.
Waltz is a nice mellow dance and probably not THAT hard to teach people.
Salsa is all the rage and good for improvisation but kind of hard to teach.

Mduo... swing dancing... <3

He's fun to dance with.

1Fireforge

The website said swing and waltz at least.  An hour class for each is plenty to get the basics down for East Coast swing (single or triple step) and or to teach localized area waltz, i.e. instead of rotary waltz where everyone is proceeding in a huge circle in line of dance, everyone would kind of be in their own spaces doing their rotations in a much smaller area.  It's better for beginners.   I'll bet they throw a few fox trots in also, since those can be reasonably basic too.  Schottische (although it sounds hard) is actually super easy...if you can walk and hop, you can dance it =)  So those would be my suggestions.

Cha-Cha and Salsa are nice, but I don't dig too much on latin frame dances except for Tango =)

- FF

Let's go VOLTRON force!

Voiddarkness

I want to help out.  I can lead all of the basic ballroom dances.  I can also help lead or follow in west coast swing and east coast swing.  Also, who's teaching this thing?
..........okay....

Eri Kagami

Tom and I (Traveling Valentine) gave lots of our ballroom music to the Anime Expo ballroom dance. If you want more music, we have over five hours worth of various ballroom music.

Email us!
tv@ scarlet-rhapsody.com

heeroyuy135

I've been hearing news that the rave party for Fanime was canceled and that many believe that this event, the B&W Ball, will take its place. From what I read, the people who were holding the rave party had some budget problems, and they had to cancel.

I've been on the defense for the B&W Ball, saying that this event was planned way before the news came out, and that just because there's no rave party doesn't mean the B&W Ball has to go too...

boots01

no, the bw ball is going strong and still kicking so come one, come all!
-Eugene
2001 Video Programming Staffer
2002 Acting Video Programming Head
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2010 Yamaga Party Coordinator
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

so much anime to watch, so little time

heeroyuy135

RyannBTW

What to wear...  Merciful Goddess or Soifon?  Hmm...

I think I'd prefer this to the Rave anyway.

Hey, are they taking song requests for this event?  If so I have one that I'd like to suggest.
Find me on Gaia:  Indigo Project

Current projects:
Merciful Goddess (Saiyuki):100%
InuYasha + Tetsusaiga: 100%
SnJ Shikamaru: 75%
Soi Fong (Bleach): 15%

dragonraver

I think foxtrot will be taught first since it's the ballroom version of "slow" dancing. Waltz will definitely be taught since it's what a majority of the people think they will learn. Swing will be fun to dance west coast isn't hard to learn. It'd be great if some Latin dances are thrown in too. I love Latin styles and swing; they're really fun to dance. =D

Does anyone know if wearing ballroom shoes is good for this... I prefer dancing in them since they are so much easier to dance in, but I don't know how the floor will be... I don't want to ruin my shoes... The sole is so hard to clean when it gets all crappy... =(
Fly like a penguin!

boots01

the floor should be carpeted - no hard dance floor.  wear what you like as far as shoes are concerned because comfort is always a good thing.  of course, if your costume requires different shoes, you might want to wear what would be appropiate for the costume.
-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

1Fireforge

Carpet?  Hmm, not as easy to dance in carpet.  Any chance of a hard floor?

- FF

Let's go VOLTRON force!

boots01

unfortunately, the hard floor was going to cost like $3000 which was more than our budget would allow.  the carpet isn't bad though, it's not plush, it's standard hotel lobby material.
-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

RyannBTW

Quote from: "boots01"unfortunately, the hard floor was going to cost like $3000 which was more than our budget would allow.  the carpet isn't bad though, it's not plush, it's standard hotel lobby material.
If we are comfortable, are we allowed to go barefoot on it?
Find me on Gaia:  Indigo Project

Current projects:
Merciful Goddess (Saiyuki):100%
InuYasha + Tetsusaiga: 100%
SnJ Shikamaru: 75%
Soi Fong (Bleach): 15%

1Fireforge

Barefoot might actually be better on carpet.  Good that it's the regular non-plushy carpet, though.  

- FF

Let's go VOLTRON force!

Swizzlstik Cosplay

Yes! This is so gonna rock! I can probably wear my yukata to this, since I'm bringing it anyway...only problem is that you can't swing dance very easily in a yukata. hmmm....

I'm REALLY tempted to bring an actual ball gown that I have (it's black and white) and make up an ANBU mask from Michael's...hmmm....oh the possibilities. Heck, I'll even have long black gloves from one of my cosplays!!!
The only thing constant in life is that life is constantly changing.

1Fireforge

As long as you lose the zori and don't mind flashing someone if your yukata opens up doing a turn, all will be well, I'm sure =)

- FF

Let's go VOLTRON force!

Swizzlstik Cosplay

Quote from: "1Fireforge"As long as you lose the zori and don't mind flashing someone if your yukata opens up doing a turn, all will be well, I'm sure =)

- FF

hahaha, riiight. And since I don't have any proper underwear for that, I think I'll do the formal dress. And that means more to take....*shrug* Oh well, this is what a con's all about

I'm so geared up for this. This is gonna be so awesome!
The only thing constant in life is that life is constantly changing.

Inuashley

Wow, an ANBU Ball gown? This I want to see ^^
Next conventions: Fanime 2011, Anime Next (?), Anime Expo, AM2

yumicchi88

so preffered is dress?
I just took begining ballroom dance class in school this semester so I'm happy i can use the skill at fanime!
This year I will Volunteer!

Excited about Karaoke Contest!!

boots01

costume or formal-wear is the preferred style of dress.  even better would be formal-wear costume :P
-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,