Black and White Masquerade Ball in '07?

Started by boots01, November 14, 2006, 04:35:19 AM

Would you be interested in attending?

yes - black and white ball? where's my egl outfit...?
27 (77.1%)
no - ballroom dancing... you're kidding right?
2 (5.7%)
maybe - it's different, i'll give you that.
6 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: November 14, 2006, 04:35:19 AM

boots01

i think that that should be fine.  my undrestanding is that the black and white part isn't specifically to limit it to black and white, but to impress the idea of it being fomal.  so any color should be fine so long as the outfit is more or less formal.
-Eugene
2001 Video Programming Staffer
2002 Acting Video Programming Head
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2010 Yamaga Party Coordinator
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

so much anime to watch, so little time

Lady_Hoshi

this is going to be alot of fun.

I'm glad I gave in to my overwhelming urge to make very fancy cosplay this year.  and I've always wanted to learn how to dance.

edit: any idea what day and times the ball and related events will be?   I want to plan a sailor moon gathering that day.
Fanime Con 2015 Cosplay:
Fri: Unknown
Sat: Unknown
Sat. night: Panda kigurumi
Sun: Queen Nehelenia (Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon)
Mon: Unknown

boots01

i hear the day and time details are still up in the air right now.  i'm sure that once they are settled, a full announcement will be made.
-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

boots01

rumor has it that they may be looking at saturday.  maybe in the evening before the main dance?
-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

Krnchichiri

Ooh, Saturday would be nice. ^^ I'll prolly be able to stay out all night seeing as I may lodge in a hotel for Saturday night. ^^

I'm psyched. ^^
Elizabeth [Chiri]
Registration Staff, 2007
Registration Staff, 2008

I AM AWESOME! :D

Ayanami Rei First Child

I'd LOVE to attend! I'm already planning on doing Black Lolita so this'll be great! <3

Ayanami Rei First Child

We should probably have a NEW poll up about what music we'd want to see! That way we can help keep interest alive for this ball, so Fanime Staff will be FORCED to give us this ball!! :twisted:

zoupzuop2

Interest from a body of people isn't the only thing that'd influence such an event on such short notice. I'm interested in having Franz Tornado, Bazooka Girl, and likeminded HI-NRG Attack artists come to Fanime, as, I'm sure, quite a few Fanime attenders are. This doesn't mean that, necessarily, Fanime staff would feel inclined to pull that off, given that AVEX is probably painful to negotiate with (it'd be like trying to book Dragonforce for a 13 year old boy's birthday). Even if we put up a poll, would they feel like they HAD to?

In a similar sense, a B&W Ball would best be commenced by a small group of individuals amongst ourselves, with a representative making it work with Fanime staff. "Pushing" something on the staff and "forcing" them to give us a ball will incline them the other way. Remember, respect can work wonders.

(And, if a 13-year-old boy ever books Dragonforce, I'm SOOOOO goin' to his birthday party. Heck yeah.)
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

1Fireforge

Well, the first thing we would need is a place to have the ball.  I don't know anything about the layout of the site (this being my first Fanime), so I'm not sure what would be a good place to do it.  We'd also need to get permission and a time frame from the Staff.  Once we do that, the rest of the ball particulars can be worked out.  

However, it does sound like Eugene has a lot of these particulars already taken care of...Eugene?  You appear to have plenty of help wherever you need it =)

- FF

Let's go VOLTRON force!

Ayanami Rei First Child

Okay...forced is a bit...harsh of a term to use. I'm just saying that if we continue to put the pressure on this thread, and really work at making this a reality....then the staff just might be able to pull off this ball for us.

I DO want us to keep the dancing styles simple, ESPECIALLY with some volunteer instructors. I, for one, do not know how to dance. Period. I know a lot of other people don't know how to dance, or not very well. Others may only know formal dancing that you do during a school dance, but not anything more. I think perhaps we could pick some music styles to fit time periods of more Novice, Medium, and/or Expert dancing styles. That way people who really know how to dance, or dance decently can tear it up on the floor, without worrying so much about novices. Not to mention us novices won't get so intimidated.

SuperKawaiiNeko

Quote from: "Ayanami Rei First Child"Others may only know formal dancing that you do during a school dance, but not anything more.

Thats not dancing. Thats hugging and swaying while turning a circle and maybe some music plays XD
President, Moldimort Inc.
A new division of Neko-Spaz enterprises worldwide
I mocked Haru! Ask me how!

Attendee 1998-2001 Volunteer 2002-2008 Swap Meet Staff 2009
Head of Volunteers 2010

Ayanami Rei First Child

Well I haven't even done that and neither have a lot of other people! Stop picking on me for my total and complete lack of dance skills :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

1Fireforge

Formal dancing isn't something that everyone is used to, so I'm sure that the dances will be simple...plus, there will be lessons, or so it says in the original post.  The biggest hurdle is getting people who might be afraid of dancing to the classes so they realize that this is supposed to be a "look good and have fun" thing, not something where people are going to make fun of you since you're new to dance.

- FF

Let's go VOLTRON force!

Ayanami Rei First Child

YEAH! Well if we got dance lessons then I'm totally there. People should be strict on NON-constructive criticism and the criticism that's overly harsh. We should make a totally awesome atmosphere to drawn in massive amounts of people :twisted: <3

Pxe

I really hope this happens...I think a friend and I are going to do victorian vampires along with our daughers....should make a good costume and stick with the black and white idea...
A Servant is a Master in disquise...Kamasutra

Ayanami Rei First Child

Oooo! That WOULD be rather interesting to see. ^_^

heeroyuy135

I'm very interested in attending... :D

boots01

Well, i guess now that it's finally gotten up on the website, i can drop all the rumor stuff.

SO! who want's info on the event????

well, here you go!

Suggested Attire:

Formal-wear cosplay (ex. egl/ega, dressed up bleach/naruto/fma/etc. characters, top hat and tails)

NO AGE LIMIT! This dance will be open to children of all ages but there ARE two conditions.

1) you MUST have a valid convention badge
2) you should do your best to be in costume.

so, what constitutes a costume in my mind is something that you wouldn't wear everyday. this can be a suit and tie, it can be a naruto shinobi costume, it can be pretty much anything besides street clothes. if you can't get a costume together, pick yourself up a mask (phantom of the opera style, or a half mask, etc., or even a nice papier mache venitian).

now, does this mean we wont let you in if you don't have a costume, no. but since most people will be in costume, just be forewarned that you will look a little out of place.
-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

OniCourseMusha

dude.  I'm gonna tell my gf RubyIII to find a dress to wear there and have our best romantic moment. Or else she can wear her cheongsam if she finds one at dealers room.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

mDuo13

Heck yes! What sort of formal ballroom dancing are we planning on, here, anyway?

The Cha-cha is an easy, upbeat dance that works for a lot of songs.
Swing dancing is fun and also not too hard, and good for improvisation.
Waltz is a nice mellow dance and probably not THAT hard to teach people.
Salsa is all the rage and good for improvisation but kind of hard to teach.

Who's teaching, anyway? I think that, probably, a one-hour lesson can only teach about one of the aforementioned dances, though that's not to say that there couldn't be music that could apply to dances other than the mentioned ones.

And then there are a few dances that probably nobody will know but are SO FUN if you're good at them, such as Paso Doble and Tango. (I wish I remembered them better.)