How to wear a kimono

Started by Touya no Miko, February 18, 2007, 03:45:09 PM

Lizchan33

Quote from: "BunofGovt"Darn, and I soooo wanted to see this panel!  The pics are great.  Are you up to doing this again next year?  I'd love to come to it.   :)

I think I might because someone wanted to hear more about the history of kimonos and I just didn't do the research to put together a presentation for that xD
But with how well the turn out was I probably will. It might be on Friday though.

Leviathan

Quote from: "Lizchan33"
Quote from: "BunofGovt"Darn, and I soooo wanted to see this panel!  The pics are great.  Are you up to doing this again next year?  I'd love to come to it.   :)

I think I might because someone wanted to hear more about the history of kimonos and I just didn't do the research to put together a presentation for that xD
But with how well the turn out was I probably will. It might be on Friday though.

Ooh goody. I wanted to go to this panel this year but missed it. :( So yay please hold another one next year. And I like the idea about talking about the history of Kimono's. I think that would be a wonderful cultural lesson. :D

Lizchan33

Because of the great turn out last year This panel will be held again in the comming year. Hopefully my co-panelists come again ^_^;;;

Moonblossom

One of 'em is working on it!

I don't know if I'll be bringing a kimono this year though, after the freaking hassles my luggage went through and the panic after I thought one of my poor babies had been lost by the airline... I dunno if my poor decrepit heart can go through that again.

(sorry for the necro'ing)

Lizchan33

Quote from: Moonblossom on January 05, 2008, 05:36:21 PM
One of 'em is working on it!

I don't know if I'll be bringing a kimono this year though, after the freaking hassles my luggage went through and the panic after I thought one of my poor babies had been lost by the airline... I dunno if my poor decrepit heart can go through that again.

(sorry for the necro'ing)
Awsome Awsome!!!!!!
I hope you make it to Fanime again!!!!!
I'm gathering up all the stuff for wearing a furisode because I have one now.... I want to wear it cause I'll be 20 this year o____o

Moonblossom

Oooh! I can't wait to see you in it!

I'm so sad I didn't get many photos of me in mine.
If anyone reading this was at the panel this year and took any photos of the dorky tall girl in the pink and purple furisode, please PM me! T_T

Lizchan33

Quote from: Moonblossom on January 16, 2008, 09:30:31 PM
Oooh! I can't wait to see you in it!

I'm so sad I didn't get many photos of me in mine.
If anyone reading this was at the panel this year and took any photos of the dorky tall girl in the pink and purple furisode, please PM me! T_T
I didn't give you a picture?!!?!?!?!?
I'll have to pull one off my moms computer for you!!!!

Moonblossom

kimono_hime

I would be more than happy to be involved in this if I get a booth for '08 (I'm workin' on it, really!). I wear kimono frequently, have hosted fashion shows and will likely be hosting a panel at another con this fall.

And well, hey, I'll be selling them, too.  ;)

TaikoMoon

This is an excellent idea and am glad you are continuing it. As I was reading earlier I hadn't paid attention to the dates and thought I could probably teach this stuff. Than I saw the dates and that moon was doing it. Man I kinda felt stupid there for a bit.

Tying an obi can be very tricky for those who don't know how. Especially to do it by yourself. Thankfully (and for the more lazy citizen) they now have the two piece obi. Its a real good one, especially for kids.

Might I recommend bringing the modern and more commonly used kimono? It is a current and rising fashion (in the kimono sense).

And congrats on turning 20. Bring the boa thing! My mom said I couldn't do mine. She claims we are american now and there for the answer is NO. <_<; Its funny because as she says this- her "engrish" is super heavy. XD She cracks me up at times. Never the less... At least you had one lol

If you don't have one of the more contemporary ones I can bring it in and help ya out if you want. ^__^
"Friendly fire isn't"
'08 cosplay(s) All still debatable:
Chibi Maya/tenjho tenge
Ibuki/Street Fighter

Lizchan33

Quote from: TaikoMoon on February 27, 2008, 11:54:30 PM
This is an excellent idea and am glad you are continuing it. As I was reading earlier I hadn't paid attention to the dates and thought I could probably teach this stuff. Than I saw the dates and that moon was doing it. Man I kinda felt stupid there for a bit.

Tying an obi can be very tricky for those who don't know how. Especially to do it by yourself. Thankfully (and for the more lazy citizen) they now have the two piece obi. Its a real good one, especially for kids.

Might I recommend bringing the modern and more commonly used kimono? It is a current and rising fashion (in the kimono sense).

And congrats on turning 20. Bring the boa thing! My mom said I couldn't do mine. She claims we are american now and there for the answer is NO. <_<; Its funny because as she says this- her "engrish" is super heavy. XD She cracks me up at times. Never the less... At least you had one lol

If you don't have one of the more contemporary ones I can bring it in and help ya out if you want. ^__^
I would Love it if you did!!!
I'm not Japanese at all so it's weird enough for me to want to do so many Japanese traditions.... ^^;;
Please pm me if you need my number and such... Between this and the lolita picnic I'm always busy at the con now.... I might be lazy and wear my Yukata... It gets really warm in May =__=

Lizchan33

Quote from: kimono_hime on February 27, 2008, 11:33:55 PM
I would be more than happy to be involved in this if I get a booth for '08 (I'm workin' on it, really!). I wear kimono frequently, have hosted fashion shows and will likely be hosting a panel at another con this fall.

And well, hey, I'll be selling them, too.  ;)

If possible I'd like to take all the help I'm offered!~!
If you need a number to get a hold of me just pm me a message....ok?
I'd love to have panel help @_@

TaikoMoon

Sure I will try my best to help you out. Just let me know the dates and times or whatevers. I may be staffing this year as a translator of sorts. That and I should probably ask my mom for permission. ><; my Aunt made one of them.

Yeah... we come from a hick kinda family so my Aunts and Uncles and very handy. ^_^;;; I love the village. Anyways, let me know what you have and what not (including himo, obi, 'cheating obi', and all that jazz). You can send a PM and stuffs. Just to warn you though I do run on Hawaiian time. (It's two hours... er... soon to be three hours behind PST).
"Friendly fire isn't"
'08 cosplay(s) All still debatable:
Chibi Maya/tenjho tenge
Ibuki/Street Fighter

kimono_hime

Sure, I was planning on dressing someone on stage just so everyone can see what is involved. I have all the kitsuki necessary and would just need a model of the right size.

Here are a few pics from a fashion show I did last summer. Unfortunately since I was busy dressing the models I didn't have an opportunity to take and photos, so I only have a few.  :(

maeiounj39

I wore a kimono once, but I feel too unfit for it. I think the point of some kimonos is to sit up straight. It was like killin my stomach. This particular kimono came with a sash (I don't know if every one has one) and they tied really tight.

Moonblossom

Quote from: maeiounj39 on April 10, 2008, 06:42:57 PM
I wore a kimono once, but I feel too unfit for it. I think the point of some kimonos is to sit up straight. It was like killin my stomach. This particular kimono came with a sash (I don't know if every one has one) and they tied really tight.

That "sash" is called the obi, and yes, all kimono have them. They're supposed to be tied nice and tight, and keep you straight and having a nice cylindrical silhouette. It's sort of like wearing a corset, actually. Personally I love the feeling of being confined like that, it's like having a back brace, but a very very stylish one!

Kava

As a note - I believe that this panel isn't going to go on this year because we are already having three different panels from Immortal Geisha.com + the Kimono Fashion show.

Hopefully next year! ^-^
Rena
Panels Coordinator 2007-2014
Programming Director, 2015

Panels Twitter: http://twitter.com/FanimePanels

Lizchan33

Quote from: Kava on April 13, 2008, 07:38:23 PM
As a note - I believe that this panel isn't going to go on this year because we are already having three different panels from Immortal Geisha.com + the Kimono Fashion show.

Hopefully next year! ^-^

No I'm afraid I won't be doing this one again... Immortal Geisha can take over for me since she was there last year.... ^_^;;;