Damn You Internets! (Update #9 - The Final!)

Started by alkaline, February 19, 2007, 12:29:14 AM

Inuashley

I still don't understand what this is, even after watching the trailer, but it looks funny, so i'll probably go on Saturday after the Karaoke contest finals are over. ^^
Next conventions: Fanime 2011, Anime Next (?), Anime Expo, AM2

alkaline

Update #5 - With 2 weeks to go until Fanime, I've gotten early press access to the Halo 3 Beta and suddenly, I can't get any work done!

There are still a few things left to do until the panel and so I caught our favorite host, Mikey, on AIM and had a little Q&A session to see how he's doing. He's a man of few words which naturally makes him the perfect candidate to host!

---

Jared: As host of Damn You Internets, what are you doing to prepare for the panel?

Mikey: Living on the internet... and making you do a bunch of shit for me.

Jared: I'm editing Halo 3 footage in the background. Does this make you nervous?

Mikey: Hell no, because we did all of (well, all that I thought of) the shit we need to do already. (Editors note: lulz)

Jared: Why are you such a freaking jerk? Why can't you just stfu and let people have their own damned opinions, you jerk!

Mikey: People can have opinions, but if someone presents a stupid opinion, I'll tell them how fucking stupid their opinion is.

Jared:  Jerk. So what is it that you're most excited to talk about this year?

Mikey: How I was banned from the Fanime forums simply because the Fanime staff "didn't like me" and believes that is grounds to ban a contributing attendee (Hey, look. I run panels.), under the claim of "we don't like him." (ed note: I'm just the messenger!)

Every picture of Mikey we have is more frightening than the last.

Jared: Christ that's controversial! Anything else?

Mikey: Nothing else in specific, though, the intro for the first night is something I'm looking forward to.

Jared: Yeah, without spoiling anything, what can you say about the more planned events?

Mikey: There's REAL ACTUAL PLANNED EVENTS THIS TIME! We'll be having special guests, slide shows, and audience participation filled games.

Jared: What can you say to persuade folks who don't have plans to be at the panel?

Mikey: Hmmm... Seeing that these are pretty late at night, seriously what else are you going to be doing? Nothing is going on at these times. You better be getting drunk, or laid or something.

Your other options are, staring at that Goku cosplayer that brings his desktop PC and sleeps in the convention center area, or talking about what you could be doing. Why not go to something that's actually entertaining, fun, and allows for participation. Hell, it'll probably be better than the masquerade.

---

See you next match!

alkaline

Update #6 - What better time for a panel update than 3AM on a Sunday morning?

But I wouldn't be updating if I weren't working on the panel, right? I finally got a chance to sit down and chat with our expert of all things Japanese, James, and figure out what he'll be bringing to the panel. I always forget how seriously hardcore he is about Japanese web culture that, after tossing ideas back and forth, we decided to get him his own portion of the panel.

It's one thing to browse 2ch and think you're hardcore, but James? Good lord. I have no idea what it is that I've been watching all night, but I do know this: hilarity shall ensue.

I'll be working with him throughout the week to get him setup, but what about right now? Aside from presentation quirks, I've starting getting together what should amount to a game show being held during the panel. I can't say what the subject is, but that's because it would be no fun if any of you could research it before hand. And yes! There will be prizes!

From the way things are looking, if the game show will be on the second night (Sunday, 9PM), as the first night is looking packed. Actually, they both are. But of course I would say that, right?

Still, if anyone has any ideas or suggestions, throw them our way. Or you could always stop by our Brainstorm Rodeo thread here on the Fanime forums.

See you next match!

alkaline

HEY!

Are you a girl?

Do you cosplay?

Are you planning on going to Damn You Internets?

Would you like to help us put together a quick video on Saturday night?

Shoot me a message here on the Fanime forum or on AIM. We may be in need of someone to play role! All things will be explained and don't worry, we're not in it to be like "llulz cosplay" because, duh, some of us are cosplayers too!

alkaline

Update #7 - Yawn. Getting over the Monday morning Fanime hump is hard.. Gotta leave the hotel in an hour and I'm still in my pajammas. That and the second night of Damn You Internets was so awesome that it ended up running for almost 2 hours!

We'll have a more official post mortem over the next day or so, but for now you can view the panels in all their unedited glory. I'm going to assume that these were done by the folks over at Otaku Hunter, but if I'm wrong, let me know-

Saturday Night: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7C36LF9Q
Sunday Night: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2XWH6USE

So thanks to them for filming, Jason Ebner for not only sticking up for us but actually coming on stage as well. Jason Green for putting up with my terrible jokes and everyone who showed up. Even "the Heckler." Oh! And Fanime Tech for being there on time (even well before it!) and being extremely helpful. It definitely helped squash some of my lingering doubts.

See you next match!

Asa_Gohan

I cried cause I didnt go to the 2nd one Dx I was the one dressed up as anonymous and I was in the front row.  I wasnt the one with the bag on my head btw ^^;;

This sig isnt true anymore...I have to wait for a bit...

Zerocide

/r/ sauce of that pic that was like 93 memes in one picture. Or rather , just the picture period.

Awesome panel
Check 1

Asa_Gohan

Wait...Oh shi~ you guys went for 2 hours...I could have went Dx cause I came down at like 10:09 and was like screw it the panel is already over...Oh how wrong I was T_T

felicity869

I was one of the 5 or less girls that were there on the second day. I just wanted to say that I thought you guys were hilarious. Keep it up :)

PyronIkari

Glad you had fun.

As you can tell from that, me and Stu definitely did.

Asa_Gohan

That picture seemed normal till I saw his head under that dress =D Interesting @_@ :shock:

Barnes

Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

Smikey

This was the bst panel ever. I was the gy who asked about the diamonds and then asked for the Mc Hammer Dance which was WIN btw.

alkaline

Update #8 - Ahoy, from Bakersfield! I'm out on a road trip and still kicking the post mortem around. We're still waiting to see if the rest of the second night's missing video pops online, but in the mean time we'd like to give you all a treat for attending the panel. And so, I put together something that was very requested throughtout the weekend. Presenting -

Damn You Internets!: The Soundtrack!

Link:http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QTW2XE75 <- New Link!

I'll let most of it be a surprise, but rest assured that if you heard a song during the panel, you'll find it here. Everything from the "Land of Chocolate" intermission music, to the trailer track "Narvas" and even that great YuGiOh remix. It's all here (21 tracks in all) and ready to be consumed!

See You Next Match!

Edit: We forgot a song and have updated the download. Sorry for the trouble!

Barnes

I'll try and fix the pics in my gallery and make them less blurry. Ouch.
Yay, Haruko.

alkaline

Hey all! The Rule 34 Game is now online!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=83ORL90Q

Thanks, Peter!

I should have an update this Monday when I get back from this trip.

alkaline

alkaline

Update #9 - A week and a road trip later and we're ready to start looking back on Damn You Internets. Our two night show at Fanime was a huge success, setting the panel attendance record for the year. We'd like to thank all of you for showing up and Fanime staff for their support.

The first year of Damn You Internets, back in 2006, was more of an experiment in boredom than anything else. Mikey had like, what? Five panels? It was ridiculous, but "Damn You Internets: So You Want To Be a VIP Star?" was a hit. This was our second year and I'd like to consider it the learning experience. We tried out a lot of technical tricks and luckily for us, we walked away unscathed.

Really, it all boiled down to two programs: Keynote and Punakea. The former handled all the presentation aspects, while the latter was responsible for us being able to snag the right files at exactly the right time. In practice, they both presented their strengths and weaknesses, but overall it worked as planned.

The biggest lesson learned this year was in pacing. We had a lot of great ideas and segments planned out, but then we blew through them in a matter of minutes when they should have been stretched out. Example? We blew through the Rule /34/ game in about 20 minutes.. when it really should have took twice that amount of time. Like I said, this year was the learning experience.

So what about next year? I can say with absolute certainty that we will be back for Fanime 2008, but that's all for now. We're already kicking around some crazy, huge ideas, but honestly? That's a year from now. We have a lot of thumb twiddling time in between. Believe me when I say that when we "announce" it, you'll know.

Until then, I've updated the first post to contain all the videos, images and other media from the panel. The lot of us will be a slew of conventions this year, but of course, Damn You Internets will only be found at Fanime.

See you next match!

Barnes

Yay, Haruko.

PyronIkari

What about it? I said I'd talk about it... so I did.