The Gaming Industry and how it works.

Started by SohmaYuki, February 27, 2007, 08:54:14 AM

SohmaYuki

There was a panel like this last year, but very few people actually attended it. Reading the suggestion thread though, there seemed to be a lot of people interested in the subject. The only issue is that they only seem to care about Square-Enix and not any other companies.

If there were to be a video game industry panel, is there actually enough interest for people to go? The basic workings of the industry aren't too complicated, and I know the people that threw it last year. If enough interest is shown, I'm sure they could be convinced to do it again(although the 4 people that turned up last time isn't much to go with).

otakuapprentice

actually, i've had an idea kinda like this brewing for the last few days. the only difference is instead of it being solely directed towardsthe industry in general, how about trying to do it looking back through the history of gaming, showing where it started and how much its progressed into what it is today. if you still want to do it based on just the industry-side of it, then by all means go ahead.
having worked in a videogame store for a good while, its broadened my perspective on the industry, so i'd be interested.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

SohmaYuki

I decided against it because no one's really showing interest in it.

alkaline

I was actually supposed to be on it last year, but scheduling conflicts kept me from being there. Doh.

I've spoken with some of the others who were on it last year and honestly, if it had the original set it just wouldn't work out. I'm in a much better position myself these days (writing for Joystiq, 1UP & EGM), but not many people want to come to an anime convention to talk about video games for an hour and leave.

So yeah, this probably won't be happening this year, though we're still trying to figure out if there's something gaming related we can do.

QuoteThe only issue is that they only seem to care about Square-Enix and not any other companies.

That too. Anime fans in general aren't known for having the most varied or interesting tastes when it comes to gaming.

otakuapprentice

Quote from: "alkaline"I was actually supposed to be on it last year, but scheduling conflicts kept me from being there. Doh.

I've spoken with some of the others who were on it last year and honestly, if it had the original set it just wouldn't work out. I'm in a much better position myself these days (writing for Joystiq, 1UP & EGM), but not many people want to come to an anime convention to talk about video games for an hour and leave.

So yeah, this probably won't be happening this year, though we're still trying to figure out if there's something gaming related we can do.

QuoteThe only issue is that they only seem to care about Square-Enix and not any other companies.

That too. Anime fans in general aren't known for having the most varied or interesting tastes when it comes to gaming.
o.O you're a writer for them?! holy crap, no wai!!! you're so damn lucky!

Crazy_Saiko

<br />Please, PM me if you\'re curious.

alkaline

Let me toss around this idea I had today.

I really want to do a gaming panel this year. I do. So here was my idea. It essentially boils down to "Where the hardcore gamer went wrong." An open floor discussion on cynicism in our culture and how it effects the way we appreciate (or depreciate) video games.

I pitched the idea to a friend of mine and they told me, "That's great. Too bad Fanime isn't the Serious Games Summit." So I think that's out of the picture.

The other idea I had (that involved Crackpr0n and a few of our world class friends) was "How not to suck at fighting games." General rules and fundamentals that will guarantee you to at least not suck at 2D or 3D fighting games.

But everyone involved is lazy :(

I'll keep kicking ideas around until something sticks with me.

otakuapprentice

Quote from: "alkaline"Let me toss around this idea I had today.

I really want to do a gaming panel this year. I do. So here was my idea. It essentially boils down to "Where the hardcore gamer went wrong." An open floor discussion on cynicism in our culture and how it effects the way we appreciate (or depreciate) video games.

I pitched the idea to a friend of mine and they told me, "That's great. Too bad Fanime isn't the Serious Games Summit." So I think that's out of the picture.

The other idea I had (that involved Crackpr0n and a few of our world class friends) was "How not to suck at fighting games." General rules and fundamentals that will guarantee you to at least not suck at 2D or 3D fighting games.

But everyone involved is lazy :(

I'll keep kicking ideas around until something sticks with me.
why not do a panel on the history of gaming? y'know, go back thorugh the years showing where it started and how it got to what it is today.

SohmaYuki

because it's boring.

Talking about something you can google and is factual is a boring panel.

alkaline

Quote from: "alkaline"Let me toss around this idea I had today.

This idea? It's looking more and more likely. I'm working out the details as well as trying to get a guest or two to help me out.

I'll let you guys know in a few days :D