Artist Colony 2007

Started by AAstaff, March 01, 2007, 08:39:27 AM

chikin_nugets

Mm, I hope emails are returned soon. I haven't gotten mine yet, I'm getting so anxious. ^^

Just a quick question though, about the art securing on the convention tables, does that include taping your artwork onto the table to hold it in place?

Aya Brea

Is this a draft contract? ...  It has "need an address" for the Anime Resources Group.  Also, in 2.1 it reads

"Payment for services of the artist to the client.  The Artist will be paid as follow:"

We're getting paid?  If this is a draft, let me know so I don't send it in ^_^;;;;

Also 2.2

"Invoice for said Tabe Space will be made to FanimeCon 2007, P.O. Box 8068, San Jose, Ca. 95155 with a printed invoice obtained from the FanimeCon web site.."

What invoice?  I need to send an invoice with my table order?... if I'm paying you guys, shouldn't it be the other way around?... I'm very confused.  *_*  If I do need to fill it out, where can I find this?  Unless I really AM getting paid instead?...

I also have questions on the blanks on the second page, paragraph 5... what should I put in the blank?  

I've only read two pages... obviously this is not finished.

Will there be a deadline extension?  Since the table chart and the contract is not done?... and it's the 17th already?  Thanks!

Kabuki

thank you Aya Brea! i just sent my form out last week. i hope i filled out all the right info.

Kishi

Hey,

I have sent in several emails to fanime about registering for a table (with my name, email, number of tables requested, and mailing address), but I have had no response. These emails were sent several weeks ago. The deadline is coming up for being able to pick where I want my table on the seating chart (March 31st). I was wondering if anyone from fanime staff can let me know what is going on? Thanks.

kidoairaku

hey, i'd like to second kishi
i sent an email a while back and haven't got a reply either.
thanks ^__^
nothing but a dreamer...

Aya Brea

I got an e-mail response with the contract, but as I pointed out above, there seems to be a problem with the text.  It's not the 22nd.... panic time?

Kabuki

It's almost the 31st.... n_n; i also sent an e-mail last week.

HAWK5

WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE CONTRACT. Is it real, invisible, in Japanese, or do the rest of us not know the secret hand shake? I waited for months for a link to the colony to be posted on the main website just to find it by accident in the forum. And now we have the mystery contract that nobody seems to have, save one poster I saw in the forum link, and we can't proceed with our table reservations or registration without it. Hold on let me go back a second. O.K. I'm back. Let's see here, Aya Brea has the contract, so if you could just scan it and send it out we can fix this problem on our own. In fact you can send it to me or anybody that you know in the colony and we can just chain mail it to whoever doesn't have it. More than likely they have one poor soul who is expected to answer all of our emails and do 200 other things at the same time. If we can help distribute the proper paper work we all need than let us help you, Fanime Staff, get it done. Sorry, didn't mean to prattle on, but we only have 3 days left to meet the cons deadline and I find it hard to concentrate on drawing when stuff like this is hanging. I don't want to see this turn into a peanut cluster like San Diego Comic Con has become. Let it be known that I am not trying to single anybody out or step on toes. I just want to see all the attending artist get their stuff done so the staff workers can get their stuff done, that's all. In short, if we can help let us know. I do have blank contracts from San Diego and Wonder Con that I can modify for this show if that would work. Just a thought.

rockgoody

Could I sell homemade edible stuff with artwork on it? Like cake or cookies?

Aya Brea

Quote from: "HAWK5"WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE CONTRACT. Is it real, invisible, in Japanese, or do the rest of us not know the secret hand shake? I waited for months for a link to the colony to be posted on the main website just to find it by accident in the forum. And now we have the mystery contract that nobody seems to have, save one poster I saw in the forum link, and we can't proceed with our table reservations or registration without it. Hold on let me go back a second. O.K. I'm back. Let's see here, Aya Brea has the contract, so if you could just scan it and send it out we can fix this problem on our own. In fact you can send it to me or anybody that you know in the colony and we can just chain mail it to whoever doesn't have it. More than likely they have one poor soul who is expected to answer all of our emails and do 200 other things at the same time. If we can help distribute the proper paper work we all need than let us help you, Fanime Staff, get it done. Sorry, didn't mean to prattle on, but we only have 3 days left to meet the cons deadline and I find it hard to concentrate on drawing when stuff like this is hanging. I don't want to see this turn into a peanut cluster like San Diego Comic Con has become. Let it be known that I am not trying to single anybody out or step on toes. I just want to see all the attending artist get their stuff done so the staff workers can get their stuff done, that's all. In short, if we can help let us know. I do have blank contracts from San Diego and Wonder Con that I can modify for this show if that would work. Just a thought.

The contract's not done, and it's the things that are wrong with it are beyond just fixing on our end (it's not just touch up work).  Among the extra things we're supposed to do with this version of the contract is come up with some kind of invoice, upload it to the fanime site (I'm guessing they mean themselves...), and wait for Fanime to approve it... It's not even a simple task of swapping the parties, there's so many things wrong with it there's not way it's enforcable.  

Show of hands anyone who actually sent in that contract?   Who else actually *got* it, in fact?  

I don't want to send it around a contract so fully flawed.  They're going to fix it and extend the deadline.  The deadline coming up is for seat selection, and the seating chart is NOT ready according to them.  The actual deadline to sign up is April... I kind of wish someone WOULD let us know when the fixed contract would come out.  

I'm waiting for a fixed contract, everyone else should, too.

Kabuki

i can wait. :) i kinda figured there will be an extension.

Mangaka-chan

Last year the person organizing Artist Roll had an AIM address where people could ask questions and I thought that was really good and it helped to answer a lot of questions I had. I don't think the same person is in charge this year but I think it would be a great idea to get an AIM account and/or put up a link on the front page so artists can ask questions and find out what's going on with Artist Colony. I didn't know about the table sign up until today when my friend was checking the forums, and I regret I didn't know about this earlier since it might be too late for me to pick my own table. Anyway, this is just a little suggestion of mine. At this point I am still rather thoroughly confused about Artist Colony and what exactly is going on, but I hope it will be all sorted out somehow.  :D

Ren_Zhao

Quote from: "Mangaka-chan"Last year the person organizing Artist Roll had an AIM address where people could ask questions and I thought that was really good and it helped to answer a lot of questions I had. I don't think the same person is in charge this year but I think it would be a great idea to get an AIM account and/or put up a link on the front page so artists can ask questions and find out what's going on with Artist Colony. I didn't know about the table sign up until today when my friend was checking the forums, and I regret I didn't know about this earlier since it might be too late for me to pick my own table. Anyway, this is just a little suggestion of mine. At this point I am still rather thoroughly confused about Artist Colony and what exactly is going on, but I hope it will be all sorted out somehow.  :D

Okay guys, here's the deal. The person running AA last year is the same person as this year. Last year's AIM sn was made specially for only last year (although it's kind of strange to do it that way...because he can't reuse it for this year..). Hopefully, he'll get around to make a new account for this year's AA.

Regarding the contract, it's the EXACT SAME CONTRACT AS LAST YEAR. I've chatted with the guy running AA, and he said that he's tried to get an easier contract, but he was unable to. I have no idea where you all are getting your information, but, as far as I know, there is no such thing as a "flawed contract" or "fixed contract". It's just one contract, and we'll just have to deal with it. :/ I'll try to get more help from my dad (harhar 8D) and the AA guy, and once I get it, I can post something on it if anyone wants that?

If anyone wants additional clarification or answers or whatnot, feel free to IM me at hikaluu (AIM)!! I'm not promising to know everything, of course, since I'm not part of staff, but I'm trying to keep myself updated, so...yeah. XD;;

I apologize if I make little to no sense. :);;;
Kio
FanimeCon Artist Alley Staff 2011
Anime Expo LPTS Staff 2011
--
Fanimaid Cafe Maid 2011
Cafe Kintoki Maid/Host, Co-Manager 2011

Mangaka-chan

Quote from: "Ren_Zhao"
Okay guys, here's the deal. The person running AA last year is the same person as this year. Last year's AIM sn was made specially for only last year (although it's kind of strange to do it that way...because he can't reuse it for this year..). Hopefully, he'll get around to make a new account for this year's AA.

Regarding the contract, it's the EXACT SAME CONTRACT AS LAST YEAR. I've chatted with the guy running AA, and he said that he's tried to get an easier contract, but he was unable to. I have no idea where you all are getting your information, but, as far as I know, there is no such thing as a "flawed contract" or "fixed contract". It's just one contract, and we'll just have to deal with it. :/ I'll try to get more help from my dad (harhar 8D) and the AA guy, and once I get it, I can post something on it if anyone wants that?

If anyone wants additional clarification or answers or whatnot, feel free to IM me at hikaluu (AIM)!! I'm not promising to know everything, of course, since I'm not part of staff, but I'm trying to keep myself updated, so...yeah. XD;;

I apologize if I make little to no sense. :);;;

So does that mean we can still use the contract from alst year? I still have it on my computer.

AAstaff

Thanks to everyone for their help in this thread.  I apologize for any inconvenience.  We are trying to work as hard as we can to get emails sent out.  The seating chart is going around, and don't worry, as long as you sent an email to the Colony before the March deadline you will be able to choose your seat.  

Thank you for your patience in this, I assure you we are working as hard as we can to rectify this.  I hope to catch up with emails early this week and have someone dedicated to this thread.

Kabuki

so what's with the blanks in the agreement. it doesn't indicate what i should specifically put down. n_n;

Mangaka-chan

This will (hopefully) be my first year selling art at Fanime and I have a few questions.

The first one is about the sales permit. Which form are we suppose to choose? It seems the BOE-400-CSC would be the one for an artist such as myself, who's only going to be selling art at the convention and thus has not fixed business address. But that form is also for business outside of California, but I live in California. If anyone who's done this before could give me some input on which form to use and how to fill it out, that would be highly appreciated.  :D

I was also wondering if it would be okay to bring my sales permit the day when I come to the convention? I know the first post asks that we send it in with the contract but if I don't know if I'll have enough time to get the permit before the deadline. This is a really important question for me as it will determine what I'm going to do in the next two weeks so I really need to know ASAP. I'm so sorry for putting you guys in a pinch like this; but I really do appreciate all the help and feedback! Thanks!

Ren_Zhao

Quote from: "Mangaka-chan"This will (hopefully) be my first year selling art at Fanime and I have a few questions.

The first one is about the sales permit. Which form are we suppose to choose? It seems the BOE-400-CSC would be the one for an artist such as myself, who's only going to be selling art at the convention and thus has not fixed business address. But that form is also for business outside of California, but I live in California. If anyone who's done this before could give me some input on which form to use and how to fill it out, that would be highly appreciated.  :D

I was also wondering if it would be okay to bring my sales permit the day when I come to the convention? I know the first post asks that we send it in with the contract but if I don't know if I'll have enough time to get the permit before the deadline. This is a really important question for me as it will determine what I'm going to do in the next two weeks so I really need to know ASAP. I'm so sorry for putting you guys in a pinch like this; but I really do appreciate all the help and feedback! Thanks!

Regarding the seller's permit, I'd say go with that one? I actually haven't seen the forms myself... XD;; But it sounds like that form is for both in-California and outside of California. If it isn't, then.. oops ^^;;

Last time I talked to the AA guy, he said it was okay to just bring a copy of the sellers permit for him to the convention. Just make sure you send everything else on that list before the due date. :D
Kio
FanimeCon Artist Alley Staff 2011
Anime Expo LPTS Staff 2011
--
Fanimaid Cafe Maid 2011
Cafe Kintoki Maid/Host, Co-Manager 2011

AAstaff

Yes, you can bring a photocopy of the sales permit to the con and just give me a copy when you sign in  :)

Fanime has expressed to me that they would like the payment and contract mailed in before the convention.  So make sure you get those mailed in  :wink:

Leloi

So if we send in the contract, the fee and a copy of our sales permit, is that a guarantee of a space?  

Right now I have a seller's permit for my town, but I'll be getting a temporary one for Fanime because San Jose is 8.25% and my town is 8.75%.  

And for those who don't want to bring a calculator to figure out sales tax... there's a Tax Schedule available through the Board of Equalization website.

http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/8-25.pdf
Plushie Maker