Shoes and Boots Panel - 12pm - 1pm on Sunday!

Started by 1Fireforge, March 06, 2007, 12:42:13 PM

Would you be interested in a panel on making shoes and boots?

Yes - These Shoes Rule!!!
6 (85.7%)
No - These Shoes Suck!!!
0 (0%)
OMG, Shoes!
1 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: March 16, 2007, 01:42:13 PM

1Fireforge

Now that I've got your attention, an FYI - The panel will be held from 12pm-1pm on Sunday.  For those of you who don't want to be caught on low blood sugar, I'll probably bring some snacky things and drinks so you don't faint in my panel =)

- FF

Hey everyone, I was thinking of putting together a panel on something that is actually (in my opinion) the most difficult thing to put together for any kind of costume - footwear!  Here's a basic outline:

We all need different kinds of footgear with our cosplays, because, just like accessories, footwear makes the outfit.  Sometimes you can get pretty close to what you're looking for by hunting in stores and thift shops, but what if you need thigh high boots with funky stuff attached to it, or close fitting ankle shoes in shiny neon green?  This is the panel for you, then!  Although, because of time constraints, you won't be able to make a pair of boots or shoes at the panel, this will give you ideas on how to go about creating your own boots or shoes.  Here are some things we would touch on:

- Shoe/Boot Terminology
- To Last or Not To Last? (a last is basically a wooden shoe form)
- Shoe Materials (leather, fabric, vinyl)
- Closures (zippers, buttons, loops, laces, buckles)
- Raw Materials for construction
- Tools and Techniques
- Basic Patterns
- Q&A

If you have some materials that you'd like to get some hints on turning them (pun intended!) into boots or shoes, bring them along!  A lot of the shoemaking can be done with a sewing machine.

Let me know what you think! =P

- FF

Let's go VOLTRON force!

Lizchan33

I would have liked this last year :3
I'm making sandels for a cosplay but they are kinda funky. Kuea from elemental gelade. I'd go to this one....

Crazy_Saiko

<br />Please, PM me if you\'re curious.

1Fireforge

Real shoes >>>> Uggs!  The thing is, they're really not that hard to make, and I think that if people saw how they could make decent looking boots and shoes, they'd try to do it.  It gets you that one huge step (pun intended!) towards making your outfit that much better =)

Let's go VOLTRON force!

Crazy_Saiko

<br />Please, PM me if you\'re curious.

BunofGovt

Ooo, yes please!  I happened upon the advanced cosplay panel last year just as it was ending and the panelists/hosts were discussing crafting boots from regular shoes (involved epoxy glue or something, duct tape, newspaper, leather, not necessarily in that order).  I didn't catch all of it so may be confused about what I heard and saw.  I've been wanting to make some sort of pirate-style boot because I haven't been able to find an inexpensive pair in the style and color I want/need.
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

1Fireforge

Just an FYI - The panel will be held from 12pm-1pm on Sunday.  For those of you who don't want to be caught on low blood sugar, I'll probably bring some snacky things and drinks so you don't faint in my panel =)

- FF

Let's go VOLTRON force!

1Fireforge

Just wanted to thank everyone that came to my panel - I think I had somewhere between 25-30 people there.  For those of you who gave me emails, I'll be sending you the presentation later on (it's a bit large though).  Feel free to contact me at any time to ask any shoe/boot related questions! =)

Let's go VOLTRON force!

Kandybar

Oh man - I'm sorry I missed it - unfortunately it conflicted with the Bleach gathering.  :cry:  I wouldn't mind the presentation either.

1Fireforge

Sure, no problem...let me know your email and I'll include you in the group of recipients.

Let's go VOLTRON force!

Kandybar

Okay - I shall attempt to PM it to you.  Let me know if you don't get anything.  Do you have a cosplay.com account?  If all else fails I can send it to you over there.

1Fireforge

Got it...I'll probably send the presentation to everyone on the list this evening when I get home. =)

Let's go VOLTRON force!

Kandybar