room registering with debit?

Started by EHS, March 08, 2007, 12:44:49 PM

EHS

I am trying to reserve rooms for our fanime group, but can I use a debit card in place of a credit card?

M

Quote from: "EHS"I am trying to reserve rooms for our fanime group, but can I use a debit card in place of a credit card?

I believe your Debit Card would be charged as a Credit Card.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

BrightHeart76

So long as your Debit card has a VISA or MasterCard symbol on it you should be fine.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Gwydion

I have a Debit Check Card, and I reserved our room under it. It accepted the number, so I think it's fine. As long you actually have a checking account and not just savings. I still don't have a credit card, so I use my check card for everything and haven't had any problems so far. ^^

Mordyan

I have use a debit card for the last three years to reserve my room and pay for it with no problems.

Just remember that they will put a hold on your card if you use it to check in. They reserve the room amount plus extra, to cover additional charges. You can ask the hotel check-in how much they are putting on hold on your card. I always kept my spending money separate so there was no issue.

FanFicGuru

Yeah, the deposit is typically the following formula:

Total cost of room+ ($50 X # nights staying)

So, if you're staying for 3 nights, then your 'hold' would be the room total +150 dollars.

They send it back to your account within 1-2 business days after checkout, so by wednesday it should be back in your account...but take that into consideration. If you don't have enough on your card to cover the room+hold, THEY WILL NOT LET YOU CHECK IN.

You'll have to use someone else's card in that case. So yeah, important to know.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

yillfu

i've never had to pay a deposit on my rooms when i travel.  then again i've never stayed at a hotel on a severely heavy hotel week.  i've always given my credit card number to reserve a room and they never charge it.  at check in you have to give them a card to charge for the room, doesn't matter if it's your reservation card or your amex.  

be careful, though.  read the fine print on the hotel website about not cancelling your reservation if you no-show.  they may charge your card because you didn't tell them you're not coming.  

the only other instance i can think of why they would charge you up front for your room when you reserve it is if you are paying an online/special rate that you are locking in with no refunds and stuff like that.  a regular room rate has cancel privileges and is usually 10 bucks or so more expensive than the discounted instant rate.
zomg play! is coming to fanime 2007!

FanFicGuru

Quote from: "yillfu"i've never had to pay a deposit on my rooms when i travel.  then again i've never stayed at a hotel on a severely heavy hotel week.  i've always given my credit card number to reserve a room and they never charge it.  at check in you have to give them a card to charge for the room, doesn't matter if it's your reservation card or your amex.  

be careful, though.  read the fine print on the hotel website about not cancelling your reservation if you no-show.  they may charge your card because you didn't tell them you're not coming.  

the only other instance i can think of why they would charge you up front for your room when you reserve it is if you are paying an online/special rate that you are locking in with no refunds and stuff like that.  a regular room rate has cancel privileges and is usually 10 bucks or so more expensive than the discounted instant rate.

It doesn't say it on the site specifically, but I know that there is a 50 dollar a night deposit charge that is refunded a few business days after you check out. This is mainly for any incidentals you may incur while at the room, such as eating out of the minibar, phone calls, etc.

Some hotels may not do it, but I know a good deal of them do. So, just be prepared to have 150 (50 dollars per night for 3 nights) dollars taken out of your account on top of the room charge if you're putting it down on your card. If the room is going to cost 325, they will charge 475, but when the actual charge goes through it will just be 325.

If you don't have it, they won't let you check in...they do charge you upon check in.
Swap meet staff - 2014

M

Some hotels put a hold, some don't. I've been to hotels that have put a hold on my Debit/Credit Card for the full amount + deposit and some that didn't.

It's good policy (at least for me) to ask in advance so you will know if you need to have extra cash on you or not.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Moonblossom

I know it varies from hotel and chain, but the Hilton & Towers in Anaheim last year at AX didn't charge a hold or deposit when I stayed there. So there's a good chance the Hilton & Towers in San Jose likely doesn't either, but I don't know about the rest of the hotels.

FanFicGuru

Quote from: "Moonblossom"I know it varies from hotel and chain, but the Hilton & Towers in Anaheim last year at AX didn't charge a hold or deposit when I stayed there. So there's a good chance the Hilton & Towers in San Jose likely doesn't either, but I don't know about the rest of the hotels.

I've stayed at the Hilton by Fanime before, and the marriott. They both charge deposits...which is what I've been trying to say the whole time. lol
Swap meet staff - 2014

Moonblossom

Oh, heh. Sorry ><'' I misunderstood.

When you said "Some hotels may not do it, but I know a good deal of them do." it sounded like you weren't sure about these particular ones since it's a sort of generalized statement. Not "Some hotels may not do it, but I know these ones do." which would have been totally clear that you were speaking from experience about prior Fanime hotels.

It's bizarre that some Hiltons would and some wouldn't. Heh.

FanFicGuru

Quote from: "Moonblossom"Oh, heh. Sorry ><'' I misunderstood.

When you said "Some hotels may not do it, but I know a good deal of them do." it sounded like you weren't sure about these particular ones since it's a sort of generalized statement. Not "Some hotels may not do it, but I know these ones do." which would have been totally clear that you were speaking from experience about prior Fanime hotels.

It's bizarre that some Hiltons would and some wouldn't. Heh.

I agree that it's odd, sorry if I didn't make myself clear before.

All of the hotels I've stayed at here, on the east coast and in Vegas have all charged deposits, and again, staying at both of these hotels before I know that they charge deposits.
Swap meet staff - 2014

Barnes

I'm scared to use my debit card. XD
Question:Will the Hilton hotel accept this giftcard as a form of payment?

https://www.vanillavisa.com/gcreports/learnmore.jsp

I have one and I need to know if the Hilton will accept it. It will help me alot if the Hilton does.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

BrightHeart76

Quote from: "Barnes"I'm scared to use my debit card. XD
Question:Will the Hilton hotel accept this giftcard as a form of payment?

https://www.vanillavisa.com/gcreports/learnmore.jsp

I have one and I need to know if the Hilton will accept it. It will help me alot if the Hilton does.

Honestly, unless someone on the board works at the San Jose Hilton and knows their policies, we can only guess.  Contact the Hilton and ask them.  Their job is customer service and they'll know the policies best.  I hope it works out well for you.   :D
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

FanFicGuru

Yes, Hilton will accept Prepaid gift cards. However, they will only accept them at the time that you check OUT of the hotel, not upon check IN. (Unless your gift card is enough to cover your stay plus 150 dollar deposit [based on a 3 night stay])

For example, if you tried to check in using a 100 dollar prepaid gift card, they would deny you because as it has been discussed, you need the full amount + 50 dollars per night charged onto an actual credit or debit card with visa or mastercard logo (or American express, etc.) However, once you are checked in and it comes time to check out, you can use the gift card at the time of payment.

I am fairly certain of this, as the prepaid visas are processed like a normal visa card and that Hilton and Marriott both accept Visa.
Swap meet staff - 2014

Barnes

Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes