Water/Squirt guns?

Started by VictimX, March 10, 2007, 01:06:13 PM

VictimX

I know i posted this some time back but I can't seem to find the post so I post this again. So my question again, would these vintage 80's water/squirt guns be oka for the con if I don't fill them with water and cap the end with a blazing orange plug?

luckyends

i dont think so because they look to realy
in the rpeviosue fanime book they say if you cant tell if its realy or not from like 30 feet away in a dim room ur not alowed to have it so id say no sorry
Cosplay Fanime 09
White & Red Ninja- 100%
Tuxedo mask - Sailor moon - 100%
Ginji- GetBackers 100%
Captain Kuro - one piece 100%

Asa_Gohan

its allowed. As long as it has that tip and you have it peace bonded

This sig isnt true anymore...I have to wait for a bit...

XpHoBiaX

I have two squirt guns. That is what they look like.  How do you peace bond that?

I know I know, supid question...

luckyends

whered u get em my friends drooling over my screan on those
Cosplay Fanime 09
White & Red Ninja- 100%
Ginji- GetBackers 100%

VictimX

Quote from: "luckyends"whered u get em my friends drooling over my screan on those

Do you speak of mine or XpHoBiaX cause you posted at the very same minute? Also a comparison from water guns to airsoft.

SuperKawaiiNeko

IF the tip is orange you *MAY* be able to get away with it. But only if your costume was super badass and really needed the guns to be "complete." You cant just run around in streets and expect them to allow you a gun, or dress up in standard camos and call it a cosplay.

Also make double dog sure you get it peacebonded. Take it to Con Ops and ask someone working the desk to peacebond it. They will examine it, and if they say it's ok they'll stick a brightly colored thingie on it.

There is a chance that, even with the orange tip, they'll be deemed too realisitc and be denied. The only way to know is to try ^_^
President, Moldimort Inc.
A new division of Neko-Spaz enterprises worldwide
I mocked Haru! Ask me how!

Attendee 1998-2001 Volunteer 2002-2008 Swap Meet Staff 2009
Head of Volunteers 2010

VictimX

Well this is one of the things I might be wearing to the con but this one needs no guns to help the look however I wont show the other cosplay HUNK that I want the guns for.

SuperKawaiiNeko

Again, all I can say is go to con ops in full costume and ask them to peacebond it. Con Ops has final say in what is and is not allowed. Anything anyone likely to post on here tells you is little more than speculation.

Head of Volunteers 2010

VictimX

I understand I just thought that maybe someone who works the Con ops might see this and give me a heads up on a maybe or not. I wont be using that UZI looking one as it dosen't go with anything I'm wearing I'll be using (hopefully) the larger looking rilfe ones, maybe they don't look so real and with some blazing orange they'll oka but as you said I'll just have to wait and see for their say.

luckyends

Quote from: "VictimX"
Quote from: "luckyends"whered u get em my friends drooling over my screan on those

Do you speak of mine or XpHoBiaX cause you posted at the very same minute? Also a comparison from water guns to airsoft.
yes yours
Cosplay Fanime 09
White & Red Ninja- 100%
Ginji- GetBackers 100%

VictimX

Alittle from here and there the picture says where.

Dagger-6

All of those are extremely realistic looking: micro/mini uzis, a TEC-9, and I can't pin the last model ....but you get the point.  I'm guessing it's going to be a no, but if no higher-up staff drops in their two cents before sunday, I'll try and remember to ask at the staff meeting for you. =)

Maybe have a backpack or such so you can keep the water guns contained and out of sight, then when it's photo op time, just have a rover supervise for the few minutes or so of picture taking.  When you're finished, pack them up out of sight again.

Dunno, hopefully something can be worked out, because it does kinda suck for the military themed costumes to be unarmed.

PS While you should have them anyways, realistically the orange tips don't really do much.  Maybe if you spray painted the entire gun or a much larger portion of it.  But of course, it's a catch-22 in that you'd have to make it look NOT like a weapon, which of course makes it kind of less useful for photo ops...

SuperKawaiiNeko

Quote from: "trooper715"Maybe have a backpack or such so you can keep the water guns contained and out of sight, then when it's photo op time, just have a rover supervise for the few minutes or so of picture taking.  When you're finished, pack them up out of sight again.

Hmm, this is actually a pretty good idea. I like it ^_^

Since youre in riot gear, have you considered something besides a firearm? Like a baton or a nightstick?

Head of Volunteers 2010

VictimX

Well like I mentioned with the riot picture that cosplay needs no type of gun prop as I will be carrying a riot shield and a plastic baton toy (not the real baton pictured) if they allow it but its when I go as HUNK from RE I hope that they will allow one of the above water guns. I wanted to do a Jin-Roh soldier but i lacked several things and time to finish. I do have a back up that was allowed last time, its a 1/2 scale toy gun from the flea market black but with alot of orange like the barrel, triger, slide action, selector switch and other smaller parts, I just hope they oka my first pick.

random_idiot

Okay, I've e-mailed staff TWICE about the concern about airsoft guns (and all mine have orange tips) and I have not heard anything about whether they can be brought or not.  No "official" word.  All I keep hearing is this "maybe" or "probably not because it doesn't look good" or "of course" but definitive answer.

My costume is an RE Umbrella Soldier (generic, no specific character) so I have a tact vest, three holsters and a whole lotta extra mag pouches along the belt...and will look VERY incomplete without any guns.  Now I have a M4 RIS, Glock 17, M92 Beretta and USP Standard.  I can understand the M4 being a little too conventional and not quite something that wants to be out in the public but everything else is holstered.

And peace-bonding?  Does that mean I actually have to gut the gun?  I mean, I could take the slide off and remove the barrel but then you're not gonna have a barrel and that looks dumb for pictures and what not.  Does the con have some sort of issue where you can walk up to the staff and say "hey, this is an airsoft gun, can you inspect it and just put some zip tie over it?"  that's what we did at Sakura Con for weapons.  Any weapon that didn't have some type of ziptie on it was considered dangerous so you had to have one on.  That's not too bad for pictures but taking out the whole barrel or a piece of the gun is kind of dumb to me (yes, I understand the "legal issues").

So in essence, can someone give me an actual FORMAL and OFFICIAL response to this?  And find out why the staff has not answered me in over 2 months?
~Random: Pissing the world off one person at a time~

Dagger-6

http://forums.fanime.com/viewtopic.php?t=4553&highlight=weapons+policy

There's the link to the 2006 weapons policy.

There shouldn't be any major changes to 2007's policy, but again, I will make sure to get clarification on this issue at this Sunday's staff meeting.

Peace bonding does NOT mean you have to gut the gun.  You may be required to peace bond (i.e. zip-tie) it into a holster so that it can't be removed.

QuoteI can tell you that if we have the man power to do so, we will put staff members with the training to do peace bonding around the designated photo areas. These staff members would be able to remove your peace bonding and then put a new one on after the pictures. These staff members should also be able to control and crowd control issues.

Rovers should have additional zip-ties on hand for these situations, but for the initial peace-bonding and okay from the staff you are probably required to go to the main office:
QuotePlease go directly to either the Rovers office or the peacebonding table on the main convention center concourse and one of our trained staffers will be pleased to assist you in taking care of this matter.

This would be so that the higher-ups/department head can personally take a look at what you're proposing to carry instead of just any staff-member okaying it.

Speaking of holsters...I wonder where my Makarov holster went.....

random_idiot

Thank you Trooper, that actually clarifies much better than the random responses I've been getting lately and I really appreciate it.  From what it sounds like you can walk around with them as long as you are not "posing" a threat (IE holstered guns or guns slung over your shoulder behind you and pointed down).  Also all my holsters have guards on them to preven the weapon from being pulled out accidentally or falling out (as I will point out to the con staff when I come).  So thank you again for that info, it is really appreciated.
~Random: Pissing the world off one person at a time~

Dagger-6

Just an update:

For now, there are no official changes from the 2006 policy, so go by that for now, and if anything does eventually change, it will get posted here.

Okay, I'm going to sleep now.

Ayanami Rei First Child

The only problem with peace bonding is that I've never seen rovers carry those ties...FanimeCon has SAID they have people to remove the ties for you and tie them back...but I have yet to see it. It'd probably be a real pain.