Church Service

Started by zoupzuop2, April 23, 2007, 09:01:13 PM

PyronIkari

Quote from: "hellangel"*cough I'm Catholic cough* Haha.

Interesting idea. I think something like this happened at AX06 and went rather well? I didn't go, but was impressed by the number of people who did. ^__^

I wouldn't mind attending a general get-together of spiritual-whatever-ness in some random room of the con-center =]

Irony... too... strong...

hellangel

Quote from: "PyronIkari"Irony... too... strong...

Isn't it, though? I'm a...liberal Catholic...*falls over laughing*
But, really, it's not the middle ages anymore o_O"

If you're interested, I'm also officially Buddhist.

Honestly, though, I don't think it really matters WHAT you are (I, personally, don't like to define myself that way). Universal truths are more important than squabbling about exact doctrines -__-"

But, let's not get into a religious battle/discussion here...I'm super accepting of other people, but I can see how this can turn out nasty, this being an open forum and all...^^"

Sorry for the digression o__o;;
Upcoming events:

YCon | PMX | ALA | AOD | Fanime | AX

otakuapprentice

no matter how you spin it, it's all religion; it's all good.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

hellangel

Quote from: "otakuapprentice"no matter how you spin it, it's all religion; it's all good.

well said ^__^
Upcoming events:

YCon | PMX | ALA | AOD | Fanime | AX

Chun

I'm going to be very frank in this elaboration of my previous post.

Religion is a choice, and people are free to believe in their own beliefs.

However, to subjugate that atmosphere in a public place free of such social integrity creates unbearable tension. It's equivalent to having a mass at a giant 100 man lan party, or having a bell ring three times every con day to tell those affiliated with that religion to pray. What happens at an event defines the image of the event.

I hate religious services at multi-racial/cultural public areas without prior consent or when they don't belong in that area.

Having a mass or devoted area of con to a religion suggests it is a priority/goal of the event. A con escapes the social bounds. It is a focus of the anime world, anime affilated people, anime works and prospects.

Have your spirituality as you like, but don't dare bring it to the middle of the con floor or other rooms. It's inconsiderate for those who don't follow that same faith.

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

FinalShadows

What if I'm Buddhist? o_O

Maybe we have some time of gathering to celebrate religions in general :P
Who should I call next? The Shrimp?

PyronIkari

Quote from: "FinalShadows"What if I'm Buddhist? o_O

Maybe we have some time of gathering to celebrate religions in general :P

THat's formula for disaster.

I have no problem with religions, of any kind... people should be allowed to have their beliefs, whatever they may be... but they shouldn't be combined with certain things. A christian/catholic service or gathering at Fanime would cause problems no matter how you looked at it. If a Christian service is had, then it's cause for other religions to want to be able to hold service there. It's just an opening for problems to occur. As a follower of a religion, you should take responsibility to leave the convention and attend the needed service you have. Otherwise you're just forcing problems upon others(whether you believe so or not).

Though I stand by the irony of attending an anime convention, and wanting a catholic/christian service, seeing that so much that the culture that comes from the convention is so blasphemous/sinful to begin with.

A panel about religion in anime/games/music would be interesting, but again, as I say with all panels, I hope you know what you're talking about. Religion is a touchy subject, and one I rarely touch, because most people do not understand their own religions very well, let alone others' religions.

I don't follow a "religion" but I do have my own belief system. I was raised as a Catholic, and have done my fair share of studying on the subject(beyond just what the recent religion wants me to believe). So I understand the history of Catholicism rather well, and it annoys me quite a bit when Catholics attack me for "not understanding their religion" when they are the ignorant one on the subject... based on them only believing what they hear in church.

Cowpunk

"Now if you were to host or suggest a panel on religious themes in anime (well, like the church vs evil, testing one's faith, etc.), "

That could be very interesting.

And I am up to doing such a panel.

After all it's time I did more with my masters degree in theology in talking about anime.

Gilles - I spent years trying to understand religion in Urusei Yatsura - Poitras
Gilles Poitras
Obsession: Anime