Artists list for Musicfest

Started by kyo_kun0675, May 03, 2007, 12:12:50 AM

Long

Quote from: "soakrates`"
Quote from: "Pimpstress Rei"That's the whole problem. We don't have oh, an extra $50,000 just laying around to pay for plane tickets for the band and their entourage this close to con. Also to pay for the extra equipment, union fees - not to mention having to rearrange the schedule of every other performance we already have scheduled. It's really too much a headache to, no offense to the band(s), get some more performers for an already packed schedule.
I completely agree with you here, it just seemed that Long was saying the bands wouldn't play for that kind of money, when in fact most marginally popular underground bands probably would. Hell, they'd be stupid NOT to, since trying to make a living as a musician is already extremely difficult. And I would know. :P
When I say few thousand, I meant around 2,000-3,000 dollars. And for that money, JRR bands WON'T come, especially when you take into account their plane flight for each individual member and their roadies, their hotel accommodations, and of course money for just being there. And I was saying that the JRR bands wouldn't come for that money. I don't know where the hell you got the idea that I was talking about underground marginally popular bands. Rei had around the right number. To get a JRR band out, you'd probably need around $50,000.

soakrates`

Quote from: "Long"When I say few thousand, I meant around 2,000-3,000 dollars. And for that money, JRR bands WON'T come, especially when you take into account their plane flight for each individual member and their roadies, their hotel accommodations, and of course money for just being there. And I was saying that the JRR bands wouldn't come for that money. I don't know where the hell you got the idea that I was talking about underground marginally popular bands. Rei had around the right number. To get a JRR band out, you'd probably need around $50,000.
I think you misunderstood me. I was talking specifically about the fee just for playing the gig, not the total cost of flying the band out, renting the equipment, paying the crew etc.

Honestly though, seeing as most of the bands at JRR aren't very well-known outside of Japan or Asia, I seriously doubt they can command more than $10,000 for the show alone, and that's a very generous amount. Maybe the bigger draws like Miyavi or Yoshiki could pull down a pretty sizeable amount, but I don't see the lesser knowns like, say, Duel Jewel playing for that kind of money. There are many, even more popular bands that would gladly play for that much.

Long

Quote from: "soakrates`"
Quote from: "Long"When I say few thousand, I meant around 2,000-3,000 dollars. And for that money, JRR bands WON'T come, especially when you take into account their plane flight for each individual member and their roadies, their hotel accommodations, and of course money for just being there. And I was saying that the JRR bands wouldn't come for that money. I don't know where the hell you got the idea that I was talking about underground marginally popular bands. Rei had around the right number. To get a JRR band out, you'd probably need around $50,000.
I think you misunderstood me. I was talking specifically about the fee just for playing the gig, not the total cost of flying the band out, renting the equipment, paying the crew etc.

Honestly though, seeing as most of the bands at JRR aren't very well-known outside of Japan or Asia, I seriously doubt they can command more than $10,000 for the show alone, and that's a very generous amount. Maybe the bigger draws like Miyavi or Yoshiki could pull down a pretty sizeable amount, but I don't see the lesser knowns like, say, Duel Jewel playing for that kind of money. There are many, even more popular bands that would gladly play for that much.
I agree with you that for $10,000 for the show alone there aren't many that would decline, but $10,000 is still quite a bit more than the 2-3k I was implying when I said "few thousand dollars". And I was speaking of the total fee because that would most directly apply to bringing a band to the con, since con directors would have much more to deal with than just the cost of the show alone, and the total cost of bringing a band down is what we were discussing to begin with.

soakrates`

Quote from: "Long"I agree with you that for $10,000 for the show alone there aren't many that would decline, but $10,000 is still quite a bit more than the 2-3k I was implying when I said "few thousand dollars". And I was speaking of the total fee because that would most directly apply to bringing a band to the con, since con directors would have much more to deal with than just the cost of the show alone, and the total cost of bringing a band down is what we were discussing to begin with.
I think I got you wrong when you said the bands wouldn't come up for a "few thousand dollars." I don't think $2-3k is an unreasonable amount, really.  Lots of independent bands would probably play for that much, especially if their trip is being paid for.

TunaSalad

I consider myself a music fan more, and I always look forward to music fest.  
I got to see music fest Friday and Saturday... and I have to say, I thought the bands fcuking rocked!!!!!!!!!!

lizchan33, oh heck yeah, Camino was awesome!!