Dress Up Gathering Idea: Opera

Started by gmontem, May 07, 2007, 11:40:17 AM

To opera or not?

Yes, because I want to watch the fat (though not always fat) lady sing.
2 (40%)
No, because my momma sang a long time ago
3 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: May 07, 2007, 11:40:17 AM

gmontem

Right now I want to survey who might be interested in attending at least one opera this year at the War Memorial Opera House, located downtown SF in the Civic Center.

Opera tickets are indeed expensive but there are two inexpensive alternatives we can try -- student rush and/or standing tickets.

QuoteRush Tickets - Students, Seniors, Military
Rush tickets, if available, go on sale at 11 am on each performance day until 30 minutes prior to curtain. Call the Box Office on the day before the performance you wish to attend to check availability. Full-time students only: $25; Seniors or Military: $30. Limit two per person with current, valid ID.

Standing Room
There are 200 standing room tickets available for each performance at the War Memorial Opera House at $10 each, cash only. Tickets go on sale at 10 am on the day of each performance at the Box Office. 50 tickets are retained for sale two hours before each performance. Standees will be admitted according to their ticket numbers.

There's a big risk to relying on rush seats since it depends solely on availability, meaning no rush tickets on very popular performances since they will be sold out.  Chances are pretty good we won't be able to sit together, too.  Standing tickets require us to, guess what, stand.  I don't know if you guys fancy standing for 3 hours.  I did that and it wasn't so bad. XD;  If we get there early enough we can take over the entire row behind the last row of seats where we can lean forward, hang our coats, and so forth.  There are only two areas in the War Memorial Opera House where we can stand, on the main lower floor (better view of the two) and the balcony area (better sound stage of the two).  Unfortunately you cannot stand by the box office seats.  Tried that with a friend already lol.

2006-07 Summer Season
2007-08 Season

I'm quite interested in checking out either or a combination of Don Giovanni, Madama Butterfly, and The Little Prince.  Dammit when are they gonna do Die Walküre? XD  I thought of having us vote for the performances we're interested in but this board doesn't allow voting for multiple options.
Fanimafia Avatar of the Week #15: Barnes
The Fanimafia Gallery (2002-3, 7)

i feel so loved!

Spiritsnare

If it's not a performance of Aria di Mezzo Carattere or I Want To Be Your Canary, I'm not going. :o
epic progressive

vox

gmontem

Quote from: "Spiritsnare"If it's not a performance of Aria di Mezzo Carattere or I Want To Be Your Canary, I'm not going. :o
lawl. The Dream Oath, Maria and Draku > Aria di Mezzo Carattere, but that's just me. I'd rather watch the entire opera scene of FF6 and not just the aria section. Give Ultros that much needed love he so deserved. :P
Fanimafia Avatar of the Week #15: Barnes
The Fanimafia Gallery (2002-3, 7)

i feel so loved!

LastElixir

Just thinking about Ultro's tentacles makes me quiver.

As for the gathering, I'm not a formal type of guy, and I don't have formal wear, so I'll have to see.

j

Sunara Ishi

If I have ajob by the time this rolls around, I'll go but otherwise... i dunno.

I'll look at the links some other time...
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

Kazuko

ROOAR X3

I want to go see Madama Butterfly and The Little Prince

Krnchichiri

Ditto Kazuko. ^^

D: My mom saw Madama Butterfly without me. I got mad. >.>;;
Elizabeth [Chiri]
Registration Staff, 2007
Registration Staff, 2008

I AM AWESOME! :D

LadyKaren

Lucia di Lammermoor, Don Giovanni, or Madama Butterfly.

Pssh. If you guys don't go see it, I'm going alone. I am SO going to one of these. And I'll pay full price for the tickets too.

RyuHayabusa

Quote from: "LadyKaren"Lucia di Lammermoor, Don Giovanni, or Madama Butterfly.

Pssh. If you guys don't go see it, I'm going alone. I am SO going to one of these. And I'll pay full price for the tickets too.

I always wanted to go to the opera. But I don't have anything really formal. I can think of something though. Anyway, Madam Butterfly sounds good.
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC