SWAP MEET 2007 -- 5/19/07

Started by angeljibrille, May 16, 2007, 06:43:44 PM

angeljibrille

05/19/07:

Still a few spots left!

05/18/07:
NOTE: If you are on the pre-reg list for Friday, you do NOT need to line up for hours on end. Get there 30 minutes before, there will be a pre-reg line. We will call you in order if when you signed up on the site. So, if you are #1 on the list, you will be seated first. Thanks! :)

Updated 05/17/07:

The Swap Meet Registration is OPEN (click here)

Swap Meet Form (click here, PDF) REQUIRED (for either day!)

Eventually this will get updated on the main Fanime page, it's been submitted, but I wanted you all to get a crack at registering now. Thanks :)
Marisa
-------------------------------------

Hi everyone,

Here's the new data for the Swap Meet (CLICK HERE)

We are going to have OPEN registration on Thursday, which means you will need to get in line and first-come, first-served.

On Friday, we are going to have Pre-Registration for 25 spots (and 10 waiting list spots) which will open on Friday (5/18) and the link will be posted on this page:
http://fanime.com/events/swap_meet.html

All other spots (spaces TBD) for Friday will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.

You will be taken to your spot FASTER if you bring with you your pre-filled form, which will be posted on Friday (5/18) as well.

Finally, we are also going to look at all of your items before letting you in. Make it easy on yourself and leave all bootleg items at home. We do allow doujinshi items, but not blatant bootlegs. Also, any mature items must be contained to one clearly-marked closed box. Please see the rules for specifics. We reserve the right to prohibit any items.

Please feel free to PM me if you have questions. I'm swamped with Masquerade stuff, but I will do my best to get back to you.

THanks!

FiliKlepto

Thanks for the update!  I just wanted to point out that when you put a parenthesis after an eight, it becomes a 8), heh.  For a second, I thought that I had missed the pre-reg, but then I realized that the list couldn't possibly have been posted on the 1st since this is a new announcement.

Edit  Looks like you noticed, too!
I want death to find me planting my cabbages.
-----------------------------------------------------
Hey, you know Mop Head?  At the Fanime '04 Saturday gameshow?  I so totally named her.  ^^"

Eurobeat King

Thanks for the updates!  I think it's cool that you're doing an online-registration for the Friday night swap meet.  Is the Swap Meet room going to be in a different one than it was last year?  I recall that in 2006 it was in the video-game room, and it was really packed with people wanting to sell their stuff, so much that they lined both walls of the VG-room..  :shock:

So if there's only 25 (or more) spots, does that mean this year's swap meet will be in a smaller room?
"Freedom is the right of all sentient cosplayers."

angeljibrille

Quote from: "Eurobeat King"Thanks for the updates!  I think it's cool that you're doing an online-registration for the Friday night swap meet.  Is the Swap Meet room going to be in a different one than it was last year?  I recall that in 2006 it was in the video-game room, and it was really packed with people wanting to sell their stuff, so much that they lined both walls of the VG-room..  :shock:

So if there's only 25 (or more) spots, does that mean this year's swap meet will be in a smaller room?

It's going to be in the same room :)

It's going to be 35 spots, but we guarantee the first 25 spots (as long as you are following the rules).

The entrance is going to be at a different door. We are going to try to get there in advance to mark the door.

Eurobeat King

Quote from: "angeljibrille"
Quote from: "Eurobeat King"Thanks for the updates!  I think it's cool that you're doing an online-registration for the Friday night swap meet.  Is the Swap Meet room going to be in a different one than it was last year?  I recall that in 2006 it was in the video-game room, and it was really packed with people wanting to sell their stuff, so much that they lined both walls of the VG-room..  :shock:

It's going to be in the same room :)

It's going to be 35 spots, but we guarantee the first 25 spots (as long as you are following the rules).

The entrance is going to be at a different door. We are going to try to get there in advance to mark the door.

Thanks for the heads-up!   Signs as to which door would be the entrance would help a lot for those who wish to line-up early on either or both days. :)

edit:  yayy! I signed up for it and have the #3 spot. :)  wowww.. until 2:00am for Friday?!   :shock:   That's really generous of you & the staff to let those be there for all that time.  Hopefully there'll still be people wandering around that late. hehe
"Freedom is the right of all sentient cosplayers."

angeljibrille

Quote from: "Eurobeat King"[2:00am for Friday?!   :shock:   That's really generous of you & the staff to let those be there for all that time.  Hopefully there'll still be people wandering around that late. hehe

*cough* My husband would be #1 on the list ^_^;; (He's basically manning the "staff" space for all of the Swap Meet staffers) So, yeah, I'm actually doing it for ME! *bwahaha* Actually, we are selling our stuff to raise funds for our rabbit rescue (http://www.rabbit.org/) so it's all good.

This is also sort of part of Fanime's attempt to "give people something to do" after hours, which was one of the biggest complaints last year. :)

Basically, the way it's going to work is that you are welcome to stay there while the game room is open. If they close (which may be before 2am...) they are going to kick us out. I suspect what will happen is that the die-hards will stick around until they kick people out, but the majority of people will be gone by 12am.

Thursday may be dead though, I'm expecting a lot of people to go see Pirates.

I hope the pre-reg works out for everyone, we thought it would make it easier if people knew they had a space and that way they don't haul all their crud down and not make it in.

We expect we will be able to seat 35 spaces total, possibly a few more.

RyuHayabusa

Oh sweet. I'm number 16 on the pre-reg list. :D I'll be there early :D
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

animeangelfish

for Thursday-

What time will line up start and where, if you don't mind me asking? I'm sorry if I missed it up there in the post.

Also, if we're sharing a space with a friend, the 20 dollars is for overall, not for both is it?

Cosplay 2013: Fem!Reno, River Song (Melody Malone), Hipster!Ariel
Attendee since 2005

Kimiko

How large are the spaces (in feet / inches? lol )

Since we can't bring our own tables/chairs, will those be provided for us? Or will we just be on the floor? ^^

Thank you!
2009 Costumes
Pita Ten ~ Shia
Rozen Maiden ~ Hina Ichigo
Gijinka Pokemon ~ Plusle
Salt5 ~ Abe Natsumi

Miyori

I am curious, what can and can't be sold? I wanted to sell some video games, statues/figures, and manga. And also would we be allowed to sell cosplay-related items, ie. costumes, acessories, or props?

angeljibrille

Quote from: "Duo"for Thursday-

What time will line up start and where, if you don't mind me asking? I'm sorry if I missed it up there in the post.

Also, if we're sharing a space with a friend, the 20 dollars is for overall, not for both is it?

Yes, $20 per space, 2 people max per space :)

So it's $10/person if you look at it that way.

Please only pre-reg ONE person though if you are doing this...

angeljibrille

Quote from: "Kimiko"How large are the spaces (in feet / inches? lol )

Since we can't bring our own tables/chairs, will those be provided for us? Or will we just be on the floor? ^^

Thank you!

Hrm... I don't know how to describe it if you weren't there last year. But, basically we are giving you like an 8ft / 6ft space? Sorta? That's just me guessing. We measure it based on these weird things that are up on the walls for the length of the space. There isn't a measured space (and I don't think we are allowed to put down tape, so that's why we use the "caps" up on the walls).  All of your merchandise IS on the floor. We suggest bringing a sheet to put down on the floor, as it helps you define your space, and keeps you and your stuff clean.

We (for sure) aren't allowed to bring tables, but you are welcome to bring a small chair because I know how painful it is to sit on the floor. Something like a folding beach chair, or camping chair, or one of those things people sit on while in line is fine. Please do not bring heavy metal folding chairs.

Marisa

angeljibrille

Quote from: "Miyori"I am curious, what can and can't be sold? I wanted to sell some video games, statues/figures, and manga. And also would we be allowed to sell cosplay-related items, ie. costumes, acessories, or props?

All of this is fine.

What can't be sold?
- illegal stuff
- bootlegs
- non-anime or related merchandise (like a pr0n booth :P  or selling American DVDs, Avon, Star Wars Memorabila, etc.)

Basically if you have model kits, anime dvds, j-pop music, Transformers the movie poster, doujinshi, a boxset of LOST, and cosplay items... that's fine. You can sell a mix of stuff, as long as most of it is anime (or related) stuff.

If you are selling 90% Harry Potter merchandise, and 10% Pirates of the Carribean items, and a couple of anime DVDs... we are going to be a bit weirded out and probably not accept your stuff. This is an anime con after all.

FiliKlepto

Quote from: "angeljibrille"05/19/07:
Also, any mature items must be contained to one clearly-marked closed box. Please see the rules for specifics. We reserve the right to prohibit any items.

Just checking, but are we allowed to bring more than one box of mature items?  We'll have all the items covered, but I just want to make sure that we can bring everything we intend.

No American DVDs allowed [re: above post]?  Not even sci-fi related?  Because I've got a Buffy box set I've been trying to get rid of, and if the majority of our merchandise is anime related, is having a few American items allowed at all?

Can we have friends watch our space?  Six hours, even if we don't stay the entire time, is still a long time; I'd like to take an hour's break for dinner and whatnot.

Also, can we bring food into the swap meet?

Thanks for fielding all our questions. I'm really excited!  :3
Hey, you know Mop Head?  At the Fanime '04 Saturday gameshow?  I so totally named her.  ^^"

angeljibrille

[quote="FiliKlepto]
Just checking, but are we allowed to bring more than one box of mature items?  We'll have all the items covered, but I just want to make sure that we can bring everything we intend.[/quote]

Sorry, no, just one box. Max Size should be about the size of Comic Book Long Box.

[quote="FiliKlepto]No American DVDs allowed [re: above post]?  Not even sci-fi related?  Because I've got a Buffy box set I've been trying to get rid of, and if the majority of our merchandise is anime related, is having a few American items allowed at all?[/quote]

Yes, as I stated before in this thread, a few American / foreign items is fine as long as the majority of your stuff is within the rules.

[quote="FiliKlepto]Can we have friends watch our space?  Six hours, even if we don't stay the entire time, is still a long time; I'd like to take an hour's break for dinner and whatnot.[/quote]

Um... an hour? Probably not. You should eat before coming and bring food/water/snack with you. There are restrooms right in there, so if you had a friend take over while you went to the bathroom, that's fine. But, no, a non-registered person is not OK. If you want someone to take over for that long, they need to fill out a form and be the 2nd person on your space.

[quote="FiliKlepto]Also, can we bring food into the swap meet?[/quote]

Yes. Not for sale, but to eat personally is fine.

[quote="FiliKlepto]Thanks for fielding all our questions. I'm really excited!  :3[/quote]

Np :) have fun!

FiliKlepto

Sorry, no, just one box. Max Size should be about the size of Comic Book Long Box.

If you have two people splitting a spot, can there be one per person?

I don't understand how we ended up with so much adult material.  It's not mine, I swear! XD

angeljibrille

Quote from: "FiliKlepto"

I don't understand how we ended up with so much adult material.  It's not mine, I swear! XD

Sorry, only one box per space. This is so that it's easy for our staff to do our rounds and check on what's going on.

This is better than previous years where NO hentai stuff was allowed ^^;;

FiliKlepto

Quote from: "FiliKlepto"

Sorry, only one box per space. This is so that it's easy for our staff to do our rounds and check on what's going on.

This is better than previous years where NO hentai stuff was allowed ^^;;

Ah, I see.  I guess I'll PM you about our situation then, as I don't want to bother anyone with the mountain of graphic manga sitting in my dorm hallway.

Aya Brea

Are the spaces about the same as last year?  Is it two sellers per space, two per purchase of either a half of full space, or two human beings occupying a space period?  

I signedup for one space for Friday since two spaces would be too much for us (and we didn't want to be a space hog), but we have three people in our group, two of which actually have things to sell on Friday so it's not that we'll have too much stuff.  Space wise, last year I split a spot on Friday and the two girls next to me had a half space... so there were three of us in one full space and we managed okay.  Please clarify.

angeljibrille

Quote from: "Aya Brea"Are the spaces about the same as last year?  Is it two sellers per space, two per purchase of either a half of full space, or two human beings occupying a space period?  

I signedup for one space for Friday since two spaces would be too much for us (and we didn't want to be a space hog), but we have three people in our group, two of which actually have things to sell on Friday so it's not that we'll have too much stuff.  Space wise, last year I split a spot on Friday and the two girls next to me had a half space... so there were three of us in one full space and we managed okay.  Please clarify.

Uh... you managed to confuse me with this question?

Basically, 1 space costs $20 and you can share your space with one other person. There will technically be no "half" spaces per se. You would never have 3 people in one space, only 2.  I'm not sure how I can be clearer than that ^_^;;