"I'd Like to Keep My Pants Please, Ma'am"

Started by PurePlummet, May 22, 2007, 11:09:06 PM

PurePlummet

Hi all. I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. We all know Fanime is just around the corner, and I'm uber pumped. My friends and I can't have a conversation without screaming "FANIME!" every few words, even if the topic is completely unrelated ¬_¬;; Anyway, I've been going to a ton of discussion boards to read about what people have done at cons in the past, and I've come across some verryyy strange stories. I hear(read) that people get hit on, glomped, and tackled (especially when they're in cosplay), and I've even heard one story where one person got his pants stolen by a group of squee-ing fangirls.

I just want to know, how often does this really happen? (I'm especially worried about the pants-stealing, if you couldn't tell by the title...)

This is actually going to be my second Fanime (or, actually, second convention overall) but the first time hardly counts since I didn't cosplay, had a headache the entire time, and barely went to anything.
Soon after, I discovered the boards, and, after reading them, I felt like I missed a lot. Ever since, I've been preparing for this year's and I'm hoping it'll be really fun :] That question's just been bothering me for a long time.

Thanks in advance for your responses :)
Cosplay Pics ---> +LimitlessEdge+

YoureMyHiro

Welcome, nice to have you out of hiding.

Things like that happen quite often, it just depends on where you are and who you are next to at any given moment. Ive had my fair share of adventures, dare I ask, what would you do for Pocky? However, everything is in good fun and most people wont do anything to actually hurt you, at least not on purpose.

Be ready for anything and a good time, because when you least expect it, expect it.

Mei

I can totally relate to you! I only attended Fanime for two days last year, even though I was registered for the whole weekend, and all I did was mostly walk around the dealer's room. ...Huge mistake.

In a few days, you and I will be attending not only our second Fanime, but also our second anime convention! Woot ^_^ I'm not too worried about glomped or getting my pants stolen (I'm always with at least one friend). I didn't receive anything last year, except for a few requests from a certain stranger for a hug. I'd laugh if I were to get hit on, because it usually doesn't happen too often for me.

Sorry, I had no bit of advice for you.

VictimX

Quote from: "PurePlummet"...I've even heard one story where one person got his pants stolen by a group of squee-ing fangirls...

LoL, I'd pay to see that, but I must say glomping is a everyday part of con life but the stealing of pants by fan girls,  :lol: ... priceless.

AnimeEmperor

They're girls, if they want your pants you should just give them to them. It would be rude not to.

K&K4ever

the pants getting stollen is not that comen,(HA :lol: HA :lol: HA :lol: HA :lol: HA :lol: HA :lol: HA :lol: although I would pay to see it) but there are some crazy (and When I mean crazy, I mean "get them into a strait jacket NOW!!" kind of crazy) fans there. :shock:

1 even followed my freind all across the con because she was dressed as Soujirou (RK)
The sun was raising up above the high
and dense entangled spider's web.  The dew
was dripping from the silky strings and down
through canopy to underbrush.  It splashed
the puddle making one more fountain spring.

IamTetsuo

This reminds me of a time that a bachelorette group asked me for my underwear at a bar...

K&K4ever

Quote from: "IamTetsuo"This reminds me of a time that a bachelorette group asked me for my underwear at a bar...

:shock:

you got some weird freinds :?

IamTetsuo

Quote from: "K&K4ever"
Quote from: "IamTetsuo"This reminds me of a time that a bachelorette group asked me for my underwear at a bar...

Hehehe they weren't my friends, they just asked me if they could have my underwear, something about a bachelorette scavenger hunt list they were trying to complete.

K&K4ever

Quote from: "IamTetsuo"
Quote from: "K&K4ever"

Hehehe they weren't my friends, they just asked me if they could have my underwear, something about a bachelorette scavenger hunt list they were trying to complete.

OK then.

that was one freaky scavenger hunt

PurePlummet

Hahaha. Thank you all for the advice and laughs XD

It's really cool knowing that there's someone out there who can relate, Mei ^__^ Yeah, last year, I also got asked by a stranger for a hug. Twice. By the same person O.o Anyway, it'd be cool if we met (and somehow miraculously recognized) each other at the con XD
Cosplay Pics ---> +LimitlessEdge+

K&K4ever

Quote from: "PurePlummet"Anyway, it'd be cool if we met (and somehow miraculously recognized) each other at the con XD

Hay, it's happened before :lol:

Mei

It'd be a miracle, indeed, seeing as we're both kind of lurkers and just starting to post. Perhaps if you find some transgender Dark Link with "Mei" on her badge (though you'd have to be very close to read it), feel free to say hi! However, I'm terribly shy, so I'm sorry for any bad first impressions.

K&K4ever

Hay, don't worry about it. just act like you do on the forum. :)

Sen

I don't know. I rarely see stuff like that happen and I haven't had any experience with it myself. Fanime is a pretty big convention so you'll get all kinds of people. Just keep an open mind and an eye out for your personal well-being.
Claudia

Chair Radio '15
Fan Services Division メンバーサービス共同本部長
   Member '15
   Director '10-'13
   Assistant Director '08-'09
Registration Staff '05-'07

Rette

~ Gaffer Tape is like the Force. There's a Dark Side and a Light Side and it Holds the Universe Together. ~

Member of Three Dollar Laugh Cosplay

GaMeReVoLuTiOnX

Quote from: "YoureMyHiro"Things like that happen quite often, it just depends on where you are and who you are next to at any given moment. Ive had my fair share of adventures, dare I ask, what would you do for Pocky?
Hmm..what did you do for Pocky btw? :P

To the TC, it's an adventure.  You signed for it once you registered. :P

--Official NotN HoboRave DJ :D --
-Fanime SOS of 2008- ^^

LordKefka

Yeah during a staff meeting, we had another staffer complain about some person at the con last year who went around hugging random people and whatever....

But please.. no weapons.. this includes ninja stars, blow darts, steam roller, lance of longinus... etc etc...

In general, no, you won't get your pants stolen unless someone has a death wish. Those people mentioned probably were friends of the victim.

ps- I came into here thinking you were talking about some hentai quote...>_>;;
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

K&K4ever

I have met people at the con that I first met on the forum. It's not that hard if you know what Photo shoot they'll be at. :P

. . . hentai quote  
:lol:

HarpB

Quote from: "PurePlummet"Hahaha. Thank you all for the advice and laughs XD

It's really cool knowing that there's someone out there who can relate, Mei ^__^ Yeah, last year, I also got asked by a stranger for a hug. Twice. By the same person O.o Anyway, it'd be cool if we met (and somehow miraculously recognized) each other at the con XD

So I cant hug you?  :evil: