So...who wants to staff/volunteer in '08?

Started by heeroyuy135, June 02, 2007, 10:35:05 PM

Misao

Reikon

I want to try it this year, but I haven't decided what department.
2008-09 E-gaming staff

Reinna

I plan on participating in staff this year, probably volunteers, and I've talked with the head about it.  Still, we'll all have to wait til January to sign up. XP

Other departments look cool too.  *eyes wistfully*  I don't think I'll have time to do anything else though.

Sen

Claudia

Chair Radio '15
Fan Services Division メンバーサービス共同本部長
   Member '15
   Director '10-'13
   Assistant Director '08-'09
Registration Staff '05-'07

Spiritsnare

I'll probably just kick back this year and enjoy the con. Last time I volunteered for anything Fanime-related, I didn't really get anything out of it.
epic progressive

vox

Krnchichiri

Elizabeth [Chiri]
Registration Staff, 2007
Registration Staff, 2008

I AM AWESOME! :D

yamaneko

Go Rovers! x3 (Although we're changing the name of the department >_<)
Stephie Z.
2007 - Video Programming staff
2008 - Allen Walker (D.Gray-man) / Panels staff

(list subject to change based on budget and time issues)

crazychichi

Rovers, again... or whatever the ultimate new name for our department be....
Fanime Safety on Site 2008
Fanime Rovers 2007

Lybi

Oh. I think I'm interested in staffing or volunteering this time. I guess I'll go to the staff meeting on the 10th to check it out. Anyone coming from east bay? Oh also, what are the available departments?

Edit: Oh is it too late to sign up for staffing?

Erin

It's not too late because there are still departments looking for staff.  Just scroll through the forum to see who's posted listings, or you can even email your desired department if you need any more information.
Erin
Fan Services Co-Second

zemric

no its not to late at all its just that the staff forums and stuff isn't up since the guy who does it retired (i guess you would say) from the possition
2007 attendee
2008 egaming
2009 stage zero
2010 pc gaming "head"

Krnchichiri

^^ Many departments are still looking for staff; many keep looking all the way up to perhaps a month before Fanime. It just depends on the departments themselves. If you're looking at a specific department, you can just e-mail the head and ask them if you can join along with any questions and whatever. :3
Or go to a meeting and track down the head of the department and ask. Usually they say yes fairly quickly.
[As vhg said ^^.]
Elizabeth [Chiri]
Registration Staff, 2007
Registration Staff, 2008

Moondancer

So I've been reading all about these Rovers/volunteers (Or what ever the new name is. Maybe I missed it), and I'm considering volunteering this year. Mind you the last time I volunteered at a convention I was worked like a dog from midnight to 3am the day before the con even started, and then was roused out of bed about 7:30am to go help set up the various rooms. I tell you getting less then 6 hours of sleep to go and pull out metal stands and boards to set up a art display room sucks. Then there was the line control, the general finding people you didn't even know to deliver messages, and playing impromptu security, before you even had lunch was just terrible. It was pretty much a, "You look like you can carry alot, come here and move these TVs, cases and tables." Mind you I got all the needed hours the very first night of con, as they did double hours that night. So I got something like 28 hours that day, and I only needed 24 to get my Reg back.

I'm taking it that Fanime isn't that hard on their volunteers, right?
Would folks who volunteered in earlier years say it was easy to do their jobs, and still hit things up during con and enjoy themselves?

Thanks for any feed back.

Ta,

~Juls

Krnchichiri

Moondancer- From what I heard from being a volunteer, you can ask and see which departments would need you. You don't have to work as crazy-like... and I think the requirement is [16 hours] (totally not sure, you might have to ask Volunteer's head >.>). But it's more lax than some staff positions... and instead of joining Rovers (which I assumed you did), you can try a different department instead of something that makes you do odd-end roving-like jobs.
Elizabeth [Chiri]
Registration Staff, 2007
Registration Staff, 2008

otakuapprentice

from experience in being a volunteer last year, its not that bad.

last years requirement to pay off a full weekend pass was 20 hours, and im pretty sure it'll stay like that for '08. i worked off all my hours over the first three days of the con(i would've done it in two, but two 10-hour-shifts back-to-back would have been literally overkill)

i had oddles of fun with it(friday night i used a foreign accent my whole shift, saturday was cool, and sunday night was the best, and created an idea for this years con).

you can pick where you wanna be, too. more info will probably be posted the closer we get to con-time.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

astroboy

Quote from: otakuapprentice on February 01, 2008, 10:39:51 PM
from experience in being a volunteer last year, its not that bad.

last years requirement to pay off a full weekend pass was 20 hours, and im pretty sure it'll stay like that for '08.
BTW I also remember in previous years that you could get double credit for certain types of work, for example working before con to help set up.

If you've read Harry Potter you know that the Defense Against Dark Arts class at Hogwarts school of Magic goes through a new instructor every year. The volunteer dept. at Fanime is like the same. Okay so maybe that's exaggerated. We literally do not have volunteer coordinators dropping out every year (the average is 2 years)...however everytime a new coordinator steps in, the rules change a little. I'm not sure if the person doing it this year is the same as last. Is it going to be 16 hr or 20 hr? Too early to tell for sure.

Touya no Miko

I'm looking forward into volunteering in the maid cafe. I've been attending Fanime for so long, I like to be a part of it. I heard the maid cafe needs some maids at the moment.
OMG! What the Fugnuggets is going on?!

Moondancer

I'm to tired to look right now, or just to lazy, but can you still volunteer after you Reg?

Krnchichiri

Quote from: Moondancer on February 21, 2008, 04:55:09 AM
I'm to tired to look right now, or just to lazy, but can you still volunteer after you Reg?
Yep. You can sigh up to volunteer during the Con. :3 Just go to the volunteer booth. ^^
Elizabeth [Chiri]
Registration Staff, 2007
Registration Staff, 2008