Rock Band, new info; drumkit fails horribly

Started by deepbluevibes, June 15, 2007, 01:33:18 PM

alkaline

Unfortunately, in the end, no one cares.

Rock Band is the greatest rhythm title ever created. Haters can bawwwwwwww and play Bemani all they want.

deepbluevibes

Asa_Gohan

I would only say that if they added a keyboard to the mix

This sig isnt true anymore...I have to wait for a bit...

M

Quote from: deepbluevibes on October 27, 2007, 05:08:41 AM(removed per privacy policy)
I'm grown up enough to admit that I was wrong*, despite you're immature "I told you so" post. It's OK though... One of these days, you'll grow up. :)

*Note that they made alot of changes to the gameplay/controllers since this thread was started.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

alkaline

Quote from: deepbluevibes on October 27, 2007, 04:50:31 PM(removed per privacy policy)

You're not in a position to give anyone attitude lessons. Sorry.

Also ... When was the last time I wrote anything about Pop'n Music? 2005? Grow up and find a new hobby.

deepbluevibes

Asa_Gohan

best thing to do then...slice it open, and switch out the pads

PyronIkari

Quote from: deepbluevibes on October 28, 2007, 03:36:11 AM(removed per privacy policy)
Irony much?

Quote(removed per privacy policy)
Again... Irony much? Besides being close friends with one of the leads of Rock Band, and pretty much talking to people that have been playing it for the past 4 months... I would think a few of us would know a little more than you would but...

You seem to think you know better. Curious here... have you even played rock band? I'm guessing the answer is no.

You are a prime example of why I hate bemani players. The epitome of elitism. You seem to not realize why these games even exist in the first place. PSSSST... In Guitar Freaks, and beatmania, and Pop'n, and virtually every bemani game in the world...

1 trigger plays multiple things. Lol a combination of 7 buttons represents the entire guitar scale. In DM the high hot also acts as the high tom, the open hat, the closed hat.

YOU MISS THE GOD DAMNED POINT. They're simulation games. They're for rhythm and basic understanding. Frankly, the Rock Band drum set is 93827429385732985x better than the piece of crap DM home set. Why? Because the DM homeset was about the size of both my hands side by side, because they tried to cram everything into a tiny crap space. OHNOS THE HIGH HAT IS ON THE RIGHT SIDE!?!/!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? how come in GF I hit the third key and strum, and it plays a higher note than the far key? THAT MAKES NO SENSE TO ME, THEREFORE GF IS CRAP(by your logic anyways). Most people are right handed. Most people who are not musically gifted are capable of hitting quick repeated triggers with their RIGHT HAND not their left hand. Because it functions as two buttons... it is more logical to put it on the right side for you AVERAGE PERSON.

Music games are not meant to teach you how to play instruments, or to teach you how to be proficient in music, they are fun simulations for people to mimic the act without the actual knowledge, skill, capabilities to do so. As I've said prior, I'm surrounded by people that are extremely musically talented. Guitarists, drummers, amazing violin players, opera singers...

Funny though how they suck at music games, when I'm really good at them, and can't play a damned thing in music realistically(I play the touch tone telephone pad better than I can any insturment).

So I'm glad your little elitist prick ass doesn't like Rock Band, it means... it's doing it's job... it's being fun.

Asa_Gohan

The home drumset looks like shit but the aracade machine is fucking awesome compared to the rock band one.
And what you say about guitarists is bull shit...The AVERAGE PERSON playing guitar is with the fret board in his left hand and picking/strumming with his right.  Sure people might not be GIFTED and have the ability to press buttons quickly with their left hand, but its easier to press buttons with your left hand then attempting to keep a beat with it.  ITS CALLED LEFTY FOR A REASON!
And with your logic to guitar freaks, if a note must be played higher it must go higher up on the fret board. Well how come when I play chord on guitar hero and move it up higher I cant go past the 5th fret...BUT IN THE SONG THEYRE PLAYING PAST IT! OH YEAH ITS CAUSE IM LIMITED TO A NUMBER OF BUTTONS LIKE GUITAR FREAKS!
And the fact that GF and DM were WAY ahead of its time since it was able to syc like....ROCK BAND and allow you to play with a guitarist, a bassist/rythem, and then pop on a drummer.  And before the series was discontinued, which IMO is the BEST music simulator of all time, you used to be able to pop on a keyboard making it a total of 5 people!!! And this before Rock Band...All that is missing is a singer but whatever...I prefer instrumentals anyways xD

And about music games not giving you the basics...
This is true, they arent going to make your proficient in anything but some games like drum mania, or keyboard mania will atleast give you a very good base to start off from.
But shit, I LIKE Rockband, and the only thing I really dislike is the way the drums are...

PyronIkari

Quote from: Asa_Gohan on October 28, 2007, 03:53:15 PM
The home drumset looks like shit but the aracade machine is fucking awesome compared to the rock band one.
And what you say about guitarists is bull shit...The AVERAGE PERSON playing guitar is with the fret board in his left hand and picking/strumming with his right.  Sure people might not be GIFTED and have the ability to press buttons quickly with their left hand, but its easier to press buttons with your left hand then attempting to keep a beat with it.  ITS CALLED LEFTY FOR A REASON!
I should have seperated that. I wrote that at like 3 am after getting back from a party. It was in reference to the hi-hat being on the right side of the guitar.

Yes the arcade machine lay out is pretty decent... now let's see a company package something like that in a home console game for under 450$ that won't cause the majority of the people to bitch and whine. 90% of players have to cross their arms to play repeated high-hats

QuoteAnd the fact that GF and DM were WAY ahead of its time since it was able to syc like....ROCK BAND and allow you to play with a guitarist, a bassist/rythem, and then pop on a drummer.  And before the series was discontinued, which IMO is the BEST music simulator of all time, you used to be able to pop on a keyboard making it a total of 5 people!!! And this before Rock Band...All that is missing is a singer but whatever...I prefer instrumentals anyways xD

Uh... why are you even stating this? How does it even apply to the reasoning of why Rock Band has a layout the way it is? PSSSSSST... You're being elitist with the "bemani is superior, it came first!"

And about music games not giving you the basics...
This is true, they arent going to make your proficient in anything but some games like drum mania, or keyboard mania will atleast give you a very good base to start off from.
But shit, I LIKE Rockband, and the only thing I really dislike is the way the drums are...

Actually no... the only bemani game that gave you anything to start from... was Keyboard Mania(there's a reason why it was discontinued). DM doesn't teach you how to play drums, since it's so limited and because all it teaches you is that if you hit a drum it will make a sound(which... you should already know already). It actually teaches you more advanced drumming technique than it does anything basic(pitch level basic function in rhythm).

Let's be realistic here. Why would EA make the drum set like this. You see people, this is how you are supposed to approach marketing and reasoning. You see why the company did with they did, find the logic behind their actions, and then see how it applies... afterwards criticize the pros and cons.

Rock Band will be the first home drumming game in the US(and essentially the first drumming game in general in the US). Who will be the target? In general the people who liked Guitar Hero. For the most part, Guitar Hero success wasn't with the Bemani crowd, it reached far over that to people that wanted to pick up a guitar and rock out(instead of their normal air guitar). People with no experience at all. Why did Guitar Hero do so well? Because it was extremely easy to pick up and play knowing jack shit. But was still enough to mimic the action.  I'll put it how my friend did.

"You know, Guitar Freaks felt like a simulator, but it never felt like you were really rocking out or anything, just playing a bemani game. But Rock Band totally makes you wanna jump on tables and strum all crazy like yous a real rock star."

Because of the compact size, they opted to not have as many drums and still make it relatively large so that the feeling was there(because we all know DM home version didn't feel like drumming in anyway shape or form).

Now... why is the high-hat on the right side. On songs which the high-hat are used to keep rhythm... the majority of people are right handed. It is easier to keep rhythm with the predominate hand than it is your off hand. 9/10 people being right handed... cross-over method isn't rock out able. It feels like you're playing a soft jazz drum instead of rocking the hell out while mashing the hi-hat and pounding the bass and crashing cymbals.

Putting on the left side... would be more accurate... but putting 6+6 strings on the guitar, and with two detachable, then having 14 drums would also be more accurate, but with less feel for it. You're not the target audience, so stop whining and bitching because something caters to the target audience.

Asa_Gohan

Oh yeah well...you suck! :p :3
But on a more serious note.

Well I wouldnt really say the cross over style isnt rock out able.
I have to admit, and I have always thought this, the home addition was bad
And having 14 drums? Thats a bit much @_@ Traditional is well, you should know. And if they went for accuracy, yeah they would put 6 strings on with 2 detachable.  However thats a bit too advanced for the moment...
And I wish I was one of the targeted audience, but the only thing stopping me from buying it is not having a Ps3 360.  I have a ps2 but its in a crappy condition and wouldnt trust rock band to it...Im just saying though that I wished it was on the left side, but yeah thats true, this is for people who wanna rock out.  And again, Id get this game if I could :p
EDIT: God what a poorly put together post xD

PyronIkari

Wait a few years, as it becomes more accepted and more understood, more complex things can be added slowly... it just might take a decade or so.

Asa_Gohan

and by then we'll be riding around in giant gundams :P

I already have an idea for the next guitar hero but it involves 30 buttons that slide up and down the fret board with the thumb in the back moving the 30 buttons up and down and 6 levers to act as the strings @_@
Actually...Hm....It does sound plausible...and have a program such as guitar pro to show the notes as it is going by...

M

Quote from: deepbluevibes on October 28, 2007, 03:36:11 AM(removed per privacy policy)
Uhh... You've never played Rock Band, so you can't really say what was and wasn't changed. The Drum controller has had many changes to it, but you wouldn't know because you only see what is on gaming websites.

Uhh, obviously you're referring to Jared and I with those titles, but I fail to see how I fit either (Jared can defend himself). I love music games in general (Bemani, EA's Pogo Music Games, Activision/Harmonix/etc.'s games) (which nulls the "bemani lover turned bemani-hating elitist" title) and I think that Rock Band and Guitar Hero is better than GF/DM (which nulls "the konami fanboy" title).

I won't even go into how you flamed/flame-bait everyone that has replied in this thread with your generalization of how "[no one] add some intelligence in [this thread]."

If anything, we are all on the wrong here and we shouldn't continue to argue as we just disagree with each other. Let's just wait and see how well they all do (I'll be picking up Rock Band and already am playing Guitar Hero 3).

Just to clarify, although you might think that the gameplay is stupid because each button might change from one instrument to another, Guitar Hero/Freak does this with each of it's buttons. Although this is different from Drums, it's the only way it would work without having tons of buttons (keep in mind that this would jack up the price EVEN MORE, and it's already expensive). The same is true with the controller -- I'm sure EA/Harmonix didn't want you to have to dedicate your entire [insert room where your consoles are] in order to play Rock Band (considering how big the electric drum sets required to make DM playable at home were).

gmontem

Fanimafia Avatar of the Week #15: Barnes
The Fanimafia Gallery (2002-3, 7)

i feel so loved!

M

Quote from: gmontem on October 31, 2007, 01:46:13 PM
Cross-posting FTW!

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/10/31/rock-band-kiosks-being-installed-at-best-buy/

Xbox 360 Fanboy is actually late on the news, as some Best Buy has had their Rock Band demo kiosks since early last week.

And to clarify what I was saying earlier:
Uhh... You've never played Rock Band, so you can't really say what was and wasn't changed refers to previous versions of the game (not just the final version).

Shinsengumi

I heard from one of my friends that the drums are not good. I still haven't tried it out yet so I don't know for sure.
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

alkaline

Quote from: Shinsengumi on November 06, 2007, 12:06:56 AM
I heard from one of my friends that the drums are not good. I still haven't tried it out yet so I don't know for sure.

Your friend is terribly wrong.

Shinsengumi

Quote from: alkaline on November 06, 2007, 12:12:20 AM

I'll find that out for myself
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

alkaline

Quote from: Shinsengumi on November 06, 2007, 12:14:13 AM
Quote from: alkaline on November 06, 2007, 12:12:20 AM

I'll find that out for myself

What a novel concept. Thinking for yourself.