AX licenses

Started by GokuMew2, July 01, 2007, 05:28:45 PM

GokuMew2

GAHHH~~ Two series that I'm watching got licensed at AX and it doesn't really look like the subbers I'm dling from will be continuing them..... The two I'm referring to are DARKER THAN BLACK and Gurren Lagann. *cries*
< Mew >
FanimeCon Guest Relations (2009 - Present)
Person who gets Japanese guests

BP!

Let's make it simple for everyone. A list of the licenses announced at AX instead of a short post mentioning only two.

Also, who licensed DtB?

Geneon:

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's
Shakugan no Shana OVA (Correct my spelling if wrong)

Also releasing "Chop Suey Chook"

ADV:

Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann
Devil May Cry
Kyoshiro

Bandai Visual:

Super Robot Wars: Original Generations OVA
Super Robot Wars: Original Generations ~Divine Wars~
Gunbuster vs Diebuster, Aim for the Top! The GATTAI! Movie

Right Stuf:

Victorian Romance Emma

Lost Universe will also be released in a Thinpak

If anything's missing, just add it.
Cooking is a gift from the gods, spices are a gift from the devil...looks like it was a little too spicy for you. -Sanji

senritsu

dmc didnt take too long to get picked up did it?

gah!!! darker than black liscenced? noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
very nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy.

mDuo13

I feel bad that nowadays, when a company announces it officially wants to localize a series and has contracted the right to do so (thereby paying a load of money to those who created the original property) the initial reaction from many fans is "oh no, I don't get to download it for free any more!" Maybe I'm just oldschool, but I was brought up on the idea that licensing should be cause for joy, not despair!

I mean, the way fansubbing originally worked was that some group of people  would decide, "My favorite anime series is not available in America, so all my friends who don't speak Japanese can't appreciate it. Maybe I will do a cheap translation job so they can appreciate it, and if enough people like it, they can demand that a company translates it officially!" The corollary to that is that the fansubbers do not do licensed series for a couple of reasons, mostly though that the initial justification no longer existed, but also including, "Why should I waste my time translating it if someone else is getting paid to?"

Now that digital fansubs are so widespread, though, there are other reasons to fansub a series, such as "I will surely garner lots of respect on internets and increase my ePenis," "People deserve free anime and I shall give it to them!", or even "Huh? It's licensed? Srsly?"

Now, don't get me wrong, I respect fansubs for a number of reasons, and the fact that the aren't actually a business (and are targeting a comparatively niche market) allows them to make stylistic choices that most big companies are afraid of making for fear of alienating the lowest common denominator among customers. They also have the advantage of being blazing fast compared to the translated release schedule, which is bogged down by such concerns as voice acting but also simply spread out for sales purposes, i.e. capturing more of people's wallets by not overloading them with too many possible purchases too quickly*.

*of course, this logic is dubious, but generally accepted.

The problem of course is that by now people have grown accustomed to getting their anime completely free of charge - not just incredibly cheap (i.e. the cost of a VHS tape) but actually costing nothing beyond the bandwidth they already buy to be on internet. And once people are accustomed to getting something for free, it's very hard to go back to paying for it. Doubly so when, to the most hardcore of fans, the free product is arguably higher quality than the mass-marketed official translation.

...and I've gotten pretty off-track here, so I'll post the full list of licenses from AnimeSuki here:
Flower and Stick -      Media Blasters
Gakuen Nana Fushigi -      Media Blasters
Fuyu no Seme -      Media Blasters
Haru wo Daiteita -     Media Blasters
Step Up Love Story -      Media Blasters
Angels Feather -      Media Blasters
Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru   -    Media Blasters
Ikkitousen: Dragon Destiny -      Media Blasters
Kujibiki Unbalance -      Media Blasters
Genshiken -     Media Blasters
Strawberry Panic -     Media Blasters
Aika R-16 -      Bandai
Tsubasa Chronicle 2nd Season -      Funimation
Negima!? (May or may not include the OVAs) -      Funimation
Planet of the Beast King -      Funimation
Darker than Black -      Funimation
Victorian Romance Emma  (Both seasons) -      Rightstuf
Kyoshiro (aka Kyoushirou to Towa no Sora) -      ADV Films
Gurren-Lagann -      ADV Films
Devil May Cry -      ADV Films
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's -      Geneon
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha -      Geneon
Deltora Quest -      Geneon
Shakugan no Shana OVA -      Geneon
Super Robot Wars Original Generation -      Bandai Visual USA
Gundam MS IGLOO -      Bandai Visual USA

shortpachoo

Funi license Darker than Black.

Heres some more:

Media Blasters (not sure if some of these have already been anounced):
(from AoD)
# Strawberry Panic is confirmed
# The Genshiken OVA and Kujibiki is confirmed
# The new Ikki-tosen series is confirmed
# Otome wa Boku ni Koshiteru is confirmed for license
# Golden Boy has been "license rescued"
# Angels Feather 2 episode OVA has been licensed
# A Step Up Love Story (Futari Ecchi) has been licensed
# Kite Liberator is their new co-production
# Tokyoshock has acquired Zebraman, Devilman, Hair Extension, Scrap Heaven, Redeye and several Shaw Brothers films, Crow Zero
# Yaoi side: Haru wo Daiteita, Fuyu no Seme (Winter Cicada), Gakuen Nana Fushigi, Flower and Stick
# Eiken manga seven through twelve is coming, Roses of the Rhine, I Want to be Naughty, Return to Scandalous, Crimson Spell

Funimation (from ANN):
Love Hina (re-release)
Jyo Oh Sei
Darker than Black
XXXHolic
Tsubasa (season 2)
Negima!? (season 1 remake)

Fanime 2011 Staff: ??
Tech Minion: 2004-05, 2007-10
Video Programming: 2004-06
Staffer since: '04

GokuMew2

Ya, FUNimation licensed DARKER THAN BLACK, and that's the reason why Shinsen is dropping the project. .T_T Apparently they've had trouble with FUNi in the past and don't want to risk it. I hope sudo continues but I've heard that they pulled their torrent for ep 12? (Haven't tried getting it myself.) Ep 11 was up fine though.

Also, "Fuyuno Seme" should be "Fuyu no Semi" (aka Winter Cicada). Angel's Feather is yaoi too so I'm wondering why that wasn't listed under "yaoi side," hehe.
< Mew >

GokuMew2

Er.... This somehow turned into a double post and I can't figure out how to delete it. .^^; Sorry!
< Mew >

Sunara Ishi

I feel like one should support their favorite series by buying it if they are able to... Even if it'd only sit on the shelves because the person prefers fansub...
That is unless the company has done something worthy of boycott... >.>;

I'm likely to pick up quite a few on those lists...
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

BP!

Quote from: "Sunara Ishi"I feel like one should support their favorite series by buying it if they are able to... Even if it'd only sit on the shelves because the person prefers fansub...
That is unless the company has done something worthy of boycott... >.>;

I just hope that Bandai Visual will treat SRW: OG The Animation (OVA) and SRW: OG ~Divine Wars~ right.
Cooking is a gift from the gods, spices are a gift from the devil...looks like it was a little too spicy for you. -Sanji

Tsubasa

Quote from: "mDuo13"I feel bad that nowadays, when a company announces it officially wants to localize a series and has contracted the right to do so (thereby paying a load of money to those who created the original property) the initial reaction from many fans is "oh no, I don't get to download it for free any more!" Maybe I'm just oldschool, but I was brought up on the idea that licensing should be cause for joy, not despair!

I mean, the way fansubbing originally worked was that some group of people  would decide, "My favorite anime series is not available in America, so all my friends who don't speak Japanese can't appreciate it. Maybe I will do a cheap translation job so they can appreciate it, and if enough people like it, they can demand that a company translates it officially!" The corollary to that is that the fansubbers do not do licensed series for a couple of reasons, mostly though that the initial justification no longer existed, but also including, "Why should I waste my time translating it if someone else is getting paid to?"

Now that digital fansubs are so widespread, though, there are other reasons to fansub a series, such as "I will surely garner lots of respect on internets and increase my ePenis," "People deserve free anime and I shall give it to them!", or even "Huh? It's licensed? Srsly?"

Now, don't get me wrong, I respect fansubs for a number of reasons, and the fact that the aren't actually a business (and are targeting a comparatively niche market) allows them to make stylistic choices that most big companies are afraid of making for fear of alienating the lowest common denominator among customers. They also have the advantage of being blazing fast compared to the translated release schedule, which is bogged down by such concerns as voice acting but also simply spread out for sales purposes, i.e. capturing more of people's wallets by not overloading them with too many possible purchases too quickly*.

*of course, this logic is dubious, but generally accepted.

The problem of course is that by now people have grown accustomed to getting their anime completely free of charge - not just incredibly cheap (i.e. the cost of a VHS tape) but actually costing nothing beyond the bandwidth they already buy to be on internet. And once people are accustomed to getting something for free, it's very hard to go back to paying for it. Doubly so when, to the most hardcore of fans, the free product is arguably higher quality than the mass-marketed official translation.
Ketsuron.

And IMO, since I know enough Japanese, video quality > translation quality when it comes to anime, so fansub releases cannot possibly compete with commercial releases when it comes to series I really feel like keeping in some capacity.

Of AX's announced titles, I'm gonna be buying Nanoha, Nanoha A's, Emma, Emma Second Act, and Strawberry Panic!.  Maybe Otoboku.
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

BP!

Oh yeah.

The licenses I'll be buying are Gurren-Lagann and SRW OG: Divine Wars.

I actually haven't seen ANY of Nanoha except for some clips. Maybe I should have DLed an episode or two to see what I thought of it.

Sunara Ishi

Tsubasa's list is practically my list too.. -.-; Though Otoboku is for sure...
Because I want to finish that and Strawberry Panic.
With the addition of Darker than Black and maybe Kujibiki Unbalance.

I've always been interested in Kujibiki Unbalance. Anyone know how good it is?
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "Sunara Ishi"Tsubasa's list is practically my list too.. -.-; Though Otoboku is for sure...
Because I want to finish that and Strawberry Panic.
With the addition of Darker than Black and maybe Kujibiki Unbalance.

I've always been interested in Kujibiki Unbalance. Anyone know how good it is?

Kujian is good in that cheesy kinda way.
Kuji<3an is bad in that cheesy kinda way.

...but then again, I only did give Kuji<3an one episode. Perhaps I should go further?
epic progressive

vox

zoupzuop2

Quote from: "mDuo13"Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru   -    Media Blasters
OH MY GAAAAAAAWWWWWWWW!!!

...wait. Is it a good thing that Media Blasters is picking this up or not? I don't know enough about 'em to rejoice or mourn...
...and, there's so many nuances in the show that I'm not sure if English allows! For instance, the use of "boku" ("me"-male only) would be hard to replace without being corny or straight-up obvious. And, the use of Onee-sama compared to Elder-Sister, the use of -chan, Mariya-san's "Hnn-Hnnnnn"... will they be able to pull it off?

...or is this just a sub job?  :oops:
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

LastElixir

it's a dude, he has "one". get over yourselves. wwww

j

zoupzuop2

Quote from: "LastElixir"it's a dude, he has "one". get over yourselves. wwww

j
Ouch, man, ouch. I actually happen to like the series regardless of Mizuho's presence. Mizuho just makes things... better.

At any rate, is there anything I should know about Media Blasters' approach on some of the "trickier" shows to predict for myself how they'll handle Otoboku? Or by "license" do they simply mean subtitle officially? What are the details I should know? I'm still a newbie to most of this, after all.
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

zoupzuop2

Didn't mean to kill this thread ._.

mDuo13

Quote from: "zoupzuop2"Didn't mean to kill this thread ._.
Don't flatter yourself. It died of natural causes.