Black And White Ball 2009! Updated 3/14/09 (Location Announced!)

Started by boots01, October 25, 2007, 04:56:09 AM

boots01

-Eugene
2001 Video Programming Staffer
2002 Acting Video Programming Head
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2010 Yamaga Party Coordinator
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

so much anime to watch, so little time

luckyends

this might be a very dumb question but tuxedo mask should be alright correct?
Cosplay Fanime 09
White & Red Ninja- 100%
Tuxedo mask - Sailor moon - 100%
Ginji- GetBackers 100%
Captain Kuro - one piece 100%

boots01

-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

Tarma

I missed the ball last year unfortunately, so I am really glad it's going to be back this year!  ;D I've taken ballroom lessons, actually, but a refresher course might be fun...especially if it gives people an extra chance to mingle and make friends. Or even pick up some dance partners for the night. ;)

Oh shit. I guess now I have to figure out what the hell to wear. :-\
There's no knights in shinning armour
We're all cursed, for better or worse
So do yourself a favor
Be a saviour to yourself
~Hepburn~

ovtrlan

I am definitely planning on going! Uh....I'll be going in a white suit if I can get it in time. If not, I have some nice black clothes.
When I am done with my current project, it will be amazing! :D

ArynChris

I loved the Black and White last year, but the room really was too small.  It got hot in there very quickly, and the only room to dance was in the back corner to one side of the stage--just close enough to the speakers to deafen yourself. :D  I was glad I went as Black A.C. instead of White A.C., or I'd have had to change costumes immediately afterwards.

Also, very few people attended the dance lessons, due to scheduling.  Is it possible to get several times scheduled?  Most people went Rave in there because they didn't know how else to do it.

That said... I LOVED IT!
;D

Punkbuster

This is my first Fanime, and going to be my first 'formal' dance since my Prom (back in '00, I'm old lol). This is the dress I bought:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=360017354325&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=023

And I'm going to accessorize it, Clamp-Style. XD

Dragon Ninja

Maybe I should consider going to this ball, it seems like it will be fun.

Fanime 2013:
Naruto Uzumaki (Naruto Shippuden)
Ichigo Kurosaki (Bleach)
The 9th Doctor (Doctor Who)

Downloads & Fansubs are evil. Support the Anime industry. Buy DVDs NOW

Ylliana

The moment I saw this thread, I HAD to register to participate. XD

I don't normally do much more than lurk around these sorts of things, but I LOVE ballroom dancing, and when I saw that Fanime was having a ball, like AX did previously, I was really excited. We found out about it last minute, and went shopping just so we would have the proper attire to attend. But when we got there...

Well, to say the least, we were all disappointed.

Firstly, the room was WAY too small, and poorly ventilated. (I think someone else mentioned this.) We could hardly breathe, let alone DANCE. We had to leave before we passed out. I understand that this may be because the popularity of such a ball was underestimated, so I hope this is remedied this year.

Secondly, there appeared to be NO dress code whatsoever. We saw lots of girls in GORGEOUS dresses of all kinds coming into the room all dolled up, only to look around the dance and realize that they needn't have bothered.

Thirdly, there was almost (I say "almost" only because I wasn't there the entire time, so I'll assume there must have been SOME) no ballroom music. There was only "dance" music. I don't mind a mix of current anime theme songs or pop songs that have waltz or swing beats to them, but there IS a whole other dance for that sort of music.

So basically, the Black and White Ball, while obviously a successful event, was not a BALL. It was a DANCE. I really liked the description of AWA's Ball, and I strongly urge the FanimeCon staff and organizers to look this over. Many of its rules should be put into effect.

People come to a "ball" because they want to feel elegant and grown-up. They want the chance to wear formal clothing and mingle with others who share their dream of living in another, more beautiful world, if only for a little while. Please, PLEASE, make the Black and White Ball a BALL, and not just another rave or middle-school dance.

Every single one of us will appreciate the wonderful pictures and cherished memories that will come from it.

fragiledreamer

I'd love to go to this.

And a stupid question - I keep reading that people are registering for individual events... does this mean I have to register to go to everything?... or does my Con badge get me into everything.  New to Fanime so that's throwing me a little bit. ???
Fanime 2009
Shippuden Gaara - Returning
Kazekage Gaara - Returning
Elizabeth Swann - 100%
Lil' Gaara - 5%
Formal BW Ball Gaara - 50%
Hitsugaya Toshiro - uh... i have a sword?
Tasuki? - 20%

OniCourseMusha

Quote from: fragiledreamer on February 19, 2008, 09:01:41 PM
I'd love to go to this.

And a stupid question - I keep reading that people are registering for individual events... does this mean I have to register to go to everything?... or does my Con badge get me into everything.  New to Fanime so that's throwing me a little bit. ???
You should go in when u register to fanime.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

boots01

when you register for fanime, you are granted access to all fanime events however, there is limited space at many of these events so it pays to get there early sometimes.  also, there are some events (like the masquerade) that you have to register to participate in in advance.  you do not need to register for the event itself to watch, but you do need a fanime badge.
-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

MidnightRosebud

Question: The dress I was thinking of wear is of Lolita style, but it is shorter than knee-length.
May I wear this? I have a back-up just in case, but I am most anxious to wear my first choice.
Catch the Barrel/Prize: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,10013.msg255958.html#msg255958

Cosplay 2010
~Bleach: Yadomaru Lisa
~Soul Eater: Gorgon Medusa
~Naruto (Shippuden): Hyuuga Hinata
~CardCaptor Sakura: Mirror Card
~Fairy Tail: Lucy

boots01

the main goal of knee length is so that if you bend over, you don't reveal anything you wouldn't want to reveal - this becomes especially important when swing dancing if you are doing over the back flips etc.
-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

MidnightRosebud

Quote from: boots01 on February 22, 2008, 11:52:17 PM
the main goal of knee length is so that if you bend over, you don't reveal anything you wouldn't want to reveal - this becomes especially important when swing dancing if you are doing over the back flips etc.
Ooooh. Okay. That makes perfect sense.
Thank you very much! >.<
Oh! I have another question: Is there any idea what time the ball is going to start?
(I apologize if this has been answered once before).
Catch the Barrel/Prize: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,10013.msg255958.html#msg255958

Cosplay 2010

boots01

yes.  and i should actually put that up on the website too...  the ball will start at 7 on sunday evening.
-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

MidnightRosebud

Quote from: boots01 on February 24, 2008, 01:44:20 PM
yes.  and i should actually put that up on the website too...  the ball will start at 7 on sunday evening.
Okay. Thank you very much! ^_^

Cosplay 2010

OniCourseMusha

I'm sorry??
Isn't the ball on a saturday?  I know that around sunday evening there is a Der Cosplay Masquerade which interferes the ball.
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

AbsolutelyCursed

Quote from: OniCourseMusha on February 24, 2008, 11:19:07 PM
I'm sorry??
Isn't the ball on a saturday?  I know that around sunday evening there is a Der Cosplay Masquerade which interferes the ball.

From what I've read the two events have been switched. Cosplay Masquerade on Saturday and the ball on Sunday.

OniCourseMusha

Quote from: AbsolutelyCursed on February 24, 2008, 11:41:38 PM
Quote from: OniCourseMusha on February 24, 2008, 11:19:07 PM
I'm sorry??

From what I've read the two events have been switched. Cosplay Masquerade on Saturday and the ball on Sunday.
?????? I've just read that the masquerade is on the sunday?????? Thats even more confusing??
Kraken Con Staff