Black And White Ball 2008 Updated 4/21

Started by boots01, October 25, 2007, 05:04:53 AM

boots01

Well, due to the appearant success of the Black and White Ball, by popular demand, will be back in 2008!  I would like to thank everyone who attended in 2007 and will be working very hard to make sure that 2008 is just as fun as 2007 was.  This coming year, we may see some changes to the ball however.  As many of you noticed, the room was packed for the vast majority of the Ball which made ballroom dancing difficult to say the least.  In an effort to increase the amount of space dancers have on the floor, we may be implementing some kind of capacity check.  If the room is too full, we may stop allowing people into the Ball until such time as someone leaves etc. or we might go with a dress code.  We may also be moving to a bigger room but nothing is final yet.

Ok.  Now that the boring stuff is out of the way, I will be taking song requests prior to the event, but will not be able to take them at the time of the event.  If you would like to request a song, please post here and email me at [email protected].  Additionally, I can't guarantee that all requests will be played.  Songs will have to be ballroom dancable.  If you can provide an mp3 of the song you would like to request, that will guarantee that at least you have a shot at getting it played.  I may post the playlist before the con - or not.  I will have to see how much time I have :P

Lastly, I am curious how people liked the lessons that were offered in 2007.  We are considering trying to increase the number of lessons and possibly styles for 2008.  If you would like to learn a specific type of ballroom dancing, speak up! Maybe we can put together a lesson.  This event is, like the convention, by fans for fans so I would like any feedback and/or suggestions on ways to make this event even better.

Update 2/18/08:
The Dress Code is now online on the Fanime website.  Please take a look so you are prepared when you arrive.

Update 4/21/08
The Schedule of lessons has been posted on the Fanime website.  Please take a look so you can start to plan your weekend!
-Eugene
2001 Video Programming Staffer
2002 Acting Video Programming Head
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2010 Yamaga Party Coordinator
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

so much anime to watch, so little time

Krnchichiri

Last year's BWB was pretty fun, I have to say. I'm looking forward to next years'. ^^
However, I was unable to attend the class. D: I know for quite a lot of people, they didn't appreciate having conga lines and such, since it disrupted the environment of "elegance". Hopefully though, next year will be fun and I'll be able to attend the lessons. ^^
Elizabeth [Chiri]
Registration Staff, 2007
Registration Staff, 2008

I AM AWESOME! :D

boots01

I had planned for 1 conga line during the ball but more than one formed.  Still, it's a good song so I may keep it for 2008.  Then again, maybe not.  As I've said, I'm working on expanding my selection of music.
-Eugene
2001 Video Programming Staffer
2002 Acting Video Programming Head
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2010 Yamaga Party Coordinator
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

so much anime to watch, so little time

felicity869

Quote from: boots01 on October 25, 2007, 05:04:53 AM
If the room is too full, we may stop allowing people into the Ball until such time as someone leaves etc. or we might go with a dress code.  We may also be moving to a bigger room but nothing is final yet.
I don't see why anyone would chose to limit people from comming over being prepared this time and just having it in a bigger room. Is there an issue of something bigger and more important going on in the larger room (s) at that time?

Quote from: boots01 on October 25, 2007, 05:04:53 AM
Lastly, I am curious how people liked the lessons that were offered in 2007.  We are considering trying to increase the number of lessons and possibly styles for 2008.
Personally I wasn't able to go to the lessons last year but I know if there is lessons again this year I'll make the time.

Quote from: boots01 on October 25, 2007, 10:04:50 PM
I had planned for 1 conga line during the ball but more than one formed.  Still, it's a good song so I may keep it for 2008.  Then again, maybe not.  As I've said, I'm working on expanding my selection of music.

There was one song it made sense for and during that song everyone was having fun. After that, when people were forming conga lines for everything, and running around so quick that they didn't even care who they ran into or over, it needed to stop.

My only suggestion apart form all that is have a set dresscode. A lot of people were really confused about what they should wear. I'm not saying it needs to be strick or even inforced but if there was just clear what the recommended attire theme was, I think people would really apreciate it. We got the colors but beyond that everyone was a bit lost.  Should you wear formal ball atire, a cosplay outfit, a mask?

vasher

I had fun at the ball.

Bigger room would be good, though- it got pretty damned cramped after the fist half-hour or so (and swelteringly hot).

Wasn't able to make it to the lessons, but I'm going to try my hardest for next year.

Conga line... was briefly amusing, but they knocked over stuff and nearly ran me over a few times, not to mention made it near impossible to get across the room during the songs.

Some 3/4 music would be nice, I think mostly swing type stuff was played- where were my waltzes? :)

Miyu

ummm......I'm new here at the forum and at this fanime convention. So could you guys help me out?? what exactly is the black and white ball?
....A loser is always a hero in disguise....

FinalShadows

Quote from: Miyu on November 18, 2007, 12:26:58 PM
ummm......I'm new here at the forum and at this fanime convention. So could you guys help me out?? what exactly is the black and white ball?

Just think of it as your formal/classical dance where people are usually in a suit or a dress.

Dances include Samba, Waltz, and etc... =P
Who should I call next? The Shrimp?

Chaye

Quote from: FinalShadows on November 18, 2007, 12:44:06 PM
Quote from: Miyu on November 18, 2007, 12:26:58 PM

Just think of it as your formal/classical dance where people are usually in a suit or a dress.

Dances include Samba, Waltz, and etc... =P

D= I can't do those dances darn..

AX Staff
Exhibit Hall: Asst Manager
o(≧∀≦)o

IamTetsuo

Don't worry!  They offered a crash course last year, and I'm sure they're planning on having a couple of classes this year too.  The basics of the dances aren't too difficult.

And even if you can't make it to the classes, don't worry.  Just go and have a good time!

OniCourseMusha

Just slow dance... I did that all the time!!
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

Chaye

so.. is there like a certain dress to follow or is it like.. cosplay good. o.o I mean I'm planning to go in a lolita dress would that be fine?  ???

AX Staff
o(≧∀≦)o

Krnchichiri

Quote from: Chaye on November 19, 2007, 10:26:03 PM
so.. is there like a certain dress to follow or is it like.. cosplay good. o.o I mean I'm planning to go in a lolita dress would that be fine?  ???

The BWB staff might be considering enforcing the black-and-white themed garb this year, but what you choose wear (whilst considering the dress code) is entirely up to you. Cosplay is pefectly fine, so is just black pants and a white shirt.
^^
Elizabeth [Chiri]
Registration Staff, 2007
Registration Staff, 2008

I AM AWESOME! :D

otakuapprentice

Quote from: Krnchichiri on November 20, 2007, 08:54:08 AM

The BWB staff might be considering enforcing the black-and-white themed garb this year, but what you choose wear (whilst considering the dress code) is entirely up to you. Cosplay is pefectly fine, so is just black pants and a white shirt.
^^
enforcing it to the classic black-and-white themed garb might be a bit too much: having it set to a simple "formal dress attire" rule would be a good choice and flexible as well.

Not everyone owns/has your general B&W ball attire, so formal attire(meaning a simple dress for the ladies, and your regular suit for the guys) would be within most peoples wardrobes, but classic B&W ball clothes would be very much encouraged.

Cosplay would probably be fine but nothing extravagant, due to the risk of it probably getting ruined/damaged while dancing/moving through the crowds.

also, nothing super extravagant; this somewhat falls under the cosplay point that it might get damaged/ruined(ladies, leave the 15-layer dress at home, plzkthnx) during the ball.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Chaye

^^

Oh then I'm good -giggles- my dress is literally black and white ^^

AX Staff
o(≧∀≦)o

FinalShadows

Quote from: Chaye on November 21, 2007, 11:08:29 AM

^^

I'll sit down on the side and watch you =P
Who should I call next? The Shrimp?

Chaye

Quote from: FinalShadows on November 21, 2007, 11:13:59 AM
Quote from: Chaye on November 21, 2007, 11:08:29 AM

^^

I'll sit down on the side and watch you =P

xP fine I'll dance with someone else meany. xD

anyone want to dance with me? xDD

AX Staff
o(≧∀≦)o

Shinsengumi

If they do it again next year I might check it out I don't know yet.
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

OniCourseMusha

Quote from: Chaye on November 21, 2007, 07:14:19 PM

xP fine I'll dance with someone else meany. xD

anyone want to dance with me? xDD

Since I'm pretty nice.  I'll dance wit u.  And girls are welcome to come to me and ask.  I'm the dude wit glasses (to make things easy, just look for the guy that looks like brain age guy).

It's kinda funny my girlfriend told me it's okay for me to dance wit other partner even though I feel guilty sometimes.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

DivineChaos

It's really cool because all the people that are cosplaying as something bleach are technically wearing within the dress code, unless it has to be somewhat formal.  Otherwise, power to the Bleachers.

Gothik-Tenkasen

As far as a dress code is envolved, I would suggest that black and white is prefered, although not required. What I think everyone should have is a classic MASK. How much fun would that be? =D Everyone's in cosplay and they have a mask to boot. Nothing fancy, but it'd be fun.
She makes me feel like it's raining outside
And when the stars come I'm all torn up inside